PDA

View Full Version : best cooling case??

quiksilver87
01-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Are there any cases in particular that are custom made for cooling everything(vga, cpu..) preferrably lquid cooling. What is the top of the line case for this?? If there isnt an acutally custom made case for this,what are some good separate cooling systems for the cpu and the vga card....

The system will probably have a

Amd 64 fx-51 and a radeon 9800 xt or a geforce fx 5950 and 1 gig ram

:stick:

skate2snow
01-10-2004, 12:47 PM
the best is caseless, w/ like 3 120MM fans blowing on your more hot hardware

Jrocket
01-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Get the radeon 9800xt!!! Dont go near the geforce fx 5950!

DeBastaard
01-10-2004, 02:22 PM
im using a yeong yang cube, and i must say it's a very nice case =] you can easily dump ur watercooling stuff on one side, and the mobo and such on the other =]

Av3ng3r
01-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Koolance does make cases which include a pre-installed watercooling, but i heard it can have some errors and i don't believe it will be beter as a custom selected watercooling setup.

Don't get that Geforce , the ATI Radeon 9800XT is much beter imo. Btw , the A64FX need ECC memory keep that in mind :)

quiksilver87
01-10-2004, 02:37 PM
I am hearing that vapochill cases(www.vapochill.com) are very good at cooling. It reaches minus 20 degrees celcius...Is this the best cooling case out?? I was wondering if it was better than voodoo's chilling system(glycol cooled)...Becuse one of its systems one the ultimate gaming pc. btw i know about koolance and thermaltake cases.. i dont think they match vapochill or voodoo's chilling.

www.voodoopc.com :slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

faruquehabib
01-10-2004, 02:39 PM
quiksilver87

welcome to the sickness!!:toast:

quiksilver87
01-10-2004, 02:46 PM
huh?!?!! (cough cough) "freak"

DazzXP
01-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Yeah vapochill is the best but has disavantages to, 1# it's real messy is really for advanced users as needs alot of work to setup, and yakes around 30 seconds before your computer can boot as it tries to control the temps without condensations.
O wpuld surgest you read up on it first.

vicious
01-10-2004, 02:48 PM
the sickness of overclocking

quiksilver87
01-10-2004, 02:49 PM
ok

DazzXP
01-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by vicious
the sickness of overclocking You mean a geek right? Spends all of his/her money on the computer.

quiksilver87
01-10-2004, 02:51 PM
lol

NaHeMiA
01-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Prometeia is the best. Right now you can get the Mach1 really cheap.

You can get it for $450 shipped (if you live in the united states) from www.kit-tronics.com you get the top case, prometeia cooler, cpu kit, and lcd.

I got my mk2 w/ enlight case, lcd, cpu kit from them for $760shipped

For a w/c case your going to end up paying 300~350 but if I were in your shoes id just pay the extra 100~150 and be at -40C idle / -35~-30load (evap temp the real temp would be around -35/ -25 idle/load) w/ the prometeia mach1 instead of +30 idle/+40c load with watercoolinh

Btw VapoChill flat out $ucks.

The VapoChill pe is about $650 ($200 more then the Mach1) and has a -20C evap temp under idle and -15C on load. The mounting system is terrible and they still dont have the mounting kits for the a64.

afireinside
01-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Look what your talking about isint a case but phasechange cooling. I dont mean to be mean but you know NOTHING about what your talking about and I sugest you stick with air cooling and read up ALOT before you even THINK of getting something like a vapochill.

skate2snow
01-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Prommy is good buy now. A case you can pay some for 100$+, WC for 200$-300$ (depend on high-end or not), So thats around 350-400$. And the Prommy have a case and a cooling(very good cooling), for only 450$. I think prommy whould be good for you.

BTW: 9800XT is better for OC and stock perf then the FX

NaHeMiA
01-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Your telling me not to get phase cooling?

Ive been using a vapo for a year and now I have a mach2..

read the sig before you make dumb advice......

only reason i suggested the prom was because a few people above were suggesting the vapo..its not like i was the first person to bring this up.

and they were talking about watercooling cases.

why didnt you say "what your talking about is not a case but watercooling"

they have air, water, and phase cooled CASES.

skate2snow
01-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by afireinside
Look what your talking about isint a case but phasechange cooling. I dont mean to be mean but you know NOTHING about what your talking about and I sugest you stick with air cooling and read up ALOT before you even THINK of getting something like a vapochill. Hes looking for a case but he didnt buy is WC kit now so nahemia just say him to combo the two for higher perf. I think it make sens

afireinside
01-10-2004, 06:16 PM
I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to quicksilver.

NaHeMiA
01-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by afireinside
I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to quicksilver.

Oh in that case I am very sorry. I hope you were not offended.

