PDA

View Full Version : Petra's Tech

ap4lifetn
12-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Has anyone order anything from them recently? I'm just curious if anyone is actually answering the emails or if the site is on hiatus?

I ordered a bunch of fans early november, one of them arrived completely damaged, the blades just fell apart from the motor. I emailed them asking for a replacement, it took a few weeks(and a few emails from me) to answer me, and they sent me a replacement on November 24th with a shipping number.

Thing is, the shipping number says it still hasn't received a package and i sent them an email 2 weeks ago without an answer. I've order things from them before, but it seems they tried to avoid me, and then just straight up lied to me.

what should i do?

stangracin3
12-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Has anyone order anything from them recently? I'm just curious if anyone is actually answering the emails or if the site is on hiatus?

I ordered a bunch of fans early november, one of them arrived completely damaged, the blades just fell apart from the motor. I emailed them asking for a replacement, it took a few weeks(and a few emails from me) to answer me, and they sent me a replacement on November 24th with a shipping number.

Thing is, the shipping number says it still hasn't received a package and i sent them an email 2 weeks ago without an answer. I've order things from them before, but it seems they tried to avoid me, and then just straight up lied to me.

what should i do?

sounds like my former dealing with gary from sidewinders(own PTS also)
give them a phone call if you annoy them enought they will eventually answer you

ap4lifetn
12-14-2010, 02:45 PM
sounds like my former dealing with gary from sidewinders(own PTS also)
give them a phone call if you annoy them enought they will eventually answer you

it is indeed gary, although he tells me hes sick bronchitis

is their customer service going into the pooper?

stangracin3
12-15-2010, 10:19 AM
it is indeed gary, although he tells me hes sick bronchitis

is their customer service going into the pooper?

it seems like he has been sick several times this year.
and even if he isn't there, he has to have other employees that can answer emails

Petra
12-26-2010, 02:43 PM
I hate having to sit here and watch stuff like this...

Johnny87au
12-26-2010, 09:35 PM
I hate having to sit here and watch stuff like this...

You know what to do :yepp:

Petra
12-27-2010, 08:06 PM
You know what to do :yepp:

a) Start a new store? (Can't do that for a minimum of 4-4.5 more years)
b) Buy my company back? (Can't do that, no money)
c) Complain to Gary?
d) ...?

There really isn't anything that I can do at this point, especially if the OP has already been in touch with Gary. Gary has owned and operated PTS for nearly a year now.

Johnny87au
12-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Oh that sucks, Why cant you start another store not enough money?? Petras was really killing it i dont know why you sold it :(

[XC] gomeler
12-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Likely a non-compete would prevent him from starting another store?

Petra
12-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Oh that sucks, Why cant you start another store not enough money?? Petras was really killing it i dont know why you sold it :(

The non-compete clause that was written into the purchase contract prevents me from starting a competing business for a specified time period. As for why the store was sold, well, there were quite a few factors that went into the decision... without going into the specifics here, our options were basically either sell or shut down (the former being the less financially damaging option, obviously).

dylskee
12-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Sorry to hear that Petra, I didn't know you sold to Gary. I have spent a lot of money at Sidewinders in the past and have always had great service as well. I've only had a couple issues with sidewinder and it was always handled quickly and professionally so I would think Petra's would be run in the same fashion.

ferrari_freak
12-29-2010, 01:31 PM
It was sold a while ago (over a year ago I believe). I'm not interested in watercooling anymore so I haven't been on their site for about 2 years now, but I went on there last night to check it out and I was honestly saddened by what I saw. The store's essentially dead, they have no selection anymore. A waterblock for CPU, a couple for GPUs, 2 pumps, only Swiftech rads plus one XSPC... All they have is a bunch of screws and fasteners now lol.

Bobsama
12-29-2010, 04:54 PM
It was sold a while ago (over a year ago I believe). I'm not interested in watercooling anymore so I haven't been on their site for about 2 years now, but I went on there last night to check it out and I was honestly saddened by what I saw. The store's essentially dead, they have no selection anymore. A waterblock for CPU, a couple for GPUs, 2 pumps, only Swiftech rads plus one XSPC... All they have is a bunch of screws and fasteners now lol.

I'm curious if they still carry the legendary Yate Loons that Petra originally sold, or if they moved to a cheaper alternative.

Petra
12-29-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm curious if they still carry the legendary Yate Loons that Petra originally sold, or if they moved to a cheaper alternative.

Well, we gave Gary the contact information for our sales guy in China and set things up as part of the deal... so, they should be the same fans.

benniebeeker
12-31-2010, 04:46 AM
i have spent tons with gary... no problems with returns or with any issues with support... he doesn't answer emails on the weekend, but the turnaround time during the week is pretty good.... plus he is right across the border from me in indiana... my order usually gets here in a day or 2 through usps... also, he is carrying yate loons...

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/yateloonfans.html

stangracin3
12-31-2010, 11:46 AM
i have spent tons with gary... no problems with returns or with any issues with support... he doesn't answer emails on the weekend, but the turnaround time during the week is pretty good.... plus he is right across the border from me in indiana... my order usually gets here in a day or 2 through usps... also, he is carrying yate loons...

