PDA

View Full Version : How Important is a Radiator?

Bad213Boy
12-31-2010, 11:57 AM
I was wondering if anyone ditched a radiator in a small loop? I wanted to use my extra Liang D5 on my graphics card. I have an extra small size reservoir, the Alphacool Cape Coolplex Pro 10 External (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4529) (approx 150 ml).

Will the graphics card get too hot for this loop?

Pump=>GPU=>Reservior

zalbard
12-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Erm, how are you planning to cool the water if you have no radiator? Waiting for the tiny metal parts of your waterblocks, pump and res to exchange heat with air?
This will not work.
Radiator is critically important for performance of a loop.

Scubar
12-31-2010, 12:04 PM
No radiator = no heat transfer from water back to air.

If anything drop the reservoir to save space and put even a tiny little 80mm radiator + fan. It woudl still be a MASSIVE increase in heat dissipation over having no radiator at all though i still certainly wouldnt recommend doing this.

88EVGAFTW
12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
ROFL is this a serious thread? I almost fell off my chair :rofl: :rofl: :ROTF: :ROTF: :rofl: :clap:

Sadasius
12-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Not important at all......Only vital! Your water will keep heating up till it is boiling then a hose will pop off at the weakest link and kill your system. Then the water will rape your family and burn your house down. A rad prevents all that! :D

Boulard83
12-31-2010, 12:32 PM
ROFL is this a serious thread? I almost fell off my chair :rofl: :rofl: :ROTF: :ROTF: :rofl: :clap:

Me too .... ! :ROTF:

Kurz
12-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Heat still needs to be transfered into the environment.
Radiator is the most efficient way to do that.

The Loop will still radiate heat without the radiator, though it doesn't have sufficient Surface area to do it efficiently.
Basically you'll be better off with the stock cooler than a loop without a radiator.

I agree with the rest if you don't have a Radiator don't plan on making this loop, you need the Radiator!

coolhandluke41
12-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Not important at all......Only vital! Your water will keep heating up till it is boiling then a hose will pop off at the weakest link and kill your system. Then the water will rape your family and burn your house down. A rad prevents all that! :D

^+1 :yepp::clap:

IFMU
12-31-2010, 12:46 PM
The overall point is right, a radiator of some kind is needed. While an exact 'radiator' is up for debate when whatever the loop may be cooling, you do need something to dispense the actual heat from the system. The easiest way, as should be obvious, is via a radiator. Now you can use smaller radiators or maybe even some up with some kind of other idea that would disperse the heat out of the system.

People, if you have some kind of problem with a legit question, stay the f out of it. Is it seriously that hard to just ignore something you have nothing to share on? :rolleyes:

Bad213Boy
12-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Lol, I know it was a stupid question, but I still wanted to ask :p:

Sadasius
12-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Bah no worries.....We all ask all kinds of things and most of us can take a joke. It's all cool!

NaeKuh
12-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Pump=>GPU=>Reservior

no wont work... heat will build up eventually to the point of boiling your water.

Even when you run only a DDC on a MCR220 without fans... in a few hours that will get hot even.

Waterlogged
12-31-2010, 01:42 PM
no wont work... heat will build up eventually to the point of boiling your water.

Even when you run only a DDC on a MCR220 without fans... in a few hours that will get hot even.

I was expecting a certain picture in your post. :stick:;)

ScottALot
12-31-2010, 01:53 PM
What about the guy who ran tubing underground into his yard?

zalbard
12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
That's not exactly "a small loop", though, is it? :p:

coolhandluke41
12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
@IFMU.."People, if you have some kind of problem with a legit question, stay the f out of it. Is it seriously that hard to just ignore something you have nothing to share on?"
This is really unnecessary
qoute; "Lol, I know it was a stupid question, but I still wanted to ask "
the question was already addressed and what's wrong with having a little bit of fun on new years eve ?
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4866/2011u.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/i/2011u.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Edit;always thought your avatar portrays bunny

IFMU
12-31-2010, 03:18 PM
My point was that just posting and being rude was worthless and redundant. Make a point worthwhile rather than post for nothing.

I apologize for being a bit harsh, but people just being a**'s are getting on my nerves. How hard is it really to just ignore a thread/post if you have nothing worthwhile to say about it? I mean seriously, is it that hard? lol

Boulard83
12-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Even if you had only a pump and a simple tube full of water, the loop is going to overheat cause of the heat generated by the pump itself.

Adding any source of heat is just going to overheat way faster. You need a way to dissipate the heat from the water.

pokazene_maslo
12-31-2010, 03:43 PM
You can use a reservoir that acts as a passive radiator. Like zalman reserator or XSPC Res 150 (http://xspc.biz/res150.php). But that still won't be enough most graphics cards out now.

Sadasius
12-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Yes but that by design is a radiator. It radiates heat to the air! Just a very bad design for a radiator but with good intentions for a different design. Not to mention those are made with aluminum which is not good for galvanic corrosion between this, blocks and fittings.

Boulard83
12-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Yes but that by design is a radiator. It radiates heat to the air! Just a very bad design for a radiator but with good intentions for a different design. Not to mention those are made with aluminum which is not good for galvanic corrosion between this, blocks and fittings.

+1 for the very bad idea on Aluminium parts mixed with copper.

PatRaceTin
12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
you may try Cooling tower

the finisher
12-31-2010, 06:53 PM
I always wanted to try a bong. No, not that kind of bong, tried that once:rofl:

Happy WCing New Year:toast2:

Bad213Boy
12-31-2010, 08:57 PM
I was expecting a certain picture in your post. :stick:;)

LOL, I'm not that dumb. Maybe dumb enough to ask this stupid question, but not that dumb. :D

Bad213Boy
12-31-2010, 09:01 PM
You can use a reservoir that acts as a passive radiator. Like zalman reserator or XSPC Res 150 (http://xspc.biz/res150.php). But that still won't be enough most graphics cards out now.

This is the best response. Thx. I wasn't sure if one video card would produce that much heat where I'd actually HAVE to use a radiator. Thx man. I've heard about this bong idea somewhere. I'll have to look that up. BTW, I've seen those towers like the Zelman, that's not an option. Way too much money. I was hoping for something small, something I can keep inside the case.

Happy OCing New Years everyone!

the_dope_chaud
12-31-2010, 10:43 PM
I once built a loop without a rad. I didn't have any blocks or pump nor reservoir. Oh, it was just tubing connected end to end. I'll send it to skinee for testing. :rolleyes:

penguins
12-31-2010, 10:56 PM
something small that fits in your face is a radiator :) no substitutes really.

IFMU
01-01-2011, 04:00 AM
I once built a loop without a rad. I didn't have any blocks or pump nor reservoir. Oh, it was just tubing connected end to end. I'll send it to skinee for testing. :rolleyes:
Hey Genius, why not read a thread before attempting to prove that you're not the brightest bulb in the box.
Prove it again ok? I'd love to give you a few days. :shakes:

Sideroxylon
01-01-2011, 09:31 AM
You said you had an extra pump right? Build yourself a small loop with a t-line and let it run for a bit. You'll see rather quickly how warm the water gets with just a pump on it let alone a gpu that puts out 10-20x the heat.

CrazyNutz
01-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Yep you gotta have the rad dude. Without it would be like using TIM on your CPU, and leaving of the heatsink.

antiacid
01-01-2011, 01:34 PM
is this april's 1st already?