PDA

View Full Version : Have i reached my Limit at 4.3ghz?

theveteran
12-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi there

I have tried pushing for 4.4ghz,my cpu and nb/sb/mosfets are all watercooled,
i upped the volts for the cpu to around 1.50 and im still failing linx in 2 passes,i dont want to go any higher with the volts as realtemp is giving temps of 81 degrees before it fails prime.

My question is "Is there anything else i could do to achieve 4.4 by messing with ram timings etc or has my cpu hit its limit?"

At 4.4 my ram is 1689(its only 1600mhz cas 9)could my ram be failing linx or is it the cpu?

Any advice i would appreciate

eXa
12-04-2010, 06:21 PM
81c:eh:

But if youre wondering whats failing, overclock 1 thing at the time instead of everything at the same time. then you will find out each components limits.

BeepBeep2
12-04-2010, 06:22 PM
If you want to know, you need to set your ram divider lower and test again. Your temps look high, and thats actually quite a bit of voltage there.

Toolius
12-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Hello :)
It seems this is a cooling issue. Heat rises and so does the current draw. It might just be that your chip can clock higher .. its just getting too hot.
it might also be that your chip isnt a good one. I have seen this before as well .. Some chips just wouldn't clock. I have seen s D0 920 that needed 1.18 for 3.8 ghz and just wouldnt clock any higher all the way to 1.4v ..
Strange behavior yes but it happens. Try a different processor if possible and see how that fares.
cheers :)

theveteran
12-04-2010, 06:32 PM
If you want to know, you need to set your ram divider lower and test again. Your temps look high, and thats actually quite a bit of voltage there.

Ram divider?can you explain to me how to do this please?Is this timings?
How can i oc the cpu and not the ram?When i increase the bclk the ram goes up as well?

MpG
12-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Once you get past ~4.2GHz, a lot of i7's need you to start working with things outside of the usual Vcore and RAM timings. Things like clock skew and the other bus voltages start to become important. And I assume you've already verified that your memory an BClock isn't the limiting factor?

Metroid
12-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Too much Vcore, it is not worth the extra furnace. If I were you I would stay at 4.2GHz 24/7, my golden i7 920 8 threads HT ON C0/C1 can do 4.2GHz with only 1.31v 24/7.

theveteran
12-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Once you get past ~4.2GHz, a lot of i7's need you to start working with things outside of the usual Vcore and RAM timings. Things like clock skew and the other bus voltages start to become important. And I assume you've already verified that your memory an BClock isn't the limiting factor?

I dropped the ram to 1604 and 4.4ghz by using 22xmultiplyer.

I got a bsod on linx within in a minute...paged fault in a non paged area.

i think this is ram related.

I have adjusted the ich voltages and clock skew to achieve 4.3 fully stable on linx,occt,ibt and prime.

4.4 however is proving little more trickier.

Can somebody recommend me some ram timings that i can try please.

BeepBeep2
12-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I just can't understand why you have such low-end ram in a system with those video cards and that CPU as well as your watercooling.

Go buy some 1600 C7 or C6 and I'm sure you will have a much easier time overclocking.