PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you feed a fan controller 20+V?

Martinm210
12-16-2010, 04:57 PM
So, I got thefinisher's 24V 140mm San Ace in the mail today...and had to go take a subjective listen.

I quickly bypassed my fan controller that normally controls the voltage, but...I forgot that my PSU was also feeding the RPM sensing Scythe.

Whoops!! So that's what happens when you feed a 16V cap 20+...:eek::D

It was actually fairly violent and was glad it was aimed the other way!

And no I wasn't wearing proper PPE..:)

Another controller bites the dust...I may try and see if I can just solder a new cap in there.

Just when I think this fan testing is getting boring.. I need more of this..:up:

Creekin
12-16-2010, 05:01 PM
:rofl: i bet that woke you up! :)
thanks for the pic,
i love to see destroyed tech, my therapist says it is good for me... :D

Boulard83
12-16-2010, 05:01 PM
This fan correctly own its name now ;)

Martinm210
12-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah...it's normally quiet back there....so the sound of an unexpected party popper livened things up quickly.

I can't remember who said it, but apparently "electronics runs on smoke" and I let the smoke out of this one...:D

penguins
12-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Yep electronics run on blue smoke. electricity is just what gets the smoke going ; ). it also looks like that cap runs on straw or fluff from a pillow : )

I would love to know who said that first... was most likely a loong time ago!

got a couple of thin guys for you when the next paycheck comes in ; ) oh bananas! I need to send in the invoice! oh bother.

Creekin
12-16-2010, 05:24 PM
yes it's a well known, proven scientific fact that all electronics run on blue smoke.....
the hard part is getting it back in... :rofl:

Petra
12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Whoops!! So that's what happens when you feed a 16V cap 20+...:eek::D

You've never blown up capacitors by overvolting them before? :confused:

I though that everyone who's into electronics had done that both intentionally and accidentally... :ROTF:

Martinm210
12-16-2010, 05:28 PM
You've never blown up capacitors by overvolting them before? :confused:

I though that everyone who's into electronics had done that both intentionally and accidentally... :ROTF:

No, my first...but now I see I've got a whole sandwich bag full of potential cap popping fun:D

Might have to make some youtube videos of popping caps or overvolting fans till they smoke.:)

Sparky
12-16-2010, 05:29 PM
When I was in college my professor in the electronics lab stuck a random cap (I think it was 16V or 25V maybe) in an extension cord and plugged it in. Quite a bang from that, I think the cap basically vaporized :ROTF:

Creekin
12-16-2010, 05:32 PM
When I was in college my professor in the electronics lab stuck a random cap (I think it was 16V or 25V maybe) in an extension cord and plugged it in. Quite a bang from that, I think the cap basically vaporized :ROTF:

obviously in the days before OH&S :rofl:

Might have to make some youtube videos of popping caps or overvolting fans till they smoke.:)
:clap: please do! :D

OldChap
12-16-2010, 05:45 PM

Mine was not so destructive, he just charged up the biggest caps in the shop and then chose at random who was to pick it up They were normally placed so you had to "get some" discharge

Creekin
12-16-2010, 06:19 PM
what happened to all the crazy irresponsible professors that taught us so much??

oh yeah, they all died young from lab "incidents" :rofl:

Vetalar
12-17-2010, 12:00 AM
first electronic law is: "all unnecessary burns and falls off" :)

eskamobob1
12-17-2010, 07:13 AM
lol... for me it was just the teacher had no idea what we were doing... ex. seeing who could shoot the the testube corck the highest with hydrocloric acid and lye (we shot one through a fire sprinkler pipe =])... and not noticing that we were having a race to see who could light the table with all our ungraded tests on fire first (it was way to easy to light)... and my personal favorite, lobing a large hunk of sodium into the fish thank (there were no fish in it at the time so dont try and yell at me for animal cruelty)... the old days were way too much fun :)

Kenjiwing
12-17-2010, 07:50 AM
I did something like this.. sleeved a old scythe fan controller and reversed the red and black power connectors..

plugged it in.. immediately popped 3 of the 4 caps.. it was really loud.

zalbard
12-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Have you got a sound graph for that? I bet it concludes that San Aces at 20V are really noisy! :D

Creekin
12-17-2010, 07:58 AM
:rofl: @ eskamobob1
u just reminded me of something we did in woodwork class, i admit it is cruel and wouldn't do it now, but this was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away......

we had a plague of bogon moths, thousands of them for weeks, big bastards too! in woodshop we had tins of wood lacquer, quite flammable and cigarette lighters..well, you can do the math :explode2:
in science lab it was the gas taps on every desk and brown paper lunch bags!:explode:

i'd like to see the sound graph of Martin squealing like a little girl when it went bang.. :rofl::ROTF:

the finisher
12-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Sorry to hear/see your fan controller smoked :shocked:

I was wondering if it was possible to over-volt one of mine, guess not;)

If you want to smoke some fans, I have several I'll never use, suppose you do too! Be fun to watch em burn on youtube:smoke:

Probably don't want to do it in the house:rofl:

Alexandr0s
12-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I wonder how fast you can get an UK3000/Delta to run before it goes boom! :rofl:

NaeKuh
12-17-2010, 10:05 AM
BWAHAHAHAHHAHHA

b4 anyone says it.. i need to say it... because i think im entitled to call martin it.
well he's heard me rant the most about that POS controller.

