PDA

View Full Version : Sunbeam RheoSmart6 Fan Controller

SCTony
01-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Hello, I am looking for ideas or information on this controller- RheoSmart6 (http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/Rheosmart/6.html). It seems to be just about what I have been looking for. Fan controllers overall seem to be of pretty low quality so I have been waiting to see what becomes available. I do not find this controller for sale anywhere except XOxide (http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-rheosmart-6-fan-controller.html) and the price there is not too bad $30.
techReaction(?) gives it a good review here (http://www.techreaction.net/2010/12/16/review-sunbeam-rheosmart-6-fan-controller/) . What do you think about this controller? Does anyone else carry it? Thank you.

Captain_Harlock
01-13-2011, 03:39 PM
It just came out a few weeks ago in the U.S. so its still pretty new. I saw that review when it came out and tried to find one to play with but nobody was selling it then. I love the rheobus line and have used them for the past couple of years. This revamped model seems to solve the biggest problem of the rheobus line and thats the super BRIGHT LED's that can blind you when the knobs are on max. You could always swap out the LED's (which I did with my 4 channel model), or pull them straight up (which I did on my first 6 channel model), or even just clip one of the LED posts on each LED to kill the light all together. In the end, I just did that on my current one. Other than that little issue, these are rock solid performers and the price is perfect for what you get. I'd say that $30 for the new RheoSmart line, is a give me if you are looking for a top quality budget line of fan controllers.

Now I'm just waiting for the new aquario feature list and price to be released as I want a step up from my Rheobus and the new RheoSmart is pretty much a minor makeover. Still great value though.

SCTony
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks Captain. I just tried to order it at Xoxide and they have no inventory. Jab-tech told me they should have it ina few weeks. Cheers.:toast:

SCTony
01-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Currently in stock at NEWEGG (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995075) for $35. :yepp:

Johnny87au
01-20-2011, 04:03 AM
Very neat controller, 30w per channel x6 :D

bundymania
01-20-2011, 06:14 AM
looks promising -hopefully itīs available at caseking.de soon :)

NaeKuh
01-20-2011, 11:44 AM
sunbeam makes great rheobuss's with big sinks.

Never had a problem with them except the brightness in there LED's.

Other then that, i use a sunbeam, however i would like to give lamptron another try on there pwm controllers.

Alexandr0s
01-21-2011, 02:07 AM
I agree, Lamptron has some extremely nice controllers as well.
What I like about the Rheosmart is the fact that it's able to use the PWM signal from the motherboard as well as its own signal, to allow for some extra control.

Martinm210
01-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Nice! Been thinking about this one and pretty happy with my old sunbeam rheo. I think I'll pick one up when I make my next hardware order. Where are those darn W2...:)

Although I could only wish they make the next one operate independent of MB PWM control. I'd really like to ramp my fan speeds up and down via a much less jumpy water temperature probe. Something like a 25C=20% to 30C=100% ramp up/down would be my ideal rather than the fans ramping up at every little calculation blip.

tool_462
01-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Was waiting for these to come out, my Lamptron FC6 is quite sufficient but the Sunbeam has the same mesh cover as the front of my case, not worth it to "upgrade" but I have little doubt that it is a badass controller. Don't hesitate to buy any of the Sunbeam Rheobus controllers, quality stuff from an otherwise low-quality company :rofl:

Martinm210
01-21-2011, 04:51 AM
Was waiting for these to come out, my Lamptron FC6 is quite sufficient but the Sunbeam has the same mesh cover as the front of my case, not worth it to "upgrade" but I have little doubt that it is a badass controller. Don't hesitate to buy any of the Sunbeam Rheobus controllers, quality stuff from an otherwise low-quality company :rofl:

I still recall growing up and constantly battling my Sunbeam lawn mower. That thing was my nemesis every week (Have a can of starting fluid handy at all times). There were days that I had to give up and try again the next..

Who would have thought they would be making PC fan controllers some 25 years later (I think ATARI just came out at the time).. I don't think I'll be buying another lawn mower from them any time soon, but the fan controllers are really well built (I really like the large heatsinks).

Johnny87au
01-21-2011, 05:59 PM
large heatsinks and the molex connector isnt as close to the channels on the lamptron controllers, Really pissed me off when hooking up my fc2 or fc3 cant quite remember.. was 25w per channel though..

Captain_Harlock
01-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Wrong Sunbeam Martin, this one is only a decade old and based out of Taiwan. The propper name is Sunbeamtech. http://www.sunbeamtech.com/about_us.html

When I bought my first thing from them a few years ago, I thought the same thing you did. lol