PDA

View Full Version : A64 NF3 Boards

doctorcod
01-13-2004, 12:44 AM
I know this has been posted a couple times in different ways, and i have been scouring the forums to find the info i need (im new here). But it seems that the gigabyte motherboard is the most popular among the A64 owners, i just need to know which one to buy with the nf3 chipset. Please anyone with an A64 rig, please post your comments, praises, and criticisms of your boards, thanks!

Maxvla
01-13-2004, 01:25 AM
the shuttle AN50R is getting alot of praise here. good overclocker for the money. i ordered one today for my main rig. :)

the K8N gigabyte is a really stripped down board. not even a firewire port. check on the nicer NF3 board from them and you will see exactly what you are missing on the K8N. all kinds of added parts on the nicer one but its alot more money.

the shuttle has most of those options including dual nics with one of them sporting gigabit lan.

doctorcod
01-13-2004, 12:38 PM
thanks for your input, so basically now its between the shuttle and the chaintech. shall i just go with which is cheaper? oh yeah maxvla how do you like your pal heatsink? is it doin you right?

doctorcod
01-13-2004, 12:53 PM
As for the memory i was going to get mushkin level 2 3500, but since the a64s dont overclock that well anyway should i just go with some level 1 3200 or level 2 3200? i was going to get a 1gb

Maxvla
01-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by gooch02000
thanks for your input, so basically now its between the shuttle and the chaintech. shall i just go with which is cheaper? oh yeah maxvla how do you like your pal heatsink? is it doin you right?
i don't have it yet. the cpu/board/heatsink are yet to be delivered on my main rig. i was just bored and decided to update my sig early.

i will let everyone know how it performs. i'll be using a 80mm tornado on it with a rheobus.. naturally.

Maxvla
01-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by gooch02000
As for the memory i was going to get mushkin level 2 3500, but since the a64s dont overclock that well anyway should i just go with some level 1 3200 or level 2 3200? i was going to get a 1gb better hurry your decision because mushkin has run out of BH5 chips which means no more black lvl 2. you can't order it from them anymore. the only stock remaining is at resellers like newegg.

to overclock at all with an A64 (200mhz bus remember) you are going to need good ram. i'd go with the level 2 if you can afford it. 1gb. no less.