Martin... *takes deep breathe*

YOU NOOB..
RUNNING more then 10V though a KAZE master.

You know that controller would pop even on a standard 12V rail after time.

:ROTF:

Manicdan
12-17-2010, 10:32 AM
i love to see destroyed tech, my therapist says it is good for me... :D

my therapist says its good for me to stab pillows with a knife

he forgot to mention that i should wait for my girlfriend to stop sleeping on it first....

[XC] Oj101
12-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Oh? Happy days :( The ONE controller I actually like the look of :/

Jacka
12-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Mine was not so destructive, he just charged up the biggest caps in the shop and then chose at random who was to pick it up They were normally placed so you had to "get some" discharge

My physics teacher discharged a cap the size of a paint tin right in front of me. :down:

Couldn't see properly for over 24 hours.

[XC] Hicks121
12-17-2010, 11:16 AM
my therapist says its good for me to stab pillows with a knife

he forgot to mention that i should wait for my girlfriend to stop sleeping on it first....

Now this is freakn funny!!! :rofl::ROTF:

Aphex_Tom_9
12-17-2010, 12:10 PM
oh great, so people don't like the kaze master? i was all set to buy one

NaeKuh
12-17-2010, 02:34 PM
oh great, so people don't like the kaze master? i was all set to buy one

scythe... they make awesome fans... the GT.

But there controller is only good for the GT.. ie.. very low wattage fans! :rofl:

The 2 i have are only good for LCD display after using for like 3-4 months on 38mm fans.

The first thing everyone notes is you can almost burn your finger if u touch it wrong in the rear cuz the unit gets hotter then my i7 hexcore overclocked @ 4.4ghz.

:rolleyes:

OldChap
12-17-2010, 02:46 PM
.....But they do sell good fans for cooling the fan controller :rofl:

Martinm210
12-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah, they could use some heatsinks. They make good RPM monitors though. I wish someone would make a very small simple LCD rpm monitor that is more accurate though. Something like those little foil thermometers, but RPM instead.

Only reason I even had this scythe was to display RPM direct. Measuring Hz works fine for the table, but a pain to multiply by 30 all the time.

Aphex_Tom_9
12-17-2010, 05:01 PM
well, i was planning to use one with GT fans, and maybe another medium speed 140mm fan...what about lamptron? are their controllers any better? like the fc-5

the finisher
12-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Ya, from what I've read they all kinda suck,[Made in China:rolleyes: no offence:p:] go to Radio Shack , get a bread board and some parts, build your own:cool:

Captain_Harlock
12-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Lol, the pic of the cap brought up some great old work memories from a long time ago. About 20 years ago, I used to work for Namco. Like most business, we didnt allow sleeping on the job. We were the primary repair depot for all the stores in the U.S. so we had tons of supplies, and nice big workbenches for repairs. We had this great tradition (used on me a few times) on waking up people who went to sleep. Go to breaker box, turn off the breaker needed for the job. Take a power cord, and solder about 15 to 20 60v caps in line, to it. Plug in and drape it around Mr. sleepy head. Go back to fuse box and flip breaker (sometimes you had to do it a few times in a row as it kept re-tripping). Lots of noise, and loud screams. Sleepy head then cleans up mess. Those were the days.

eskamobob1
12-17-2010, 08:41 PM
My physics teacher discharged a cap the size of a paint tin right in front of me. :down:

Couldn't see properly for over 24 hours.

Its like trying to stare into a magnesium fire :)... i ground a 1/4lb cunck and was dumb enough to stare at it when i lit it... im suprized i can still see :)

Lol, the pic of the cap brought up some great old work memories from a long time ago. About 20 years ago, I used to work for Namco. Like most business, we didnt allow sleeping on the job. We were the primary repair depot for all the stores in the U.S. so we had tons of supplies, and nice big workbenches for repairs. We had this great tradition (used on me a few times) on waking up people who went to sleep. Go to breaker box, turn off the breaker needed for the job. Take a power cord, and solder about 15 to 20 60v caps in line, to it. Plug in and drape it around Mr. sleepy head. Go back to fuse box and flip breaker (sometimes you had to do it a few times in a row as it kept re-tripping). Lots of noise, and loud screams. Sleepy head then cleans up mess. Those were the days.

lol... nice :)

:rofl: @ eskamobob1
u just reminded me of something we did in woodwork class, i admit it is cruel and wouldn't do it now, but this was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away......

we had a plague of bogon moths, thousands of them for weeks, big bastards too! in woodshop we had tins of wood lacquer, quite flammable and cigarette lighters..well, you can do the math :explode2:
in science lab it was the gas taps on every desk and brown paper lunch bags!:explode:

i'd like to see the sound graph of Martin squealing like a little girl when it went bang.. :rofl::ROTF:

so did u ever take one of those rubber hoses that attach the gass to the bunsin burner and pinch off the end so that it pressurized enough to make like a 15 ft flame and then light it? cause that was realy fun in chem :) we would shoot it across the entire class room :)

the finisher
12-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Today, they'd lock you up!:nono:

eskamobob1
12-18-2010, 12:25 AM
but thats why you dont do it today :) isnt ex pose facto an amazing thing :)

the finisher
12-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Yes;) When I was in High School we brought in some balloons to Metal Shop. Filled them up with a balanced oxy/acetylene mix.
Pretty much a bomb, blew some lights right out the ceiling:explode2::eek:

:hehe:

Alexandr0s
12-18-2010, 09:50 AM
This seems to turn into a work/school crazy stuff you did thread :rofl:!

