PDA

View Full Version : Questions about switching from pre mixed to distilled.

matari
12-06-2010, 08:22 PM
For my water cooling setup, I am using the following:

CPU: EK Sumpreme HF Nickel
Motherboard: EK-FB Asus X58
Radiator: HW SR-1 360
Pump: Swiftech MCP 355
Reservoir: EK X2 Multioption 250
Fittings: Bitspower True Silver Compression Fittings
Tubing: Tygon R-3603

I am considering changing the type of coolant I use in my water cooling setup. I am currently using EC6 UV Blue coolant. There are three main reasons I use the coolant:

1) UV Blue

2) Anticorrosive

3) Biocide

I am considering using distilled water and a biocide. I enjoy adding new components to loop and changing my loop setup and that is where using EC6 becomes a PITA. I have to order a new bottle and most of the time I cannot find the UV Blue version in stock. Also, I use all EK bocks and Eddy has issued a warning of a pending void of warranty for using EC6 UV Blue. I have several concerns about switching to distilled and a simple biocide:

1) The jet plate of my block is more than likely not made of copper (rumor).

2) The MCP 355 Pump (blue impeller) is more than likely not made of copper (rumor).

3) Store bought distilled water not being legitimate distilled water.

4) Athletics is an issue for me- I would like UV blue tubing. I shop at FrozenCPU and SideWinderComputers. The only UV colored tubing I can find is Feser *cough* and PrimoChill. Forget about Feser tubing, so my only choice is PrimoChill. I have heard some reviews were people were complaining about gunk build up in from the use of the tubing. Some of the reviewers were using pre mixed solutions and others were using PT nuke and distilled.

I know there is a big thread on either posted on this forum or another forum about my first issue. What I am looking for is conformation that my first three issues will not be a problem for me, and I am also looking for a recommendation on what UV tubing to use. Any input would be appreciated.

ericFX1984
12-06-2010, 08:28 PM
use silver for a biocide

store bought works great, I have used it for up to 4 years with out a change and had no issues

primo chill is great stuff, I am currently using there gloss black 7/16 x 5/8 tubing

millertime359
12-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Primochill pro LRT is great tubing.

There is no concern with your pump or block and corrosion.

matari
12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
If I use silver, what about the threads on the EK Multioption reservoir? Since their will be little to no flow in that area I would be concerned about growth there. I would use PT nuke but Eddy mentioned a pending void of warranty for using that as well.

Johnny87au
12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Primochill pro LRT is great tubing.

There is no concern with your pump or block and corrosion.

+1, I'd suggest UV tubing coloured blue since you use blue coolant, and use distilled+ pt nuke+ silver coil..