Yeah what quicksilver is saying does not make any sense.

afireinside
01-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Nah you gota be pretty evil to offend me :p:

Firelord-OCHW
01-11-2004, 03:32 AM
The advantage being with watercooling is he could get like a YY Cube fit a 120.3 or large heatercore and cool everything from the CPU to GPU to NB, better than just the CPU :)

Vanrick
01-11-2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by DazzXP
You mean a geek right? Spends all of his/her money on the computer.

lol, you are very wrong, overclocking is more like a hobby like anything else. Peeps thats say geeks only do it is absurd b/c being that this hobby requires a lot of skill, knowledge, and patients, the saying that geeks only do it. Only comes from people that lack such qualities.

DazzXP
01-11-2004, 04:36 AM
Yeah well spending 450+bux on a freaking case & cooling is insaine!! No matter how much surger you put on it :D

Also a new mounting kit for Vapochill is due out on the 19th which makes it easier to setup the Pentium 4 and also supports the Athlon 64, 754 + 940pin.

http://www.asetek.com/filarkiv/Products/XE/XEnewSocketkit.jpg

JoeBar
01-11-2004, 06:20 AM
I agree with afireinside. Prom has exotic performance but it also has its disadvantages and limitations. It's not mented for everyone.

skate2snow
01-11-2004, 07:10 AM
We still learning be trying, if you ONLY have knowledge and no experience in it you will have difficulty at the start too;)

NaHeMiA
01-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Vanrick
lol, you are very wrong, overclocking is more like a hobby like anything else. Peeps thats say geeks only do it is absurd b/c being that this hobby requires a lot of skill, knowledge, and patients, the saying that geeks only do it. Only comes from people that lack such qualities.

Yeah I agree. O/cing is a hobby and it is one of the cheapest hobbys out there(fishing, dirtbiking, ect)..Saying only geeks do it is a sterotype however it is partially right. Ocing requires a lot of knowledge and it takes time to master it and as we all know geeks have plenty of time because they have no friends/life. Lol (not trying to offend anyone). However there are people who work at home, kids who get out early from school, senior citizens, people who work in a computer shop, ect. Not everyone on X is a geek. Look at the pics in the X community.

NaHeMiA
01-11-2004, 11:29 AM
*cough* vapochill sux *cough* :D

skate2snow
01-11-2004, 11:35 AM
the vapochill is chipper then the machII but have poorer perform then the machI...LOL

NaHeMiA
01-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by skate2snow
the vapochill is chipper then the machII but have poorer perform then the machI...LOL

actually its more expensive....

www.frozencpu.com look at the standalone pe's 659 LOL

skate2snow
01-11-2004, 11:41 AM
like a motnh ago, they were saying it was better coze it was chipper

Craig
01-11-2004, 01:09 PM
For water cooling the full tower cases or cube cases work well.

Nickhsub1's cube set up is fantastic, all the heat on one side, and the motherboard and it's components on the other. Sweet.

Lain Li full towers & server cases are also nice, but expensive.

In the end there are quite a few cases that can serve well for water cooling. Just depends on the components you select. I'd suggest you try'n decide on a pump & rad, then choose a case that will work the best with it.

quiksilver87
01-11-2004, 01:28 PM
yeah i am a noob and ur pretty right i dont know what i am not very knowledgable in what i am talking about....but hey this is a forum right??? and all i am looking for is a top of the line pc becoz i have been a gamer for 4 years...

J-Pak
01-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by NaHeMiA
Prometeia is the best. Right now you can get the Mach1 really cheap.

You can get it for $450 shipped (if you live in the united states) from www.kit-tronics.com you get the top case, prometeia cooler, cpu kit, and lcd.

I got my mk2 w/ enlight case, lcd, cpu kit from them for $760shipped

For a w/c case your going to end up paying 300~350 but if I were in your shoes id just pay the extra 100~150 and be at -40C idle / -35~-30load (evap temp the real temp would be around -35/ -25 idle/load) w/ the prometeia mach1 instead of +30 idle/+40c load with watercoolinh

Btw VapoChill flat out $ucks.

The VapoChill pe is about $650 ($200 more then the Mach1) and has a -20C evap temp under idle and -15C on load. The mounting system is terrible and they still dont have the mounting kits for the a64.

Cheapest M1 system with case is $532 US did they change their prices? And you got a MKII system with case for $760? Holy §§§§ where are these prices???

impu|se
01-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Jesus, my head hurts from reading these posts. Do any of you know how to spell? You can't cool a case, or you wouldnt want to. You want to cool the cpu, and you buy whatever you want, then buy a fitting case. The guys are right you have no idea what you're talking about, try reading first

Dr.Demonic69
01-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Best of the Best right here:http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cas-01.html

3x 120m and 2x 80m fans.......can't beat this stuff.

quiksilver87
01-11-2004, 09:59 PM
i dont know about you guys but i am not the EXTREME MEMBER over here... all i want is a very good pc for playing my games.

althes
01-12-2004, 05:10 AM
Just buy a nice 40dollar case get a couple 120mm fans make 3 blowholes and you will be all set.
Case temps will be nice and cpu and vidcard will have nice airflow.

