PDA

View Full Version : New beast

STEvil
12-05-2010, 12:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmhugO1EaiA

Pyle (lol yeah) 21" subwoofer showed up in the mail yesterday ;)

Now to plan what to build... and find time to do it.

Movieman
12-05-2010, 01:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmhugO1EaiA

Pyle (lol yeah) 21" subwoofer showed up in the mail yesterday ;)

Now to plan what to build... and find time to do it.

You get 3 football linemen to carry it in?:rofl:

Sn0wm@n
12-05-2010, 01:41 AM
we deffinatly need a sub sound test when its ready :D

Serra
12-05-2010, 10:22 AM
ABORT THIS BOOKLET

:rofl:

EniGmA1987
12-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Pyle brand? Ewww ewww ewww. Pyle of crap :( Worst products I have ever used.

Hondacity
12-05-2010, 10:49 AM
21...thats the size of my bicycle tire...lol

huge!!!

ericFX1984
12-05-2010, 11:53 AM
honestly, why? It will sound very sloppy and it has no place being in the home theater and Audiophile section

lol, look how small that magnet is, I would like to see you pump a true 150 watt RMS through it, it will burn

STEvil
12-05-2010, 04:29 PM
honestly, why? It will sound very sloppy and it has no place being in the home theater and Audiophile section

lol, look how small that magnet is, I would like to see you pump a true 150 watt RMS through it, it will burn

I think you need to further your education..... :rofl:

Pyle brand? Ewww ewww ewww. Pyle of crap :( Worst products I have ever used.

Not the best for sure, but cheap and fun ;)

Also if you look up the specs on this thing they arent half bad actually.

PaganII
12-05-2010, 06:09 PM
we deffinatly need a sub sound test when its ready :D

Movie: U571

ericFX1984
12-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I think you need to further your education..... :rofl:

next thing you will be telling me that Super blues are HiFi

further my education...that's a laugh, I have been doing home theatre and home audio since the dark ages, I dabbled in car audio, but it's just not a good place for proper sound, car audio has become about how much disorted 'bass' you can pump out

honestly I would not touch a subwoofer over 12", and normally I like to limited it to 10"... most drivers above 12" are cheaply made, sloppy sounding and have insanely small magnets and coils foir the size of the driver... kinda like your 21" that magnet made me lol

it all comes down to an issue of mass, that driver is going to heavy and slow to respond... it might be deep, but it will just make noise....

EniGmA1987
12-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Supposedly it has a 350oz magnet and 2,000 watts peak power handling. and 107db sensitivity at 1w@1m

I call complete BS on those specs. Everything else I have seen from them has falsely listed specs, this probably does too. Id imagine to get any kind of high sensitivity rating the x-max on this driver must be incredibly low, like 1mm. Which means it wont be able to push out low frequencies well at all, so what is the point of a 21" sub that cant produce subwoofer frequencies?

Please plug a meter into the wall to check power draw and push this 21" driver to 107db, measured with a dB meter. See how much power it draws please.

provided by Magnetar actual specs:
Fs: 31.61 Hz
Re: 5.59 ohms
Qms: 4.03
Qes: 0.38
Qts: 0.34
Vas: 9.69 cu. ft.
SPL: 95 dB 1W/1m
Power handling: 400 watts RMS/600 watts max

STEvil
12-06-2010, 02:07 AM
next thing you will be telling me that Super blues are HiFi

Of course not

further my education...that's a laugh, I have been doing home theatre and home audio since the dark ages, I dabbled in car audio, but it's just not a good place for proper sound, car audio has become about how much disorted 'bass' you can pump out

Then I guess you need to look into car audio again. Sure you can do SPL competition, but there is a large SQ community and people are always looking for the next best thing, if you bother to go deeper than the fanboys that is.

honestly I would not touch a subwoofer over 12", and normally I like to limited it to 10"... most drivers above 12" are cheaply made, sloppy sounding and have insanely small magnets and coils foir the size of the driver... kinda like your 21" that magnet made me lol

