PDA

View Full Version : Noob WC'ing question about barbs...

vulcZ
01-06-2011, 04:21 PM
So I bought a cheap radiator to throw into my loop as an extra measure (http://www.svc.com/rad-3110.html). When I got the radiator I noticed it came with some barbs. I tried to install them and it was pretty hard, but I finally got them in. However, it gets to a point where they don't go in any more, but it still doesn't look like the seal on the barb has pressed against radiator so I'm worried this will leak, despite the fact that the barbs went in very tightly as-is.

Is it okay to add some plumber's tape (the white stuff that goes on the thread and helps seal)? Is it ever a good idea to use that stuff? When I've worked with barbs and radiators in the past they've always gone in far enough to where the seal on the barb itself is what prevented leaks. This is the first time this has ever happened to me. It could just be because the radiator is crappy, I'm not sure. I'm still learning here :)

penguins
01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Fill it with water and use tube to connect the barbs and see if it leaks

vulcZ
01-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah I was going to test it when I got home, but I decided to post mainly because I was wondering about the plumber's tape. It probably isn't needed for most situations, but I'm thinking that it can serve as an extra layer of protection :) I also wasn't sure if running into this kind of problem is uncommon or not. I've WC'ed before, but not on my own setup. I used parts that were already provided for.

penguins
01-06-2011, 05:03 PM
I've never used a hwlabs rad, never had problems with barbs

Church
01-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Maybe with rads plumber tape usage is possible, but i suggest to not use that tape for acrylic reservoirs, where it's possible to break/crack them by screwing in fitting with tape on it. And even on rads .. i'd rather seek for different/thicker O-ring to make leak-less seal.

penguins
01-06-2011, 08:25 PM
is it possible to use a spacer like bp's http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_346_393_622 ?
it seems like it would fix what he's talking about.. and why not throw more money at it?
or is it something else lol :)

Church
01-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Distancers .. don't know .. at the beginning it was all about stock barbs that rad came with .. does it matter much how to get them fit better? I for example install same type of fittings for aesthetical reasons everywhere, and don't care a slightest bit about fittings some component might came with (except maybe fact that i'd prefer to get that component without stock fittings that i won't use, with less shipping weight and for cheaper).

Waterlogged
01-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Are the barbs plastic or metal? If plastic, they are likely the old NPT thread type that Danger Den likes to include for some silly reason, in which case, they're not supposed to go all the way down and you should use Teflon tape on them. If metal(especially with o-rings), that's a definite problem, one I'd need pics for.

vulcZ
01-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! So tonight I decided to do a preliminary leak test and my my worst nightmare came through, these barbs both leaked :( the problem is that I don't know what to do next. I don't understand why DD would supply these barbs if they don't go in all the way. It's possible that both of mine (or my radiator) are defective, but everything LOOKS okay with the threads and the machining. I don't know if I should simply just try to tighten them down more or or if u should just send the radiator back and try a different one.

I think I have a few slavers laying around from my video card. I'll give that a shot :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Holst
01-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! So tonight I decided to do a preliminary leak test and my my worst nightmare came through, these barbs both leaked :( the problem is that I don't know what to do next. I don't understand why DD would supply these barbs if they don't go in all the way. It's possible that both of mine (or my radiator) are defective, but everything LOOKS okay with the threads and the machining. I don't know if I should simply just try to tighten them down more or or if u should just send the radiator back and try a different one.

I think I have a few slavers laying around from my video card. I'll give that a shot :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

It sounds like the supplied barbs are probably tapered threads.

These are designed for use with PTFE tape and need only be tightened until they form a good seal. Without the tape they will leak.
Over tightening them can damage the threads on the barb and the rad and can easily crack perspex. Dont just keep tightening them, put a decent amount of tape on and tighten them gently, with the tape you dont need them mega tight.

I still use these fittings on my rad and reservoir and they have worked perfectly for many years.

If you fit the PTFE tape carefully it looks neat enough.

vulcZ
01-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks Holst!

Yeah I think maybe you're right, though I wish that kind of information was provided to me when I first started putting it together. I was able to install a few spacers + o-ring that came with my 5970, and it seemed to seal okay (at least from the looks of it). It was late so I didn't really have time to leak test again but I'm going to leak test tonight. If this isn't good enough I'll just try adding more plumber's tape and see if it works :)

Worst case scenario I return this radiator and go with a different model lol.