Techmasta
01-12-2004, 12:11 PM
If you take your pc to lans often I wouldn't suggest a phase change system. They are heavy. A lian li or chieftec case with some simple watercooling would work well.

xgman
01-12-2004, 02:47 PM
CUBE.

http://www.mountainmods.com/

nuf said./

quiksilver87
01-12-2004, 04:48 PM
xgman..damn those are a lot of fans on those cases. but i dont like the way they look. The cube shape.

kommando
01-12-2004, 05:55 PM
My Aopen HQ-08 suits my needs perfectly but wiht ym water setup its FKN HEAVY, thats why i added handles :)

hollywood
01-13-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by NaHeMiA
Yeah I agree. O/cing is a hobby and it is one of the cheapest hobbys out there(fishing, dirtbiking, ect)..Saying only geeks do it is a sterotype however it is partially right. Ocing requires a lot of knowledge and it takes time to master it and as we all know geeks have plenty of time because they have no friends/life. Lol (not trying to offend anyone). However there are people who work at home, kids who get out early from school, senior citizens, people who work in a computer shop, ect. Not everyone on X is a geek. Look at the pics in the X community.

No kidding, I tell folks that I'm way into gaming and PCs and they're like... "Oh...so your into all that geek stuff huh???"

I'm like, "do you ever watch reality TV???"

They say , "umm, yeah..of course I do."

Then I tell them, " So you're a dumbass like everyone else huh???" ;)

I NEVER watch TV anymore..like since 4 years ago I've only watched news, History channel, Discovery or something like that once every blue moon. Plus unlike the stereotype, I'm 6'1", 174lbs, a college student with a VERY attractive fiance' and am a private pilot. So I guess I'm just "all into that geek stuff huh???" ;)

Dumbass mentally retarded sheep...the whole lot of 'em!!!:slap: :upset:

quiksilver87
01-14-2004, 04:57 AM
hahaah yeah i get ur point. The stereotype is bull.

quiksilver87
01-14-2004, 06:58 PM
btw why are you guys soo against geforce fx 5950?? Why shouldnt i not get near it...?

kokoro_kara
01-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by quiksilver87
btw why are you guys soo against geforce fx 5950?? Why shouldnt i not get near it...?

Hi Quicksilver87,

Welcome, you can learn much here.

Might I suggest clicking on the search button. There is much to learn in this forum, and some of your questions can be quickly answered there.

These guys are right on with their information, and they are starting to point you towards airflow and keeping it simple.

You do not need expensive cooling systems to have a good gaming machine or even a great one. You can do a lot with great air flow and heatsinks. Much safer at this stage you appear to be at.

Go for it if you want, but recognize if you don't look before you leap you might fry a few 400 Dollar Video Cards

;)

quiksilver87
01-18-2004, 01:15 PM
yeah ur right i am too inexperienced to quickly jump into xtreme overclocking just for a gmaing case.. i think i will start with a good case with good air flow in it.:)

btw why are you guys soo against geforce fx 5950 and with ati?? Why shouldnt i not get near geforce ?

zippyc
01-19-2004, 10:22 AM
First, by coolest case I am assuming you are meaning one that keeps the internal motherboard operating temps as low as possible.

The Promethia and Vapochill (which include their own cases) are better thought of as extreme and advanced total cooling solutions that sound like a fridge running when turned on. This is because they use air conditioning compressors to focus very low temps on the interface that fits atop your chosen CPU, getting very cold temps to that one spot on your system.

Phase Change systems do not necessarily provide the best airflow for the VGA card, the power mosfets on your MB, the hard drives, etc (those items DON’T get air-conditioning). Here is a quote from Opps review of the Vapochill last year

Quote Begins
=====================

Pricing and availability

From what I could see as far as availability, it looks as though there are two companies in the US that are advertising the VapoChill XE. They are asking $895.00 USD for the unit. Although it may sound like a lot, as you can see, you can make o_ne very fast PC with this unit. You can find the US distributors at the asetek web site here.