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/yateloonfans.html

just because he is carrying YLs doesn't mean they are the epic ones that petra's had

Gray Mole
12-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Just picked up a few of the D12SL's and they're pretty amazing. Not sure if that's the same one that Petra had in there, but they move more air, and make less noise, than any of the other 120's I've got in a similar size/rating.

So I'd call 'em epic enough. If anything, I find them quieter than the db rating they state.

Hope you get it sorted, any word on if he got it taken care of?

Hopefully it's just a mix up, or a holiday thing.

Gray

benniebeeker
12-31-2010, 03:34 PM
just because he is carrying YLs doesn't mean they are the epic ones that petra's had

based on what petra said above, they SHOULD be.... i can't imagine people counterfeiting fans... gimme a break...

stangracin3
12-31-2010, 03:48 PM
based on what petra said above, they SHOULD be.... i can't imagine people counterfeiting fans... gimme a break...

YL's have been counterfeited before

[XC] Oj101
12-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Indeed they have, there's actually a thread about it here somewhere (if I'm remembering correctly).

Gray Mole
12-31-2010, 03:57 PM
They could be Chinese knockoffs :D

Oh wait, they're already Chinese...

:rofl:

benniebeeker
01-01-2011, 07:25 AM
They could be Chinese knockoffs :D

Oh wait, they're already Chinese...

exactly... lol

Gray Mole
01-01-2011, 11:17 AM
It is possible to have a couterfeit though, and also to have a different level of quality from the same manufacturer. I don't see them putting the same model number on a fan and supplying a 'good' and 'better' quality, but at the same time if a company requested a very specific spec, it could end up the the same 'package'.

I don't know if Petra requested a more expensive bearing system, or motor to be used in product run/orders. That is a possibility, and it could end up with a different fan quality and not actually be a 'fake', just a 'normal vs. custom' spec.

Seems weird, but is possible.

Will have to look that up. It'd be funny if I got a 'fake' though if I did, it's a pretty good fan, so I don't mind :D

stangracin3
01-01-2011, 01:02 PM
It is possible to have a couterfeit though, and also to have a different level of quality from the same manufacturer. I don't see them putting the same model number on a fan and supplying a 'good' and 'better' quality, but at the same time if a company requested a very specific spec, it could end up the the same 'package'.

I don't know if Petra requested a more expensive bearing system, or motor to be used in product run/orders. That is a possibility, and it could end up with a different fan quality and not actually be a 'fake', just a 'normal vs. custom' spec.

Seems weird, but is possible.

Will have to look that up. It'd be funny if I got a 'fake' though if I did, it's a pretty good fan, so I don't mind :D

iirc the difference was only in the "S" and "M" models
they had the larger motor in them, while everyone else had the smaller motor in theirs

Gray Mole
01-01-2011, 01:07 PM
S&M models?

I think I'm on a completely different train of thought :D

wdrzal
01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
This Section Is "BUILDER RELATIONS" not to debate fans or make random commets from people not directly involved. This section is only for customers to work out problems with their builders.

Runmc,Riptide,Ryder all made posts recently, to paraphase, if YOUR NOT INVOLVED ZIP IT.

Movieman
01-01-2011, 04:36 PM
This Section Is "BUILDER RELATIONS" not to debate fans or make random commets from people not directly involved. This section is only for customers to work out problems with their builders.

Runmc,Riptide,Ryder all made posts recently, to paraphase, if YOUR NOT INVOLVED ZIP IT.

Your right and this thread doesn't really belong in this section but where else to put it beside wamps?? That doesn't make sense either..
This is one of those "gray area" threads..:shrug:

wdrzal
01-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Your right and this thread doesn't really belong in this section but where else to put it beside wamps?? That doesn't make sense either..
This is one of those "gray area" threads..:shrug:

The thread is OK, it's just guys not directly involved making comments not related to builder /seller matters.

Maybe the section Topic should be renamed "Builder/Seller customer relations"

It does seem that once a customer starts a thread here about a builder or seller that matter gets resolved fairly quickly. I believe a lot of the problems in the past came about from the policy to keep "deals & pricing & problems" in PM. Being open benifits both sides & all other XS users.

Now I'll "ZIP IT" before I get Banned again.