Why 12"? Diaphram weight is more of a determining factor than its size and as long as it doesnt distort through the range of required movement (mere millimeters in many setups) at the required frequencies then you've got nothing to base your 12" number on. As to magnet and coil size, guass power is your limiting factor and the coil can only use a certain amount of effective guass power given its relatively small thickness. If you want a quick lesson in how this works take a neo magnet and stick it to a thick piece of steel. Its hard to pry off. Next do it to something very thin. Its very easy to remove. A coil is the same problem, its thin. The magnetic gap helps with this issue slightly given that the electrical force being applied comes from the coil itself, but it is still limited to what the coil can effectively dissipate before electrical drive force is compressed and does nothing effective other than create distortion.

As to coil power dissipation, that is somewhat more of a factor based on coil size (4" as in this 21" driver, 3" as in my other two 18" drivers, the myriad of sizes between and below) and ventilation capacity of the motor structure, let alone the coil impedance or inductance rise over coil movement, clipping the amplifier, or even running into suspension compliance issues.

In short 150w will barely tickle this coil and magnet size is barely related to power handling capabilities.

it all comes down to an issue of mass, that driver is going to heavy and slow to respond... it might be deep, but it will just make noise....

This driver has a very low moving mass (relative to its size) and is specifically meant for low frequencies. Yeah sure this driver can produce some vocal range output if you want, but i'm not going to be using it for that.

Supposedly it has a 350oz magnet and 2,000 watts peak power handling. and 107db sensitivity at 1w@1m

I call complete BS on those specs. Everything else I have seen from them has falsely listed specs, this probably does too. Id imagine to get any kind of high sensitivity rating the x-max on this driver must be incredibly low, like 1mm. Which means it wont be able to push out low frequencies well at all, so what is the point of a 21" sub that cant produce subwoofer frequencies?

I think the xmax is around 9-17mm, which isnt great, but not really bad given the displacement capacity of the diaprham. The specs I agree are not perfect but they're decent for the price.

Please plug a meter into the wall to check power draw and push this 21" driver to 107db, measured with a dB meter. See how much power it draws please.

Will do if I remember, but I expect those numbers to be fairly accurate. Power handling looks a little down though.

ericFX1984
12-06-2010, 04:24 AM

yeah, 107db @1w@1m is not going to happen with something making that low of a bass note, some tweeters don't even do that

and a 350oz mad, not from the looks of it

I remember when my little cousin purchased a bunch of 12" car subwoofers (I think they where kicker comps?) and they had a large cover over the magnet that looked like a magnet, however with the cover removed it was plain to see that the magnet was in fact less than half that size

STEvil
12-06-2010, 06:51 PM
lol the old kicker magnet boots.. yeah I had some of those, they came on the squares (pair of L7 10's and a pair of L5 10's) that I mentioned in the linked video.

Something to remember about the efficiency rating is that 1: its largely junk and 2: its usually at a specific frequency.

For those interested, i've tested the resonance of the driver and it works up to 170hz pretty good, around 5hz it looks to be rolling off but I was only using 100W at the most and was running into huge clipping issues...

Magnets are about 350oz I think, not that it matters a ton. They're only a bit smaller than the tripple slug motor on my 18's that are ~600oz.

Currently i'm running the driver free-air to give the suspension a bit of use.

Kingcarcas
12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
If i had the space i would just buy two subs like some on AVS, if you want to be a real badass get those ceiling high round subs some guys have......i wouldn't go through the trouble of building something.

STEvil
12-06-2010, 09:32 PM
ceiling high round subs? what?

EniGmA1987
12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm confuzzled on that one too.

What?

Hell Hound
12-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Bazooka tube,but there not that tall.:up:

STEvil
12-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh, a sono-sub. Its just a round ported enclosure, nothing special.

Guess what? They're custom built.