PDA

View Full Version : Can accidental pull on the headphone cables from time to time ruin my cans?

lkiller123
11-22-2010, 07:07 PM
I have a pair of AKG K420 cans that I use everyday.
I love them, but not for it's ultra short headphone cables; I guess they are for laptops and not desktop systems.

I have an extension cord to compensate for the short length, and they are very long.
Because of the excessive length, I can yank the headphone by accident from time to time. It is not a hard yank, just a sudden trip when I am trying to put them on. It happens almost everyday.

Will that destroy or degrade my headphones?

STEvil
11-22-2010, 07:47 PM
depends on the headphones and angle of the pull, but yeah something will give eventually.

Nanometer
11-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Most likely to break or bend is the plug and the port. I've bent plugs before making them nearly impossible to take out. I've also ruined ports before as well. Do your best to take care of them, and wrap it around the receiver if it's that long to prevent it from ripping out.

lkiller123
11-23-2010, 12:36 PM
I am just afraid of the headphone end of the wire will eventually give up. That would not be the case, right?

Nanometer
11-23-2010, 10:07 PM
it's possible. You can never guarantee the life span of a product when it's being used in a way it's not intended. Ex: cords are not supposed to be yanked.

[XC] Oj101
11-23-2010, 10:46 PM
I've destroyed two sets of nice cans by tripping over the wire and yanking them off of the table :( The wire breaks where it goes into the cans (I'm presuming the solder point inside).

1ke
11-27-2010, 12:07 AM
This sounds like a problem that can easily be resolved. Get extension cables or move the Amp/Player/PC Closer to you. If you trip over cables, you should think about routing it differently.