PDA

View Full Version : Any DJ's?

skier
12-31-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm getting into virtual DJ (though my lappy can't run it well so I can't use it till next week)

I am a big fan of big bass lines and Electro Club House, with the occasional dubstep influence, want to make a tune with Exceeder and with Like a G6 (yea, I don't use bass at all LOL)

anyone use DJ software? I don't have any tables or anything, but still want to play a bit

ARandomOWL
12-31-2010, 04:08 PM
I have been using VDJ for a few weeks just messing around. I am also into bass (dubstep/DnB mainly). I have put a few tracks on soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/arandomowl).

What I would say is - you have to also know the music's structure to achieve a good mix. I don't think it's a great idea to pick two songs and try to make them work together (although it can be done reasonably well somtimes). I would listen to a range of songs from a genre and try to work out where would be best to beatmatch them together or maybe drop one into another. Remember, DJing is about creating a musical journey for the listener.

From one noob to another :)

skier
12-31-2010, 04:16 PM
I have been using VDJ for a few weeks just messing around. I am also into bass (dubstep/DnB mainly). I have put a few tracks on soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/arandomowl).

What I would say is - you have to also know the music's structure to achieve a good mix. I don't think it's a great idea to pick two songs and try to make them work together (although it can be done reasonably well somtimes). I would listen to a range of songs from a genre and try to work out where would be best to beatmatch them together or maybe drop one into another. Remember, DJing is about creating a musical journey for the listener.

From one noob to another :)

haha thanks, I figured mixing would be easy because I have a very specific taste

I just hate that all the mixes of Like a G6 are 100% crap, I'm in love with the beat

ARandomOWL
12-31-2010, 04:25 PM
haha thanks, I figured mixing would be easy because I have a very specific taste

I just hate that all the mixes of Like a G6 are 100% crap, I'm in love with the beat

Just because two songs are from the same genre doesn't mean that they will mix together well. The keys may be too different and they may clash or they may just generally not sound right together. Have a read of the VDJ forums, there is a lot of good info in there.

By "mixes of Like a G6", do you mean "remixes"? If so that is not quite the same as a "mix". A remix is a modification of the track to make it sound different. Whereas a mix is the playing of two or more track in succession with an overlap in between tracks.

skier
12-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Just because two songs are from the same genre doesn't mean that they will mix together well. The keys may be too different and they may clash or they may just generally not sound right together. Have a read of the VDJ forums, there is a lot of good info in there.

By "mixes of Like a G6", do you mean "remixes"? If so that is not quite the same as a "mix". A remix is a modification of the track to make it sound different. Whereas a mix is the playing of two or more track in succession with an overlap in between tracks.

Remix*

I use both the same way from seeing it on song titles (as if mix is shorthand), picking up other stupid peoples habits i guess

does Dubhau5 have pendulum or am I crazy?

ARandomOWL
12-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Remix*

I use both the same way from seeing it on song titles (as if mix is shorthand), picking up other stupid peoples habits i guess

does Dubhau5 have pendulum or am I crazy?

Hmm yes, sometimes mix is used as shorthand for remix. But used properly, the terms are different.

Dubhau5 has no pendulum in it. SO I guess you're crazy :D

skier
12-31-2010, 05:11 PM
oh it's just that the bit from 9:30 to 14:00 seems like it. know the tune, just can't place what it's from

I see you're a bit more dubby than I am though haha

Not that there's anything wrong with that

ARandomOWL
12-31-2010, 05:17 PM
oh it's just that the bit from 9:30 to 14:00 seems like it. know the tune, just can't place what it's from

Deadmau5 - Ghosts n stuff

Actually the vocalist is Rob Swire from Pendulum so you were right :D

skier
12-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Deadmau5 - Ghosts n stuff

Actually the vocalist is Rob Swire from Pendulum so you were right :D

hahaha THAT'S why I was so confused

only deadmau5 I listen to is a wolfgang gartner REmix, Animal Rights Illmerica is sweet too

ARandomOWL
12-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Animal Rights is actually one of my least favourites.

Hope I helped. Now go experiment and have fun :D

skier
12-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Animal Rights is actually one of my least favourites.

Hope I helped. Now go experiment and have fun :D

you ever hear Wolfgang Gartner? has a few good ones

ARandomOWL
12-31-2010, 06:57 PM
No I don't believe I have. I guess I will browse youtube. Thanks for the suggestion :)

In-Fluence
03-21-2011, 03:34 AM
I'm a vinyl man myself, although I do live shows of my own material from time to time with various hardware & acousticians. Also got some tunes up on soundcloud and http://www.in-fluence.com but I have had a rather large lull for about a year - need more inspiration!

shoota
03-24-2011, 08:34 PM
i'm not sure I understand the attraction to dubstep. I find it uninspiring and dull. Maybe I'm too old, can someone explain it to me?

In-Fluence
03-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Not a huge fan myself either, but there have been moments when I've walked into a club and 'felt' what they mean. When played loud enough (on a good enough system, and with good enough tunes) it really is something to savour. It's all about the bass and sparse atmosphere. I prefer some real dark d&b, a lot of what I like leads towards techno & dubstep.

shoota
03-25-2011, 04:30 PM
ah, see i don't like dark music. I much prefer the uplifting trance tracks made by the greats like Tiesto, Oakenfold, Paul van Dyk, etc..

In-Fluence
03-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I'm a little partial to those guys, have some of their CDs from long ago (oakenfold's journeys by dj was one of my faves back then). Even wrote a few back in the day too (on my trusty old Amiga 1200T :))

shoota
03-26-2011, 07:45 PM
nice! i wish i had been around for the advent of the electronic music age. ya know the true "golden era". that would have kicked ass

In-Fluence
03-27-2011, 03:36 AM
yeah, it was a lot of fun :) there's still a lot going on though, and some astounding developments in genres, still in a good era I reckon!

pC*
04-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Hardcore will never die !:rocker: