PDA

View Full Version : linux cruncher help

terramir
12-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Okies,
I know this should be doable, the question is how :shrug:
When I have built my 60k PPD machine ( two quad socket arima's) , and well the plan is to install linux on both but just have one video card, one HD and one flashdrive (as little power as possible) Now I would like to be able set it up so that I can view both desktop's through one machine and heck also if possible view them from home. I know this should be doable, but I would like to know if any of you know how to do it? Also is it possible to view the desktop's of the linux machines over the internet on a mac? Now the Machine will be at a location that has a fix public ip and the desktops will have fixed private ip's behind the public ip's
I could use some help
terramir

karbonkid
12-22-2010, 03:11 PM
VNC is the easiest way to do this; you would set-up a VNC server on the Linux computers. You would probably want to tunnell VNC over SSH for security purposes. This would allow you to access your Linux systems graphically, remotely.

OS X has (I think) a built-in VNC client so no worries there. The only problem I can envisage is to do with accessing 2 separate computers behind (I assume) NAT.. You could get around that by running the VNC servers on different (non-standard) ports and then forwarding those ports to their respective machines from the router.

terramir
12-23-2010, 07:09 PM
VNC is the easiest way to do this; you would set-up a VNC server on the Linux computers. You would probably want to tunnell VNC over SSH for security purposes. This would allow you to access your Linux systems graphically, remotely.

OS X has (I think) a built-in VNC client so no worries there. The only problem I can envisage is to do with accessing 2 separate computers behind (I assume) NAT.. You could get around that by running the VNC servers on different (non-standard) ports and then forwarding those ports to their respective machines from the router.

ehhh yes that is a question, the router is on a fixed ip address (we only use one at work the other ip's are all fixed private ones, so how do I tell vnc to connect to the 60k wcg ppd mashine (actually both) like how do I say connect to 192.168.x.x. via xxx.xxx.xx.xx public ip address router? Also I would like to direct connect both the computers for faster remote desktop of the headless machine when I'm at work. That would require another ip address but then again those boards have 4 ethernet ports LOL Talk about being able to direct connect, hey I could add another arima board later and run 3 machines LOL.
anyways just the question how do you address a private IP behind a router?

karbonkid
12-24-2010, 01:09 AM
You need to configure port forwarding on the router

Say you have 2 machines you want to talk to from 'outside' - they are 192.168.1.11 and 192.168.1.12

You have 2 protocols you want to talk over, they are ssh and VNC. ssh default port is 22, and VNC default port is 5900.

So you can set-up port forwards (on the router) as follows:
port range 22-22 -> 22 on 192.168.1.11
port range 5900-5900 -> 5900 on 192.168.1.11

Now, whenever you ssh in to your public IP, it will connect to the machine which is 192.168.1.11 on your internal LAN.

Of course, this only works for 1 machine. So for the other one, we use non-standard ports. I am not sure how to configure this on Ubuntu, but let's just say you are going to configure ssh so it runs on port 44 and VNC so it runs on port 5901

You would then set up the forwarding for this machine as:
port range 44-44 -> 44 on 192.168.1.12
port range 5901-5901 -> 5900 on 192.168.1.12

To connect to this machine from outside, you would have to specify the port explicitly. So instead of typing 'ssh username@<your_public_ip>', you would type 'ssh username@<your-public-ip>:44'. For VNC you would simply specify the port in the GUI of whichever client you are using.

Hope that helps.

desnudopenguino
04-23-2011, 06:48 AM
This all looks good. I would suggest setting up a little single core machine inside your network that you connect to from outside, and use that as your remote desktop client machine, then you can add as many crunchers inside and not have to worry about editing the firewall rules. Mac's OS X comes with a remote desktop server, but no client. I would recommend Chicken of the VNC (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/) to use. It's simple. Oh, and I would also recommend changing the ports facing the internet for your machines, because a lot of script kiddies like to brute force ssh and vnc connections (I used to get 10,000 hits a day for ssh(22), and occasionally someone would try vnc(5900). It's not bad if you have good passwords, but it also becomes a nuisance when someone hits you hard, it eats up some cpu cycles to handle that garbage.