PDA

View Full Version : HTPC Case, To mod or not to mod?

Zippydachamp
12-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Hello all, I don't post often here so Ill try and keep this to the point.
I am building a very nice albeit overpowered pc in an HTPC enclosure.

Reason; I want it in my Tv Stand (58" Samsung) and it is replacing my current HTPC

Specs; (Most of this I already have)

CPU-I7-970
Case-Nmedia 6000b
Ram- Dominator 2000mhz 6gb kit (Red and Black Dimms)
Board-Asus Formula X58 (Red and Black color scheme)
HDD's- Boot Drive = 160GB Intel SSD, + 5 2TB Hitachi Deskstars
Cooling-Swiftech Edge Triple Rad, Pump, Res all in one. Mounting behind case on RadBox. Simply wont fit inside.
Optical Drive- Slim Blu-Ray DVD Combo Reader
Video Card- AMD 6870 (Can't fit the 6900 series )
Ceton Ifinity Card
PSU- Corsair 650w
-----------------------------------------------
As you can see the build is way overpowered. I know, but here is my question, This thing is going to be Sick inside ! So I'm wondering if I should do a window addition to the top to show it off. There are effectively no fans in the box so no LED fans. I was thinking about doing some White EL Wire or 4 x 16" White Cold Cathode bars hidden in the corners that would be connected to a toggle. That way if I chose to show off the build I could, but wouldn't have to live with that as a permanent choice. I would like some opinions on the look please.

Here is the case...

Front.. http://img.ncix.com/images/35509_1.jpg

Closest thing I could get to a pic of the top http://img.ncix.com/images/35509_l.jpg

Thanks in Advance !

Zippydachamp
12-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Anyone

Johnny87au
12-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Nice rig for a Htpc pretty much the same as mine :D, As for no fans use some kind of fans hehe as you need air flow ... Top PLEXI window would look awesome.. Give it a go..

mindwreck
12-28-2010, 01:17 AM
that would look cool.. get some gray or translucent plexiglass so you can't really see through it until you turn on the lights.

Zippydachamp
12-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Thx for the feedback guys..
I will actually have atlleast 5 or 6 fans
3 on Rad, 1 in PSU, 1 or 2 Noctuas on the hdd cages.

None of these have led's though

Zippydachamp
12-28-2010, 08:33 AM

Aaronharmon
12-28-2010, 01:59 PM

good call HTPCs should be neither seen nor heard. Lighting one up like a christmas tree is not a good idea unless you want to be distracted by it all night long.

Bobsama
12-28-2010, 03:14 PM
good call HTPCs should be neither seen nor heard. Lighting one up like a christmas tree is not a good idea unless you want to be distracted by it all night long.

Or include a kill-switch. Then, however, the question is if it's worth building in the first place. A slightly larger E-Peen but this is your own build--not some Alienware.

Zippydachamp
12-28-2010, 03:23 PM
hidden in the corners that would be connected to a toggle. That way if I chose to show off the build I could, but wouldn't have to live with that as a permanent choice.

I just want to be able to show it off, you know when friends are over, also I am running the triple Rad so that I don't have some big loud cpu cooler. The large ones that can be passive wont fit in the case, like the noctua or meglahelms. I like the idea of smoking the plexi so it cant been seen through until the lights are turned on. Im wondering though if I did that, could the guts be seen in their vibrant red... Red and Black are both deep colors and I don't want the mudding together. I guess Ill have to do some more research..

3Dmark, Everest, aTTo ... All validators of what monstrous E-PEENS we have.

CrazyNutz
12-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Yep do it dude:up: