PDA

View Full Version : Pumps for 90c+ water?

Mudgey
12-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Hi Guys,

I am need of a pump to boost the flow of hot water through my cars heater core and was wondering if WC pumps are suitable for use with water at 90c and above? As the hose outlet is before the thermostat the water can even go slightly above 100c...

I have seen somewhere that the D5 is rated to around +60c? Is there anything else out there that can cope with higher temps? If not can anybody recommend an automotive rated pump?

Regards,
Mudgey

mojododo
12-20-2010, 04:57 AM
i wouldnt use one mate.

i know you can get electric water pumps specifially for cars, prob the best route.

Church
12-20-2010, 04:57 AM
Maybe it's simplier to not touch pump part, but just as with PC liquid cooling - enhance heater core(rad) heat dissipation with higher airflow? That should be easier doable imho. At least in my car initially thought badly working ventilation & heater started working wonderfully once i replaced saloon dust filter doubling or even tripling airflow by reducing restriction that way :)

Mudgey
12-20-2010, 05:14 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply's, its basically needed for when the engine is operating at low speed the heat out reduces quite significantly, this is also very apparent on my dads MGB's, you put yr foot down and you feel a surge of hotter air!

Church
12-20-2010, 06:20 AM
Isn't that common to almost any car with heater united with engine cooling? (There are cars with separate heating systems aswell, be them based on fuel or electricity, which effectiveness is not impacted with temps of engine). I'm used to common heating scheme quirks and don't care. First i start up engine and switch on engine, then start cleaning all snow/ice from outside of car, by time i finish car already is mildly warm, and after first kilometers temps are fine.

Theme is wandering further and further from liquid cooling though :D

Church
12-20-2010, 06:26 AM
.. Well, anyway, back to initial question - it almost makes no sense to enhance heating by enhancing pumping portion. It's cold coolant anyway at the beginning, that only will get pumped faster through engine/heater core .. most probably heating output/heating initial startup times will be enhanced by 5% at most. Not worth it. I'd rather think of ways to install extra separate heater sys (IIRC there were some rather advanced ones, eg. switchable by timer or remote control). Or if you are still set on enhancing original heating - as i've said before - enhance airflow and maybe install some electrical heating-up of coolant somewhere within cooling/heating loop that you can switch on/off(when engine heated up after while) from saloon of car.

Mudgey
12-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi Churchy,

The heater works fine at mid to high rpm which shows it is just the water flow that is the problem, I do not need to get the engine to operating temps any faster or need to install extra fans as this will further exagerate the problem at low engine speed as the air will come out faster but even colder than before. I have seen these types of pumps before, but for the life of me cannot find anything from Google!!

Church
12-20-2010, 08:30 AM
As it's same water pump that pumps coolant for cooling engine in summer, i doubt it being culprit (unless of course you had overheating problems in summer). As for asking/searching .. maybe some techie at car repair shop might be more successful at providing car parts info then google. Frankly imho information on car parts out there on internet is too wast and poorly categorised to easily find it there.

prava
12-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi Churchy,

The heater works fine at mid to high rpm which shows it is just the water flow that is the problem, I do not need to get the engine to operating temps any faster or need to install extra fans as this will further exagerate the problem at low engine speed as the air will come out faster but even colder than before. I have seen these types of pumps before, but for the life of me cannot find anything from Google!!

I know nothing of cars but...arent those pumps electrical? Or they work attached to the engine with a chain? Because if they are separate it would be normal that the car would overheat at low rpm as the rad would get a lot less aifrlow (because you are going slow).

MpG
12-20-2010, 01:22 PM
I know nothing of cars but...arent those pumps electrical? Or they work attached to the engine with a chain? Because if they are separate it would be normal that the car would overheat at low rpm as the rad would get a lot less aifrlow (because you are going slow).
Usually auto water pumps are either hooked up directly to the car's crankshaft, timing gear, or belt driven from a pulley that's attached to the aforementioned. And often the ratios are balanced so that the flow is a little low when the car is just idling, which helps reduces parasitic horsepower loss at max rpm.

You can get aftermarket electric water pumps for cars, but they're usually meant as full replacements, not heater core only. They also tend to be oriented towards more common engines, so I'm not sure where your car is going to fall in that respect. In NA, that wouldn't be considered "common", which would mean some either an automatic price premium or some heavy DIY required.

Are overdriven pulleys an option for your car?