PDA

View Full Version : PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra - Does it support Today's Bluray Movies??

IamAnoobieCheez
01-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Not sure if I posted this in the right section but I thought this section is close enough..

Is anyone able to play today's blu-ray movies using PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra??

I've been having some problems playing them with mine especially the newer disc titles... the old ones play ok. I think I'm still on some old version of patches.

Back to my QUESTION: Is anyone able to play today's blu-ray movies using PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra?? If so, please do respond and tell me what version of the patch you installed and when.

Thanks sweetiez.:welcome:

Nanometer
01-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Version 7.3 will not play all the bluray titles. I am not sure why that is the case, but perhaps it's related to a slight change in the codecs that was overlooked in 7.3. I do know that version 10 plays everything, and that is the version that I have and use to play blurays.

Donnie27
01-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Not sure if I posted this in the right section but I thought this section is close enough..

Is anyone able to play today's blu-ray movies using PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra??

I've been having some problems playing them with mine especially the newer disc titles... the old ones play ok. I think I'm still on some old version of patches.

Back to my QUESTION: Is anyone able to play today's blu-ray movies using PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra?? If so, please do respond and tell me what version of the patch you installed and when.

Thanks sweetiez.:welcome:

Your need at least version 9 retail. Be warned, I have it and it is full of DRM. Then you're only allowed one install. Hell, even a reinstall on the same system requires a call to Cyberlink:rolleyes:

IamAnoobieCheez
01-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Well, I think my system problem might be more complex....

I hate Cyberlink. It (7.3 ultra) cannot play old bluray movies now. It says it requires an update. I don't have internet connection.:( This is crazy, cause 4 years ago it played fine, same titles, WITH old patch, or with NO patch!!! I had to go to my home #2 to get the patch.:rolleyes: All these patches confuse me now. I don't know what the heck is going on.:shrug:

I tried the ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 that I got not long ago. With a single install of recent patch it plays literally everything.. But it has some video issues. Whenever viewing 1:1.85 anamorphic or 16:7 titles such as "Unfaithful" or "Crank" the top side of the video across the screen is distorted and it gets very, very annoying. PowerDVD doesn't do this, it plays titles beautifully without any issues.

Anyways, my blu-ray drive recently started making weird noise randomly when I play the discs and failed to play any bluray titles via PowerDVD. So I reinstalled it, it now plays.... but then after trying a couple of titles, it makes the weird noise again and stops playing the next disc. I reinstalled PowerDVD again and it worked.. It's keep looping in the same cycle. Break - Reinstall - Break - Reinstall.:rolleyes: TotalMedia Theatre 3 acted up too, but it behaved MUCH better than the PowerDVD. When it fails to play all I had to do was a reboot. It plays the titles then. It goes into same cycle again, Break - Reboot - Break - Reboot.:rolleyes: I went to computer management and checked the system under event viewer and it showed over 100 rolls of failure, they all say CD/DVD drive failure or driver problem something like that.:rofl: Does this mean it's my drive is bad or PowerDVD/TMT is causing this? I am not sure what the cause is.

Thanks chaps.

PaganII
01-12-2011, 11:14 PM
I bought a BD-ROM that came with PDVD8 which plays BD. Then upgraded to PDVD10 3D for the high quality sound and 3D. Works well.

Nanometer
01-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Yea, many bluray drives are coming with free software, at least the two I bought did.

Donnie27
01-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Yea, many bluray drives are coming with free software, at least the two I bought did.

The free software worked with my LiteOn BD player. The problem was the Free Power DVD 8 is only 2 Ch. I been spoiled by sweet surround sound to settle for 2Ch. At least 9 supports the surround Formats and 10 for 3D.

I'm playing with other software because I'd don't like Power DVD. Why?

Reboot. I went to computer management and checked the system under event viewer and it showed over 100 rolls of failure, they all say CD/DVD drive failure or driver problem something like that. Does this mean it's my drive is bad or PowerDVD/TMT is causing this? I am not sure what the cause is.

At least 3 others have said they had similar problems and one respected guy at CD-Freaks swears its DRM at work.:ROTF: Honestly, I believe him.