PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion?

Computurd
01-15-2011, 10:52 AM
so i have a setup here, a HK3.0 waterblock for my cpu, a EK full board waterblock for my classified, and some dangerden waterblocks for my gpus. these are all connected to a large modified honda radiator. now, the radiator has UBER cooling power, and i dont need to run a res because it has such capacity.
so the only thing here is that when i initially did this build i wasn't too concerned about corrosion because i was told that if there was no electrical connection between the components i would be fine. the rad sets apart from the rig on a wooden block. the only connection is the tubing.
now someone tells me that the water is an electrical connection and i should be worried.
so should i be worried? and if there is corrosion, how long until it could produce some tangible destruction/problem? this has been going for two years and no probs as of yet...i run distilled water and ptnuke.
and if there is an issue, what can i do to deal with it?

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u332/paullie1/2010-08-3119-00-38102-1-1.jpg
http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u332/paullie1/2010-07-2622-00-49018.jpg

d4rk_ch1ld
01-15-2011, 11:21 AM
U can have problem if u have aluminium and copper in your loop. If u have, u can put some anti-corrosion fluid in your loop.

Sideroxylon
01-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Cool setup. Too bad the rad is aluminum. You probably haven't seen any issues because your rad is the only aluminum part in your loop. Any corrosion issues are going to be internal within the rad and most likely difficult to see. Just use some anti-freeze at about a 10%-15% ratio and you should be fine.

bmaverick
01-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Back in the early 2000s, Corsair had the HydroCool 200EX. It had a copper/brass block and an aluminum RAD. The coolant mixture to prevent corrosion was 33% Propylene Glycol to 66% distilled water. A 1/3 to 2/3 ratio not 50/50. Yes, the water in the loop is distilled until it comes into contact with the metals. It's best to use distilled so as the PG coolant corrosion inhibitors are not used up right away.

Also, the Dell H2C series gaming machines use this same mixture with copper/aluminum metal mixes. These machines are still running well today.

Computurd
01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
so i should get some propylene glycol and run a 33 percent ratio with it?

Waterlogged
01-15-2011, 04:47 PM

:yepp: either that or remove the rad. ;)

bmaverick
01-15-2011, 06:44 PM

PG is easy to pick up at Walmart, Kmart, Lowes, RV centers and Marine. If you can not find the concentrated and only the 50/50 mixture, you will have to add more distilled water to balance the ratio. Just do not go below the 33% PG else the protection inhibitors will be less.

Red M
01-16-2011, 12:59 AM
You can get away with anti-corrosive additives but personally I'd never mix copper and aluminum in the same loop these days, even if the aluminum is anodized. Not since I had a nasty shock when I opened a copper based anodized top GPU block a few years back :eek:

On the other hand it might be worth trying a mix in your liquid if you don't mind taking the risk coz that rads one sexy beast... and I do mean beast!

Computurd
01-16-2011, 08:36 PM
thx :) she is a horse, cools 250 horsepower L:OL but seriously it takes the chipset and the chip@ 4.6 and two heavily oc'd 280s like a champ. i mean it just doesnt budge! i have hooked up a tbalancer here recently and the fans can run ultra low even under load and keep damn good temps.

only thing here, is the glycol going to effect temps and whatnot? also, will that easily be removed form blocks and such>?

also being stupid and such, here is a link, this work?
http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Propylene-Glycol-Gallon-DSO1183/dp/B001BM38OG
and why in the world would walmart have it? what do people use this for other than water cooling?

Waterlogged
01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Just go to a local department store or auto parts store and look for antifreeze that claims to be safer for pets/animals/environment then read the label to see if it has propylene glycol in it, odds are it should...or you could just ask the brain dead guys/gals behind the counter and laugh at the dumb look on their face as they try to answer you. ;)

Computurd
01-16-2011, 09:04 PM
cool so it wouldnt have to be 100 percent propylene glycol. cool that was a big question for me. so antifreeze with that stuff in it and im good to go :)

Waterlogged
01-16-2011, 09:06 PM
:yepp:

Computurd
02-18-2011, 10:48 PM
ok so i have this prestone rv waterline antifreeze and it says not to mix it that it is ready to use. now i assume they are trying to sell more of this :banana::banana::banana::banana: so they dont want ya to dilute it. anyways nowhere on the bottle does it say its pre-diluted or whatever. traked down the msds and it says this:

ECTION 2: PRODUCT COMPONENTS

HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS CAS# PERCENT EXPOSURE LIMITS
Propylene Glycol 57-55-6 20-40 None Established

NON-HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS >1%
Water 7732-18-5

so i am assuming i need to dilute it. it is ugly pink lol but it will look great going through my red powder coated danger den tietons....

Conumdrum
02-18-2011, 10:58 PM
LOL. You ask the funnest questions. This MUST be a setup.
How many times do we preach no additives to the water. Distilled and a biocide.
Your an Infidel!
Ohh wait, your doing non-normal odd cooling, well I have no idea, I follow the sheep and help guide the ones who follow another drummer.

Seriously........

Or look at VW antifreeze, top notch I hear and it's red. Or was it Toyota. Good stuff it was blue. I think, one is red and one is blue.

Try a 50%, watch temps. If it's too high drop to 40%, and hope for the best in long term on the copper parts. The CPU block will see it first.

Computurd
02-18-2011, 11:06 PM
thanks, i isolated my gpus onto that rad, as it is the only component that i could care less about they are gtx280. old school. thats fine though, they are good enough to get me four core world record in PCMark Vantage:p:

They are so old they will be replaced within months, then i will retire my old radiator. i bought it off of a very close friend a few years back, he modded it personally. Unfortunately he has passed away. he taught me just about everything i know about building computers, and was a patient son of a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: to deal with me so it is a bit of a sentimental thing.

the rest of the components have been taken off of that loop. i have raid card/ram/cpu/and fullboard block on a MIPS double and also the stacker. using uber rads and whatnot with 2 PMP 400 on that separate loop.

Conumdrum
02-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Okay, sorry.... Still....

Yea, Your right. My bad. I'll go delete/change.

Computurd
02-18-2011, 11:17 PM
i do like your name too. however, you spelled it wrong. its conuNdrum. LOL

http://www.answers.com/topic/conundrum

Conumdrum
02-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Hehe, yep, another intelligence meter. I was wrong, edited. One of those moments......

Computurd
02-18-2011, 11:29 PM
well i spelled mine with a computUrd...would be different if it was spelled computErd. but not much i guess LOL
edited as well:up: