PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Display Anomaly

Capt Proton
01-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Just got a little netbook. Bought it off EBay. It was advertised as having a vertical band with different colors than they should be. There are actually two, one about 50 pixels or so in width, and another that is about two or three pixels wide.
I do not see this when it is in the POST screen, or initial Windows (Vista 32 bit) loading screen. It is evident as soon as the welcome screen pops up.
It is also present in safe mode.
I can aso see it when I am in the BIOS.
Looking for ideas as to what to try to narrow the possibilities down. Hardware?

s0lid
01-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Panel itself, it has mostlikely taken somekind of damage :)

I've one eeepc 900 with horizontal line at the middle of screen that's about 5-10 pixels high.

josh1980
01-04-2011, 08:19 AM
The horizontal and vertical lines are based on the voltages along the horizontal and vertical paths being shorted or broken by physical damage. I can understand why you might think it's not physical damage because it doesn't show up on the POST screens or initial loading screen, but that is likely because the background is black and so the change in voltages across the LCD matrix(the pixel rows and columns) probably allows the problem to mask itself.

You COULD try wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows. You might find that there is some kind of malicious software or bug causing the problem. But I'd wager that your screen is physically damaged.