My turn:

For a project, I built a 10 pound dropping hammer which I use to drop on a mixture of ammonium nitrate and sulfur. I started of with small amounts, but got a bit carried away. In the end, I used such a large amount that that 10 pound hammer shot about 2 feet up. The windows looked like they were about to shatter as well. Fun times :rofl:.

NaeKuh
12-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Ya, from what I've read they all kinda suck,[Made in China:rolleyes: no offence:p:] go to Radio Shack , get a bread board and some parts, build your own:cool:

:rofl: :ROTF:

were back in 2005... next thing we know.. were all gonna go buy sheet copper again and dremel a water path.

Martinm210
12-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Yes;) When I was in High School we brought in some balloons to Metal Shop. Filled them up with a balanced oxy/acetylene mix.
Pretty much a bomb, blew some lights right out the ceiling:explode2::eek:

:hehe:

The prankster trick in our metal shop was to preload the cracks in the brick table (O/A torch welding area) full of a good mixture. The next poor sap that lights up his torch gets a sudden wake up welcome to shop bang..:D

Good times...:)

eskamobob1
12-18-2010, 12:27 PM
@Martin:
I agree... those were the days :)

@Nae:
I love ur signature :)

@Alex:
and whats wrong with that? :) lol... jk... but some one should seriously start a remenicing thread :)

Martinm210
12-18-2010, 12:40 PM
FYI,
The cap that blew appeared to just be for feeding the overall controller 12V portion, so I grabbed a 25V 470uF cap (Couldn't find any 220uf 16V caps) and soldered it in place.

Works like a charm...the old controller works just fine again now..:D

Alexandr0s
12-18-2010, 02:09 PM
FYI,
The cap that blew appeared to just be for feeding the overall controller 12V portion, so I grabbed a 25V 470uF cap (Couldn't find any 220uf 16V caps) and soldered it in place.

Works like a charm...the old controller works just fine again for now..:D

Fixed :rofl:

Martinm210
12-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Fixed :rofl:

Have soldering iron and my radio shack electronics learning lab full of spare parts....I'm all set for all sorts of danger now..:D

zalbard
12-18-2010, 02:48 PM
FYI,

So, a 25V cap this time, should be able to hold 24V fans without any issues, right?! :ROTF:

Alexandr0s
12-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Halve soldering iron and my radio shack electronics learning lab full of spare parts....I'm all set for all sorts of danger now..:D

Then why not make an entirely new one? Knowing you, the next cap will probably pop within a few months anyway (and probably not by accident this time :rofl:).

Martinm210
12-18-2010, 03:11 PM
I am inspired by Tim Allen, more often than I should admit...:D

I'm not sure how to make an RPM LCD type circuit, but if you find one..let me know.

Somehow I doubt the rest of the controller circuit was made for 24V....but the replacement cap should hold. I think I'll disconnect before trying the 24V San Ace again.

I've got about 4 more 140mm fans to test along with a need to do a quick shroud test...looking to try tonight if I can get myself out of bed early enough.

Alexandr0s
12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Well, there are 2 ways you could make an RPM LCD circuit. First would be to use standard IC's. You'll need at least 2 IC's, one to convert frequency to voltage (best use a LM2907 here), and another one to convert the voltage to an output suited for an LCD screen. I'm not sure which IC should best be used for this.

Alternatively, and perhaps easier would be to get a programmable microcontroller with support for a LCD display.

mlee49
12-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Ah I love it when I'm reminded that even Martin with all his experience still makes human mistakes. Nice fix though, :D

NaeKuh
12-19-2010, 11:26 AM
FYI,

omg someone tell me martin did not just rice out a scythe kaze master??

:rofl:

the finisher
12-19-2010, 11:55 AM
The prankster trick in our metal shop was to preload the cracks in the brick table (O/A torch welding area) full of a good mixture. The next poor sap that lights up his torch gets a sudden wake up welcome to shop bang..:D

Good times...:)

I was the poor sap:shocked: That's where I got the idea to concentrate it in a balloon:rofl:

FYI,

Nice:up:

DexNfX
02-21-2011, 02:03 PM
POP goes the cap!!! LOL That must have been a very eventful moment. :)

iddqd
02-21-2011, 02:58 PM
scythe... they make awesome fans... the GT.

The GT-series fans were designed and manufactured by the Nidec Servo Corp. Scythe is only a reseller. In fact, you can sometimes find non-Scythe branded GTs.