PDA

View Full Version : DFI Infinity dead

tennvols_69
01-10-2004, 05:52 PM
well i finially went and installed my infinity. all didnt go well. i went into bios. set cpu speed to defult so i can load windows. went to save and exit and it froze. after 3 hours of waiting i reset it. so now i think its dead. futhermore i tried to hot swap it in another nf2 board and i guess it was on a differant voltage as the chip got extremely hot and award flash said chip did not exist. so now i need a new bios chip. anyone know where i can get one at? or does anyone have one from a board they tried to mod that is now dead that they wanna get rid of?

bigpoppa
01-10-2004, 07:56 PM
you should be able to contact DFI for one, b/c no other boards run a BIOS even remotely close to the DFI LP-B/infinity BIOS.

tennvols_69
01-10-2004, 07:59 PM
i sent the tech support an email about it. do you by chance know how much they run?

podunk
01-10-2004, 09:03 PM
if you are getting a new one from dfi tech support, it will not cost you anything.

tennvols_69
01-10-2004, 09:14 PM
kool good to know that. when i had my asus it cost me 25 $ which sucks. as a not for other users whatch what board you try hot swapping in as some boards i think use more voltage. as when i tried it in my old epox 8kha+ the chip got so hot i tried putting a heatsink on it and the sink got so hot i got burned by it.

clockedOut
01-11-2004, 08:47 AM
You can get one from BadFlash.com,,, but it will cost $25 :(

WinXP
01-11-2004, 11:15 AM
you can hot flash the dfi bios chip with another nf2 mobo. The bios chip has a small dot an sloped side to one side of the bios chip. Just make sure when you insert the dfi bios chip it is in the correct way with the dot as the one removed. Make a dos boot disc an when computer boots to the A: prompt, insert floppy with awdflash an dfi bios. Remove bios chip from running mobo an insert the dfi bios chip. Type awdflash(space) bios name.bin(space)/tiny an hit enter. It will load the bios an ask you if you want to save bios. Press N for no to save bios, then will ask if you are ready to program, Y for yes an it will flash bios. I tried this this morning with my nf7-s mobo. At the end of flash it tells you to remove floppy an press F1, remove floppy an hold down power button till computer shuts down. Remove dfi bios chip an put in dfi mobo, hold down insert key when booting dfi an reset bios options then. I tested my reflashed bios chip in my dfi infinity an worked fine. I have also hot flashed my AN7 bios in the nf7-s, when I corrupted bios from pushing it to hard an it worked fine. Just make sure you insert bios chip with the dot in correct way. an use the /tiny at the end an it will force the flash.

tennvols_69
01-11-2004, 11:30 AM
other nf2 boards may work but trying it in an old epox 8kha+ is a no no chip got so hot it burned me so i belive i fried that chip.

vector7
01-11-2004, 11:45 AM
This board can have flaky boot ups, especially if you are running PCI raid cards (I run 2). Pull the battery when clearing the CMOS by leaving the power (red light lit on board) on but do not turn the system on (fans running) with just the jumper in the reset mode for about 15 seconds. If you turn the power on (fans running) while the CMOS is in the reset mode you will fold the bios chip and have to replace it.

WinXP
01-11-2004, 11:46 AM
You are right it would not work with that mobo as they had 2meg bios chips an the nf2 have 4meg bios chips. It would need to be on another nf2 mobo.

tennvols_69
01-12-2004, 11:52 AM
well i contacted dfi and they are sending another bios does anyone know if you have to send the old back?