PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from XSPC Delta V3

JDawg
01-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm using an XSPC Delta V3 water block right now on my i7 920 overclocked to 3.8GHz. I thought about replacing it with something better like the EK Supreme HF full copper block. The question I have is how much of an improvement can I expect? Right now with my yate loon fans spinning at around 600 rpm my core temps are around 74-78°C. With the fans at max speed it doesn't go above 69°C.

Here's what i'm using in my water cooling setup.

Swiftech MCR320 with yate loon fans
DDC2 pump with Petra's top
Swiftech Reservoir
1/2 inch tubing

RCG_Bex
01-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Probably a good few degrees imo. I was running a Delta V3 and the stepping on it I felt didn't help for i7. I've got the RASA now and it's a much better solution than the Delta V3. Only about 1c difference to that of the EK Supreme HF which is top of the board

~Bex

Biffa
01-16-2011, 04:24 PM
I've used the v3 before moving on to the new blocks on the block (sic), and have used the following so far, the Rasa, HK Supreme HF and the HK3.0 and they are all much of a muchness as Bex says.

You will probably affect the temps on your loop more by chosing the wrong fans or pulling when you should be pushing (fans that is) than the couple of degress of difference in the block. Go more for fitting ease and check a few reviews.

You don't say if its a c0 or d0 i7 920. You could also just have a hot chip. I had a d0 i7 920@3.9 with the v3 and temps never went over 72 even in summer and that was just with an externally mounted RS240.

Johnny87au
01-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Well from reading some charts with a i7 @ 4.4 not much of a difference, but everyone has different results.. Usually 3-6C difference using a HF..

JDawg
01-17-2011, 12:41 PM
If its just a few degrees difference I think it might not be worth it to spend nearly a hundred dollars after shipping cost to upgrade. I bought the cpu when it first came out so I think its an older C0 stepping that was hotter and needed higher voltages.