PDA

View Full Version : LCD HDTV suggestions

iTravis
12-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey guys so I'm gonna sell my 42" Vizio for $300 to my roommate and therefore I'm in search for a new one now.
My budget is around $750-$800, probably enough to get a good one? I just put in my bedroom and hook it up to my HTPC to play Blu Ray movies and play games on my PS3, 360.
Thanks in advance. :)

Erklat
12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Have you considered the new generation of plasma TVs?
It is where you should be looking if the image quality is your priority.
You have this AVforums with a lot of valuable info regarding TVs.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

[DANGERDAN]
12-30-2010, 02:23 PM
I have been through every tv in the past 2 years and i would not recommend a LCD unless it was bare able to the point where it doesn't drown you with software controlled picture, Plasma is the way to go for higher contrast and response rate for clearer picture.

If your looking for something thats poppy bright and is great for daytime watching then maybe go for a lcd.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/

This will never fail you they are the best reviews on almost any tv out today and rank them from extensive research and testing and are almost never wrong, I own the top panasonic plasma and will say there is nothing in any store that can beat its picture.

iTravis
12-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Have you considered the new generation of plasma TVs?
It is where you should be looking if the image quality is your priority.
You have this AVforums with a lot of valuable info regarding TVs.

Thanks for reminding me about AVforums, completely forgot about that. :D

;4686000']I have been through every tv in the past 2 years and i would not recommend a LCD unless it was bare able to the point where it doesn't drown you with software controlled picture, Plasma is the way to go for higher contrast and response rate for clearer picture.

If your looking for something thats poppy bright and is great for daytime watching then maybe go for a lcd.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/

This will never fail you they are the best reviews on almost any tv out today and rank them from extensive research and testing and are almost never wrong, I own the top panasonic plasma and will say there is nothing in any store that can beat its picture.

Hm....so with the new gen plasma they no longer have the burn in issue? And in term of longevity do you think it will last like LCD? I know plasma has better picture quality and deeper black level but I also play games so I don't know if it suits me?

[DANGERDAN]
12-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Well with the new gen they have inbuilt anti burn in technology with pixel shift and another which i cant think of right now, i would recommend the panasonic for gaming over the current LED LCD because of its response rate.

I literally returned all the LED LCD's mainly because of the ghosting effect that they would give on moving images, if you have a sharp eye like me you will get irritated.
All in all for long life it may not last as long as a LCD but its not far off, quality of picture will stay the same, burn in is very uncommon and taking precautions like making sure you don't leave a static image on very long will help full proof this.
Iv spent months literally calibrating researching modifying and i have a full advance understanding about most technology used in today's displays.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=262595

Read this for some info which could help you with deciding.

iTravis
12-31-2010, 12:29 AM
;4686266']Well with the new gen they have inbuilt anti burn in technology with pixel shift and another which i cant think of right now, i would recommend the panasonic for gaming over the current LED LCD because of its response rate.

I literally returned all the LED LCD's mainly because of the ghosting effect that they would give on moving images, if you have a sharp eye like me you will get irritated.
All in all for long life it may not last as long as a LCD but its not far off, quality of picture will stay the same, burn in is very uncommon and taking precautions like making sure you don't leave a static image on very long will help full proof this.
Iv spent months literally calibrating researching modifying and i have a full advance understanding about most technology used in today's displays.

Thank you Dan, that's a very good read there. :D
Since I never own a plasma, maybe you could make some suggestions on one that fits my needs and budget? Once again this TV will be mainly use for Blu Ray movies and console gaming, and I do have a dark room when playing movies.

[DANGERDAN]
12-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Over the years with the drowning advertising of LED,LCD the plasma brands have been limited to just two major companies (Panasonic and Samsung)

Panasonic's latest model (VT25) was created from most of the engineers from the Pioneer Kuro which no one should doubt was and still is the best black producing tv panel, but it is now a discontinued product sadly.
The VT25 since then has produced the best blacks but this panel is a bit pricey so you will have to work out if it is worth the extra cash for the best.

Then there is Samsung 8 Series, great blacks good picture and is a much easier panel to calibrate for the beginner user, although it is not quite as good as the VT25 this tv is great for its price giving you the option to go bigger cheaper..

VT25
*good for gaming
*best blacks
*best picture
*best 3D TV
*Very Pricey

Samsung 8 Series
*good for gaming
*good blacks
*very cheap (bang for buck)
*3D isn't its best feature

Hope this helps, but don't rule out LED just yet.
Stay away from Sharp 4 color technology they are marketing crap, Samsung are ok if you don't notice the imperfections that some people like me would and LG is not too bad either.

Erklat
12-31-2010, 04:12 AM
Panasonic Viera is number one when it comes to plasmas.
I think P42G20 would fit in regard to both your needs and the budget. I have P46 inbound. AVforums has very high opinion about G series altogether.
Plasma is as good as her ambient light filter is. G has one of the best. You should take this in the consideration too, you probably won't always be able to create ideal conditions, and plasma's image quality will suffer more than LCD, but not too much if the filter is right.