Complaints

Basically I have o_nly o_ne complaint about the $900 cooler, this would be overall case cooling. With all the emphasis o_n cooling the CPU, how about something to keep your system temperatures and peripherals cooler? You can have a nice cool CPU but if your north bridge and video card is boiling then it’s no good. I mean the Chill Controller has a couple extra 12V lines that are there for hooking up extra case fans, yet for your $895 the XE doesn’t come with any case fans at all. To make this unit complete, I would like to see three low noise 120mm fans o_n the case, o_ne up top as an exhaust to take the heat out of the compressor area, o_ne down in front as an intake, and an additional intake fan o_n the side panel. Now we’re talking a super-cooling and an overall happier machine. It may just be this Southern California heat wave getting to me, but every case needs fans for efficient cooling.
===============================
Quote Ends

Check out his full article here (good phase change basics here too):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Seviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=24&page=1

Phase change systems are expensive, sometimes loud, and are not good to start with unless you already have very solid computer building/and or AC experience IMHO.

So your first decision is “do I Air Cool, Water Cool, or Phase Change?”

If you are air cooling, a case with good internal air cross flow is important. So it helps to have as many fans mounts and intakes/exhausts front/back/top/side as possible. Minimum of two fans blowing in on front and two fans exhausting in the rear (or more) is best. Fans on top and side can help too.

This also means you will spend more $$$ on fans, and your system sounds like a harrier jet when turned on. You might also invest $20-$30 on a decent CPU cooler/fansink.

Now if you are air or water cooling, keep in mind aluminum or aluminum alloy cases can help dissipate heat faster than steel cases. Also, if you route your CPU’s exhaust directly out of the box with a shroud exhaust for your CPU cooler (I think thermaltake makes one), you can keep your internal temps a bit lower because that hot CPU air does not blow on your MB. NOTE: be careful using these, some MB’s depend on that air-movement from the CPU cooler to cool the immediately surrounding components, so you might need to add a simple fan in that area to keep the circulation up after shrouding the CPU exhaust.

From there you might add watercooling. This is where you make your next big decision. Do you want your system to be portable? If so, would you like it all to be contained within the case? If so, you better pick large case so you have room for radiators and a water pump inside there. So a full sized-tower like an Antec 1040 or a cube with extra room might make more sense for you so you can build these things into your system at a later date.

Or, if you wish you can build your own or purchase a pre-assembled external water cooling solution which houses the radiator, pump, and extra fans so your case does not have to. A product like the Techcool @ techcool.com , the Aquarius at http://www.circotech.com/aquarius-iii-a1681-external-liquid-cooling-system.html , or the Koolance Exos will work for that.

I personally prefer the external solutions because I have a massive water pump that generates too much heat to contain in my case (it and my radiators are actually in the room next door to my box..) But I don’t take my best system to lan parties, so I don’t mind the quasi-permanent location. And of the external solutions I prefer the techcool because it uses the far superior ½ ID hose and provides much better flow rates and heat dissipation than the Exos or Aquarius.

So think big if you want to watercool all in one case, otherwise it will not matter…you could use a Shuttle box and an Aquarius and possibly be more portable than someone with a full-sized tower.

Here is a link to a good representation of recent case launches at Computex including pics of the Aquarius and a Shuttle type solution:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/business/20030925/index.html

If you are going to phase change, a case will be included with the solution and you'll get what you get for your $500-$900.

Hope this helps.

zippyc
01-19-2004, 12:21 PM
I got this Kingwin for my case. I like this case a lot for its finish and fit inside. Only good if you use external watercooling.

All the knobs are for fan speed control, I have two 80MM's case fans in front, two in back, and one on top.

So I am running five...nay...SIX fans (one 80MM "floats" inside for video memory cooling) even while watercooling the CPU, GPU, and Northbridge.

Welcome to the sickness...we are all our own support group here.

:toast:

zippyc
01-19-2004, 12:26 PM
reposting here.....

quiksilver87
01-24-2004, 05:32 PM
I like the exterior look...btw will it be a big hassel to upgrade ur pc(chip, ram, VGA) to fit ur case and all its watercooling parts...

zippyc
01-25-2004, 01:03 AM
I believe it is a very good case for air cooling (which is how I start all my builds anyway).

It will be difficult to fit a Pump, Radiator, and Resivoir inside this case (Two sides and the top have windows). Not much room inside there for a big radiator.

But you could easily connect an external water cooling solution like the Corsair Hydrocool, Koolance Exos, or Techcool to this (or any case, really).

If you plan to cool the CPU and the VGA and the Northbridge Chipset, I'd pick the Techcool for the bigger heatercore capacity and large hose diameter/better flowrates/better cooling.

Many people also build their own extrenal water cooling boxes using the heater core from autos, tubing from a hardware store, and a pump from a fish store(me included). And that is the least expensive way to do it and can be fun too...

zippyc
02-10-2004, 09:33 PM
I've also seen a setup with a radiator outside and attached to the back of a case that is a full tower. Here is a link to an example with all dangerden stuff. Note how little space is left in his case, and imagine trying to fit that pump in a case like mine...which is three drive bays shorter.

http://home.ma.rr.com/silverback/