PDA

View Full Version : 55" Vizio

Cpl Ledanek
11-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Looking for folks with a 55" Vizio (from Targer)

Is this a good basic flat TV for DirectTV standard subscription?
Wii gaming also

We were shopping around for a 55" but the price is something I cannot agree upon, specially it's 99% is for my aging MIL who watches two channels.
both channels have a station ID that have historically burnt an image on the tv.

i can't watch on this tv bcoz of her annoying nature, so I rather save my pennies on a better tv somewhere else in the house, maybe the basement.

now the tv is 99% for her viewing and when the god-daughters comes 3-4x a yr to play Wii

would these Vizio play fine for these situations?

advance thanks

Nanometer
12-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Games might play better on a plasma, but if reaction time isn't important on the games you play then it doesn't matter on what I brought up.. so that screen would do just fine. It is not so much if the tv is okay for the situations, it's if the tv technology and brand are decent. I know vizio isn't the bottom of the barrel and an lcd would be fine. So to answer your question, yes it should work just fine. But since the tv is for her, maybe you can get her something smaller, and maybe spend an extra couple hundred on a tv for yourself ;-)

Cpl Ledanek
12-04-2010, 06:16 PM
thx

unfortunately, the room dictates it to be at least 50". The sofa is more than 10 ft away. It's very difficult to watch around 40"...we tried.

I guess I go back searching for a deal on them Vizio. I see some of them 55" have built it Internet-TV and 4 HDMI for our BR and components for the Wii.

Too bad I missed the Black Friday Deal:shakes:

Nanometer
12-04-2010, 07:34 PM
wait till christmas =-) and i believe the wireless can only work if you have a wireless adapter. just a heads up that could be an issue. I'm not sure which sets have full actual wireless, and not just wireless ready.

Cpl Ledanek
12-05-2010, 08:36 PM
eyeballing this Vizio XVT553SV (http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-xvt553sv/4505-6482_7-34122871.html)...like the convenient remote....some imperfection, but dammit, did I just missed a nice price during Black Friday :shakes:

zanzabar
12-05-2010, 08:45 PM
since u have space and need a large tv how about a mitsu dlp, best IQ, 3d ready, no burn in, and cheap
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=487&name=DLP-TV

Cpl Ledanek
12-06-2010, 05:51 PM
since u have space and need a large tv how about a mitsu dlp, best IQ, 3d ready, no burn in, and cheap
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=487&name=DLP-TV

tried DLP, the room is too bright, can't handle it, everything black was grey...too annoying

thanks

dengyong
12-06-2010, 06:19 PM
If you want a vizio TV buy it from Costco (in store), they add an extra year warranty.

Kingcarcas
12-06-2010, 08:55 PM
1. I don't get peoples fascination with flat panels, for $800 you can get a 60''+ DLP.
2. After you mention 10' away 60+ is a must
3. You can even get a 65'' plasma for cheap now. Don't get LCD. Look into curtains if you need to

zanzabar
12-06-2010, 09:00 PM
tried DLP, the room is too bright, can't handle it, everything black was grey...too annoying

thanks

easy fix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation_shutters

and u will still be cheaper than a cheap lcd, and the dlp arnt bad unless u have the screen in direct light so maybe u need some techno fungshui in your living room

PaganII
12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
3D DLP projector
Acer H5360
DLP Link or Nvidia Nvision compatable
1280 x720 120Hz native
58" @ 2m

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009223

They were on sale for $479usd couple weeks ago. Should have bought 3 for 3840 x 720 3D Eyefinity.

zanzabar
12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
3D DLP projector
Acer H5360
DLP Link or Nvidia Nvision compatable
1280 x720 120Hz native
58" @ 2m

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009223

They were on sale for $479usd couple weeks ago. Should have bought 3 for 3840 x 720 3D Eyefinity.

720p is not vary good for tv most things are 1080i and it can look strange, and if the dlp wont work a full on projector wont.

Cpl Ledanek
12-06-2010, 11:59 PM
If you want a vizio TV buy it from Costco (in store), they add an extra year warranty.
I was told this today, we wandered in (not member...yet) and they are sold out. This may become our route or online (Amazon)

1. I don't get peoples fascination with flat panels, for $800 you can get a 60''+ DLP.
3. You can even get a 65'' plasma for cheap now. Don't get LCD. Look into curtains if you need to
sorry sir, we tried the DLP, just did not work.

easy fix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation_shutters

and u will still be cheaper than a cheap lcd, and the dlp arnt bad unless u have the screen in direct light so maybe u need some techno fungshui in your living room
we canvased for thick curtains (almost velvet-like) and it was pushing $600-700 (without the remote: add $400). Then trying to find the right color to match our 3-tone color motiff family room is a headbanger of a headache.