It will not gas out, it will not ghost and will not burn in. Those are myths that kept hanging around and at the same time were launched by the same people in whose best interest was to sell LCDs.
The only downside I can think of is energy consumption. If the picture is saturated by white color, it can consume up to 280W. LCD consumes ~100W all the time regardless of image. Luckily it will show some tone of gray 90% of the time and will consume negligible greater amount of energy compared to LCD.

iTravis
12-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Much appreciated for the help guys, okay so I found this on Amazon that fits my budget: Panasonic Viera TC-P42G25
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P42G25-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B003924UBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293820003&sr=8-1
There are U and S series that are cheaper so I don't know if they're worth it. And looks like the P42G25 gets pretty good reviews too.

zanzabar
12-31-2010, 02:47 PM
if u spend $100 more u can get a beast
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889248057

on what u were looking at, i would go for the panasonic as ive had nothing but ill will for samsung in the last few years with price gouging and using low quality panels

skier
12-31-2010, 04:11 PM

on what u were looking at, i would go for the panasonic as ive had nothing but ill will for samsung in the last few years with price gouging and using low quality panels

a 60" 3D!!!!!!! wtf??? figured that would be up around $2000

[DANGERDAN]
12-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Its DLP not LCD or Plasma, they are quite cheap i think.

zanzabar
12-31-2010, 04:34 PM
;4687212']Its DLP not LCD or Plasma, they are quite cheap i think.

yah, mitsu is the only one that makes them and they have had the stuff to do stereo 3d since 06 or 07. they have the best IQ and use the least power (in that size). there is no real reason that people have not gone back other than marketing. its to bad that mitsu is the only maker left.

skier
12-31-2010, 04:39 PM
yah, mitsu is the only one that makes them and they have had the stuff to do stereo 3d since 06 or 07. they have the best IQ and use the least power (in that size). there is no real reason that people have not gone back other than marketing. its to bad that mitsu is the only maker left.

good for mitsubishi though haha

iTravis
12-31-2010, 09:51 PM

I don't know where can I put that TV in my bedroom and consider I only sit about 3-4ft away from the TV, unfortunately it's out of the picture now. :D
So does anyone have inputs on the TV I pick?

skier
01-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Much appreciated for the help guys, okay so I found this on Amazon that fits my budget: Panasonic Viera TC-P42G25
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P42G25-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B003924UBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293820003&sr=8-1
There are U and S series that are cheaper so I don't know if they're worth it. And looks like the P42G25 gets pretty good reviews too.

just noticed that has an Ethernet jack! wonder what it'd be used for, hopefully not just updates

EniGmA1987
01-01-2011, 01:22 PM
^^^^^
Viera cast probably. YouTube, Skype, Twitter, Pandora, etc

[DANGERDAN]
01-01-2011, 07:49 PM
yea viera cast has a few tools like youtube, can be handy but yea i heard things about the G series where black level performance degrades dramatically over time but im unsure if it was the G series.

Nanometer
01-01-2011, 10:35 PM
;4688704']yea viera cast has a few tools like youtube, can be handy but yea i heard things about the G series where black level performance degrades dramatically over time but im unsure if it was the G series.

There were reports that the G series from past years had black level degradation from excessive use. Panasonic claimed to have greatly improved this for 2010, and in the newer brother the GT series. The excessive use that I previously mentioned were uses that exceeded 8 hours per day for an estimated 20 years for black level half life. At those insane levels I don't think anyone has to worry about any significant black level loss as I'm sure the technology would have been replaced at that point.

iTravis
01-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I just read about the black level issue at highdef and avsforum as well, I don't think it should be a problem for me.
Anyway I just came to Fry's to take a look at the TV and to be honest, I'm not quiet impressed with the picture and it looks so grainy, I don't know if it's because the source they hook up to or it's because of the TV. I also have 2nd thought as I saw the Sony Bravia KDL-EX710 on sale for $898 and it looks great to me. So my decision has narrow down to these 2 TVs. :D
What do you guys think?

Johnny87au
01-01-2011, 10:43 PM
;4686266']Well with the new gen they have inbuilt anti burn in technology with pixel shift and another which i cant think of right now, i would recommend the panasonic for gaming over the current LED LCD because of its response rate.

What about the new Panasonic Viera's? all IPS panels.. I picked a 32" one up over my 1080 LG LCD, and it absoulately smashes it.. Picture is so much crispier its like im in the damn game.. its a LED LCD IPS panel..

iTravis
01-01-2011, 10:52 PM
What about the new Panasonic Viera's? all IPS panels.. I picked a 32" one up over my 1080 LG LCD, and it absoulately smashes it.. Picture is so much crispier its like im in the damn game.. its a LED LCD IPS panel..

Can you be more specific which one? I was talking about the Panasonic Viera P42G25 and I'm not quiet impressed with the picture quality as it looks grainy to me.

