PDA

View Full Version : New DAC

Bobsama
12-25-2010, 06:31 PM
My Uncle was kind to me this year.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7104/smdscn0560.jpg

That's a Little Dot DAC_I; a $300 DAC for my stereo. I'm slowly building my audio system. My next major purchase will probably be a turntable; I'd love a Pro-Ject Debut III ($370 new), so I may be keeping an eye out for one used.

1ke
12-25-2010, 07:07 PM
I am jealous. Please post your setup and opinions on how it affects sound quality. I'm looking into getting a DAC soon.

EniGmA1987
12-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Thats pretty cool. How does it sound?

Bobsama
12-26-2010, 01:09 PM
I am jealous. Please post your setup and opinions on how it affects sound quality. I'm looking into getting a DAC soon.
Are you now?

Setup...

Abit IP35-E --(Toslink)-> DAC_I --(Monster RCA)-> Sherwood AI-1110 int.amp --(#16 copper biwire)-> Polk Monitor 5 Series 2 loudspeakers or Sennheiser HD-555 headphones

I'm considering taking my preamp, poweramp, & tuner with me and playing around with my setup. I'm also stuck on the little dorm speakers (my real loudspeakers--Polk SDA-1's--are in storage).

Not sure yet; I've yet to get it hooked it! I'm in NY, my setup is in RI. :( I'll have it hooked up by 4 January at latest!

Bobsama
01-05-2011, 12:07 PM

So I got it setup and have been listening since Saturday. Simply put, it sounds excellent. There's far less noise on the line than before; I'm limited to 24/96 by the DAC and have listened to high-res as well. I have an HDTracks sampler album, Steely Dan, Carla Lother, and King Crimson--all in 24/96. Getting ASIO4All to work properly was tough, but I managed. Prior, the Realtek sound chip was oversampling all audio and then sending it to the DAC. ASIO4All removes that oversampling and high-res audio shines.