PDA

View Full Version : K8V, 3000+, 9700Pro problems

Ranger Loki
01-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Right now, I am trying to figure out why it isn't porforming as well as it should be.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7438903

I have been told I should be hitting around 20K at least on my setup at stock speeds and no tweaking. I just reformatted and everything, haven't done a thing except update what I know and can(windows update isn't working for some dumb ass reason).

I'm curious what you all have to say about it.

I am also not able to overclock much at all, I have the Zalman 7000 Copper heatsink and lots of cooling, my CPU runs 28C according to the BIOS and ASUS Probe... yet I am unstable all the time. I have even had crashes at stock speeds for no reason at all.

This is my first time back on an AMD rig in a couple years, and my very first Radeon ever... also my first VIA chipset. So I don't know what drivers are best or anything.

VIA 4n1's 4.51
CAT 3.10's

Shade00
01-12-2004, 02:13 PM
That looks about right. 20k is not going to happen on a stock 3000+ with a stock 9700 Pro.

My setup seems unstable even at stock speeds, too. I get blue screens at the most random times, with no error given. I don't know whether to pin it on the board or the CPU; I've just about eliminated everything else.

alz85
01-12-2004, 02:48 PM
the reason you can't clock very high is that there is no agp lock, and ATI cards don't like high AGP.

ATI can get in trouble beginning at 72 MHz agp = 216 MHz fsb = 2160 MHz cpu speed.

The only way around it is buying an nForce3 or an nVidia card.

Maybe try to set HT to 600 MHz and vlink voltage to 2.6v.

Ranger Loki
01-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Really, this is a good score for stock/default everything?

What about overclocking? How do I go about overclocking this setup? It is so different than what I am used to.

I have tried to OC to 220, but it is very unstable. Can't seem to do much :( I have no idea what alot of the stuff is in the BIOS. I feel so noobish.

Ranger Loki
01-12-2004, 02:50 PM
What is the vLink voltage for? and how will setting the Hypertransport to 600 gonna help? I am curious becuase I don't know these things anymore it seems.

s e t h
01-13-2004, 01:12 PM
use a proggie called clockgen to lower the cpu multiplier while within windows. that way you can push everythin else without your cpu interfereing with your analisys.

edit: if you restart to enter the bios your lower cpu multiplier will hold