Johnny87au
01-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Here ya go bud, Probably cheaper in the states..
http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=5608

iTravis
01-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Here ya go bud, Probably cheaper in the states..
http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=5608

Thank you for the link, but as mentioned above I do need at least a 42" and I'm afraid 32" won't cut it since I'm use to the bigger size for movie already. :D

Johnny87au
01-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Here are 2 x 42" Panasonic viera's.. Both IPS Panels.. might be out of your price range though..

42" LED LCD- http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=5580
42" LCD- http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=5634

zanzabar
01-02-2011, 02:34 AM
Here are 2 x 42" Panasonic viera's.. Both IPS Panels.. might be out of your price range though..

42" LED LCD- http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=5580
42" LCD- http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=5634

like those

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/VIERA-2010-HDTV-Series/VIERA-U22-Series-LCD-1080p-HDTVs/model.TC-L42U22_11002_7000000000000005702
thats the u22 its got an alpha IPS and its similar to the 2009 s2 (the best lcd tv ever for IQ)

iTravis
01-02-2011, 03:05 AM
Thank you guys, those IPS panels look nice and correct me if I'm wrong but besides the fact that it's good for viewing angles and for people who wanna use it as a monitor, is the picture quality when playing movies and games on console better than the plasma? And one thing that I just learn about plasma is it would be best if using in a dark room, which is my case cuz I like to watch movies and play games at night with no light on.
Look like I'm gonna be up all night to do more researches :(

Erklat
01-02-2011, 03:45 AM
The TV was not calibrated right. You have a TV shopping guide over at AVforums which states that you don't buy TV based on the picture it gives in store because they are never calibrated right. Last week I was in one of the local stores, both G20 and one other dead cheap Panasonic plasma were next to each other. G20 was grainy, the other was not.
Go figure :rolleyes:

zanzabar
01-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Thank you guys, those IPS panels look nice and correct me if I'm wrong but besides the fact that it's good for viewing angles and for people who wanna use it as a monitor, is the picture quality when playing movies and games on console better than the plasma? And one thing that I just learn about plasma is it would be best if using in a dark room, which is my case cuz I like to watch movies and play games at night with no light on.
Look like I'm gonna be up all night to do more researches :(

a good plasma should beat any lcd, just like almost any DLP will destroy a plasma or lcd.

if u want a good TV those panasonic u22 are relatively cheap and have great IQ

Erklat
01-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Thank god that someone said that first. I was going to say yesterday that a LCD will never surpass viewing angles and black being gray no matter how good the panel is because the technology is fundamentally flawed. Especially now when we know a few of the mythbreakers regarding plasmas.
As it stands now, I can hardly think of any sane reason why to buy LCD and I can think of why not to buy plasma even less, except energy consumption.

iTravis
01-02-2011, 08:03 PM
I went back to the store to take one last look and decided to go with the Panasonic Viera TC-P42G25, it's cheaper on Amazon so I'll probably just order there. Kinda worry about the handling and shipping though. Any ideas on this?
And thank you for the help guys, I really appreciate it. :D

zanzabar
01-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Thank god that someone said that first. I was going to say yesterday that a LCD will never surpass viewing angles and black being gray no matter how good the panel is because the technology is fundamentally flawed. Especially now when we know a few of the mythbreakers regarding plasmas.
As it stands now, I can hardly think of any sane reason why to buy LCD and I can think of why not to buy plasma even less, except energy consumption.

the only problem is that u cannot buy a plasma thats under 42"

and edit your taptalk to not have a sig

iTravis
01-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Just found out Amazon has the GT25 which supports 3D just for $80 more, should I go for it?

zanzabar
01-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Just found out Amazon has the GT25 which supports 3D just for $80 more, should I go for it?

i gues, if its still 1080p

iTravis
01-02-2011, 08:49 PM
i gues, if its still 1080p

Yeh it's essentially the same as the G25 model with 3D. Just placed my order :D
Kinda weird I can't find it again, I mean the one I ordered straight from Amazon LLC since there' another for $850 but from a different seller. Anyway I can't wait :D

Erklat
01-02-2011, 09:44 PM

Well it is a bit more provided the fact you'll need goggles too. I so envy you 'cause you'll see some high definition Inception before I do :p:

the only problem is that u cannot buy a plasma thats under 42"

and edit your taptalk to not have a sig

Well, he sold 42" and I took a liberty of assuming he ain't switching it to a smaller one. What I meant as he was looking for a decently sized TV, plasma is king of the hill now. Especially considering that LED devices being nothing more than a cheap trick in an attempt to improve blacks.

iTravis
01-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Well it is a bit more provided the fact you'll need goggles too. I so envy you 'cause you'll see some high definition Inception before I do :p:

Honestly if my friend didn't keep nagging me so I can sell my TV to him then I'm still be happy with my 42" Vizio. I think I got lucky though, but considering I spent the entire weekend reading as much as I could about these TVs and running like crazy between stores, it's better be worth it in the end.
I'm not gonna buy the glasses right away due to insufficient fund, probably just wait for a month or 2 before I use it for 3D. :)