Thanks guys. We're bookmarking VIZIO XVT553SV on Amazon and Costco.:up:

PaganII
12-07-2010, 02:11 AM
720p is not vary good for tv most things are 1080i and it can look strange, and if the dlp wont work a full on projector wont.

Not if you have an MDP-130 tuner in the computer.
Gaming in 3D, football is amazing. To bad Nascar is over till Febuary.
This projector does many resolutions, just about any common res between 800 x 600 and 1920 x 1080, but 1280 x 720p 60/120 Hz is native. 3D mode is 1280 x 720p 120 Hz. Automatically switches to 120 Hz when detecting a 3D app. The tuner (in the comp) converts any channel to 1280 x 720. Also does pass thru of the desktop, PIP, swap. The screen cost $4 for blackout cloth at a fabric store.

Enjoy the Vizio! 55" is a great size. Not too big, not too small. I need as big a screen size as I can get. Can;t read on monitors anymore ha ha.

Cpl Ledanek
12-10-2010, 10:23 PM
need a little help with Network setup
the wireless setup went w/o a hitch
but I'm trying to set up the "Wired" setting
and unfortunately, networking is my Achilles heel.

Do I just copy everything My Network settings on my PC?

Advance thanks

PaganII
12-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Congrats on the new TV! Don't know about the network stuff, I just plugged in my BR player to the router and it worked.
They probably have a thread just for the set at AVS forum. Bet they would know.

Nanometer
12-11-2010, 03:15 AM
Wired should only require a change in one or two settings and the rest should be automatic. Id take a look at the manual if you haven't already and then I would check out the forums.

Cpl Ledanek
12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Question about HDMI

I hook my Samsung BR BP-P3600 player to my Vizio TV via HDMI.

Do I still connect my optical connection? My older Pioneer receiver VSX-35TX has no HDMI connection. Do I connect my audio via component (red & white)

[XC] Lead Head
12-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Connect the optical connection from the player to the receiver. Optical will give you much better sound.

zanzabar
12-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Question about HDMI

I hook my Samsung BR BP-P3600 player to my Vizio TV via HDMI.

Do I still connect my optical connection? My older Pioneer receiver VSX-35TX has no HDMI connection. Do I connect my audio via component (red & white)

u can ether, connect the optical from the player to the receiver or your tv should have an optical out and u can go from that to the receiver.

Kingcarcas
12-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Good thing about older receivers that don't carry HDMI audio like mine, i hook it up to the TV and use the TV speakers for regular TV, but if we watch a movie or a game i can fire up the Rec. and have optical running to that to work the speakers. :D
A projector would have had a better chance than RPTV, you mount it to the ceiling and then get an 80'' screen on the wall, oh well.

Not too big
No such thing. For the first few weeks maybe, but after that i guarantee you will think it's small. This is after 4 HDTVs, each one bigger in size.

BeepBeep2
12-17-2010, 11:00 PM

DLP's are flat, but they are thicker heavier and won't really wall mount.

Cpl Ledanek
12-18-2010, 03:56 PM
.... each one bigger in size.

that's what she said ...............oh wait?:confused:

So far enjoying the clarity of the Vizio XVT553SV:up:
Been watching BBC/Discovery Life series and Avatar and was quite impressed.
Was trying to nik-pick when the animals moves so fast or scenes in Avatar if there are any ghosting...so far none.

Watch Appleseed Ex-Machina and started noticing the different textures on each characters that I didn't notice on the DVD version.

Still fiddling around my receivers setting so I can get my surround speakers to come alive during the climatic scenes in Avatar.

Glare has been cut down dramatically....still can see it the windows and aluminum blinds but not as distracting as previous... I might get some thick curtains in the future

PolRoger
12-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Picked up my 55" XVTS3 from Costco today and so far I'm pleased with the PQ on this model. A quick Blu-Ray demo (Coraline) was looking especially impressive!

@ Cpl Ledanek... here is a thread over at AVS forums for the Vizio XVTS3 line: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1262413

Cpl Ledanek
01-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Picked up my 55" XVTS3 from Costco today and so far I'm pleased with the PQ on this model. A quick Blu-Ray demo (Coraline) was looking especially impressive!

@ Cpl Ledanek... here is a thread over at AVS forums for the Vizio XVTS3 line: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1262413

thanks, I didn't know about this :up:

might as well ask here too:

Question
we thought this tv came with a YouTube Vizio App. Apparently it doesn't.

Now I'm thinking of adding a little nettop to stream movies or play mp4s, or have my wife be able to search and play YouTube on it.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good cheap nettop or those mini-PCs you hang on the back of these tvs

thanks

Kingcarcas
01-16-2011, 08:43 PM
DLP's are flat, but they are thicker heavier and won't really wall mount.
Both of my DLPs are lighter than our 50'' plasma.