Happy New Year to all XS members. :yepp::)

ap4lifetn
01-02-2011, 12:56 PM
a quick update, i sent gary one last email telling him that i would not bother him about my fan but would instead tell all my friends to stop shopping there

one day later he sent me an email apologizing for "getting behind" on his emails and sent me my fan

i am glad i got my fan, but it was just a few bucks, i was more concerned with their lack of communication, i had tried all the emails but would not get a response for weeks

truth be told i dont know how many emails they get per day, but to get behind emails for weeks when they only take 1 min to respond is a little unbelievable for me

stangracin3
01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
a quick update, i sent gary one last email telling him that i would not bother him about my fan but would instead tell all my friends to stop shopping there

one day later he sent me an email apologizing for "getting behind" on his emails and sent me my fan

i am glad i got my fan, but it was just a few bucks, i was more concerned with their lack of communication, i had tried all the emails but would not get a response for weeks

truth be told i dont know how many emails they get per day, but to get behind emails for weeks when they only take 1 min to respond is a little unbelievable for me

glad everything worked out for you.
it does shock me that noone that works there managed to get back to your email before now

when i said in my first post he seems to have been sick alot this year i'd say its been probably 5-6 times

rebelranger
02-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Totally blown away by this! I had no idea that the business changed hands and managed to put an order in last week (All of the parts were basically a repeat from my past orders) then started looking around the site and was shocked as it looked like it hadn't been updated since Dec. I sent an email, no response and then began to wonder what was going on so I looked at reseller ratings and was shocked! I started searching for updates on the shop and found this thread! I hope i get my order!!
Again I'm just shocked.
I loved the same day service and could always depend on an email update from the moment the order was processed until it was out the door.

Most of my friends had no idea until I called and asked them if they knew!!

Thanks for making this post!

stangracin3
02-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Totally blown away by this! I had no idea that the business changed hands and managed to put an order in last week (All of the parts were basically a repeat from my past orders) then started looking around the site and was shocked as it looked like it hadn't been updated since Dec. I sent an email, no response and then began to wonder what was going on so I looked at reseller ratings and was shocked! I started searching for updates on the shop and found this thread! I hope i get my order!!
Again I'm just shocked.
I loved the same day service and could always depend on an email update from the moment the order was processed until it was out the door.

Most of my friends had no idea until I called and asked them if they knew!!

Thanks for making this post!

yeah its kinda obvious they haven't updated it. they could have atleast taken the server maitenance announcement down

rebelranger
02-20-2011, 08:30 AM
What a reverse in direction for this site. I never had to wait for email responses at all. And I don't mean to bash Gary but I've had issues with SW before and of course had to deal with him being unable to give me a refund due to sickness and that was a few years back! So this feels so hauntingly familiar!

yngndrw
02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Not so long ago I sent an email to Petra's asking about international shipping and got a reply a short while after. (They didn't have international shipping setup so they directed me to Sidewinders instead.)

So with that in mind I'm sure your order will go through fine.

rebelranger
02-23-2011, 01:32 PM
I did get a response stating that my order shipped yesterday. So I do hope the site gets updated and more attention is paid to it.

catcherintherye
02-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Non competes aren't enforceable in CA...so you know what to do.

Tom128
03-02-2011, 10:25 AM

The counterfeiting IS why people always said to get them from Petra. There is a clear difference, I love my 8 mediums!

stangracin3
03-02-2011, 01:08 PM

yes and no.

in petra case it is enforceable

NaeKuh
05-02-2011, 12:00 PM

lol.. this is state law im assuming?

yes and no.

in petra case it is enforceable

no unless federal law says he cant... state law > contract which violates state law..

im sure if he saw a lawyer, he could work it out...

if there is a state law that specifically says that, the only law higher then that is a federal law.

And i highly doubt federal law was written in that contract.

However Alex is a reputable businessman, and will do a gentleman law.. which means... out of good faith he will probably keep it.

BeepBeep2
05-02-2011, 01:22 PM
The counterfeiting IS why people always said to get them from Petra. There is a clear difference, I love my 8 mediums!
Yeah, all my Jab-Tech Yates are :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

No offence to JT, the fans just all went bad after about two months of use... they are loud even when warm, make horrendous sounds when cold, and often need about 30 minutes to get to full RPM.

stangracin3
05-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah, all my Jab-Tech Yates are :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

No offence to JT, the fans just all went bad after about two months of use... they are loud even when warm, make horrendous sounds when cold, and often need about 30 minutes to get to full RPM.

check if they are running on 7v...
i had that problem with mine and that was the whole problem.

TheMysticWizard
08-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Wow. I been out of the loop. Was just looking at stuff on the Petra's Tech Shop site... and noticed the place looking pretty run down. Then I started researching, never knew they were sold off. Disappointed for sure. I used to order and go and pick my stuff up from those guys. Damn. Cool guys they were.

Petra
08-31-2012, 09:02 PM
and noticed the place looking pretty run down.

...and you have no idea just how much that bothers me...

Well, at least you didn't find out by driving out to where the warehouse used to be in San Jose... all you would have found upon arrival is a marijuana dispensary :rolleyes:

Bobsama
09-20-2012, 07:54 PM
...and you have no idea just how much that bothers me...

Well, at least you didn't find out by driving out to where the warehouse used to be in San Jose... all you would have found upon arrival is a marijuana dispensary :rolleyes:At least said marijuana dispensary would help you recall the good old days of PTS.

As I said before, I still miss your site, Petra. You used to have all the best hardware--including from many entrepreneurial forumites.

TSXmike
09-21-2012, 02:54 AM
i also miss PTS. scored some great deals back in the 939 days.