PDA

View Full Version : Corsair H70 Runs Hotter then Frio?

Panic661
12-28-2010, 11:31 PM
So I just purchased a Corsair H70 for my AMD Phenom II X4.

On the Thermaltake Frio, temps would range from 34C to 39-39C

On the H70, temps are currently 44C and have reached a peak of 52C.

My processor is currently NOT overclocked. I did change cases, however, this one provides better airflow through it and has more space through it..

pby5cat
12-29-2010, 12:44 AM
The local envroment of the H70 is rather importent due to its small size, a picture of your set up would be great. When you touch the rad does it feel 50C?

Edit: I have worked with an H50, on a P2 X4 965BE.

Church
12-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Don't know about exactly TT Frio, but i know that H50/H70 is less effective then few top end air coolers, eg. DH14 / Silver Arrow / Archon. What can you expect from that small rad? You can enhance a bit temps on it buy making it to use colder air from outside for cooling though. Also you might think of replacing original H70's fans with scythe gentle typhoons.

Panic661
12-29-2010, 01:07 AM
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss134/AHoweth/photo3.jpg

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss134/AHoweth/photo2.jpg

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss134/AHoweth/photo4.jpg

Theres about a foot of spacing between my computer and the wall as well.

HWBot currently says 43C..and it feels like 43C...however...I think I may have set my fans up incorrectly..and its acting like a push-push lol.

Panic661
12-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Don't know about exactly TT Frio, but i know that H50/H70 is less effective then few top end air coolers, eg. DH14 / Silver Arrow / Archon. What can you expect from that small rad? You can enhance a bit temps on it buy making it to use colder air from outside for cooling though. Also you might think of replacing original H70's fans with scythe gentle typhoons.

Well my Frio I'm not sure if it qualifies as a top end cooler. $50 cooler...compared to the $90 H70..

really wondering if it would be better if i removed the paste the H70 has on..and put Arctic Silver on it..and messed with my fans..

Church
12-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Check if both of those push-pull fans are blowing in one direction and if it's from outside to inside. Should give you better temps. Also it makes more sense to compare full load temps instead of idle ones, where even OEM stock cooler is adequate :)
I might be wrong, but original H70's preaplied paste might be rather good (IIRC in one review it was called as being shin-etsu), don't now if it's layer isn't too thick though. You can always buy some good TIM (eg. Shin-Etsu X23-7783D or AC MX-4) and reseat though.

Don't expect miracles anyway. Liquid cooling is not always better because it being liquid cooled, but because in most liquid cooling builds you can extend it with bigger rads by doing what you can achieve same or better cooling with fans running quieter. In Corsair H70 AIO LC it's small 1x120 rad that's smaller then even many top air coolers made for 140mm fans. You cannot really expect it to outperform those without ramping fan speed very high (but then again you can run fans faster on those aswell :) )

Main H50/H70 point is not it being better then top end air coolers, but being more universal/flexible with mount options, as in for cases where you cannot fit full height top air cooler.

Panic661
12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Ok, I changed the fan rotation around, its still wrong, but now I'm too lazy to mess with it...

Its pulling from inside the case (currently) and pushing out. (Obviously wrong.)

And I removed the paste that came on the H70, and put on Arctic Silver.

Temps are running at 38C at idle...and 43C on a load, running Prime95 Blend.

Room temperature...still about 70F maybe a bit warmer then that.

PiLsY
12-29-2010, 02:03 PM
I'd leave it as an exhaust in your case or you'll be pulling in the warm air from your gfx card and psu. If you want it as an intake then shift the rad to the front of your case.

Personally though id say your temps are fine now.

the_dope_chaud
12-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Maybe if you overclocked and pumped a bit more voltage into it, you would see a bigger difference. What's the point of watercooling if not to overclock/silence? You do not seem to be concerned by silence....

Panic661
12-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Maybe if you overclocked and pumped a bit more voltage into it, you would see a bigger difference. What's the point of watercooling if not to overclock/silence? You do not seem to be concerned by silence....

I'm attempting to learn how to overclock..if that makes sense.

This current case is much quieter then my antec 300 with the frio. Its now a small hum, compared to standing next to a bus.

Sadasius
12-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Crank that sucker (CPU) up there (up some voltage) and you'll notice a difference indeed (especially compared to air cooler).