PDA

View Full Version : 240hz LED LCD vs 600hz Plasma? Which one has better picture?

sladesurfer
11-22-2010, 03:01 PM
just curious

RADCOM
11-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Hmmm I'd say all these hz figures point to post processing which in most cases make the picture different not better. If you want ot see the difference get a dealer to set them up side by side. Big plasma fan myself it's newer technology than LCD :)

zanzabar
11-22-2010, 04:03 PM
it dose not matter, that is the display rate not the input so it makes no difference but the panel used dose. and easy solution is get a Panasonic 60hz (unless u want 3d) for an lcd 46" or less and get a plasma if u want larger, and all plasmas are 600hz sub field now.

Nanometer
11-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Plasma has less blur, no question there. An LCD has blur, and I have yet to see a decent plasma be beat by any LCD screen. A better picture is subjective to what you are using it for and what you like. In general a better "rounded" picture with the most accurate display of colors belongs to a plasma. An LED TV is brighter, more vivid, and generally misrepresents the true colors of the picture.

Aphex_Tom_9
11-22-2010, 11:58 PM
^^^truth

[DANGERDAN]
11-24-2010, 04:57 AM
600hz from plasma and 120-240 hz from LCD are two different technology's, i will explain each as best i can.

LCD has not been perfected and most probably will never be so with problems like response rate no matter what anyone tells you the LCD response rate affects the image performance in regards to motion accuracy and clarity.
Movies are only recorded and displayed in 24 fps which is the global specific setting for the movie and film industry but our eyes are able to see up to 60-100, so what the LCD manufacturers have done is created a type of engine that generates prediction frames between real frames.
What this does is gives the picture in movies a more clear and smooth image, 120hz inserts 1 frames with every real frame (24 increased to 48) and 240hz adds 3 frames with every real frame (24 increased to 96).
When you ask 120hz vs 240hz it really comes down to how well the engine has been done and how well the prediction frames are generated (also known as interpolation), 120hz could look better than 240hz but 240hz tends to have a lower error rate but you should always let your eyes decide as different companies will have a different effect.

With plasmas its a totally different road, 600hz is the standard spec with current plasma's today but really this is called the sub field drive and what this does is repeats every image 10 times (60hz x 10 = 600), the effect from this gives the plasma a super fast response time of 0.001ms which removes any ghosting that results from high response time and this technology can only be achieved with plasma's.
So with the response time at instant this gives the best clarity with every frame but still not perfect, companies like Panasonic have its own interpolation software called intelligent frame creation which is essentially 120hz adding 1 predicted frame with every real frame.
Because the response time is already so good the interpolation engine does not need to be as advanced as LCD does and produces a brilliant sharp and clear picture which is hard to beat by any technology.

Hope this clears things up :)

RPGWiZaRD
11-24-2010, 10:00 AM
From my experience the 600Hz technique Panasonic uses works better than the average 120 or 240Hz LCD, it doesn't overdo it like with the LCDs and I've always kept the feature enabled on my parents Plasma without noticing that unnatural flow. Only rarely I've seen a hint of that "floating" flow when the camera is moving sideways meanwhile some people are walking as well but usually it doesn't look unnatural at all like many of the LCD TV's interpolation implementation does. Also that nowadays Plasmas would have very soft picture I can't agree with, at least not with the Panasonic G10 my parents use that has sharpness set to "9" out of 10, the picture is amazingly sharp even SD material looks great (which I believe Plasmas handle better in average as well), no different than the LED TVs I see at shops.

sladesurfer
11-26-2010, 09:58 AM
;4640374']600hz from plasma and 120-240 hz from LCD are two different technology's, i will explain each as best i can.

LCD has not been perfected and most probably will never be so with problems like response rate no matter what anyone tells you the LCD response rate affects the image performance in regards to motion accuracy and clarity.
Movies are only recorded and displayed in 24 fps which is the global specific setting for the movie and film industry but our eyes are able to see up to 60-100, so what the LCD manufacturers have done is created a type of engine that generates prediction frames between real frames.
What this does is gives the picture in movies a more clear and smooth image, 120hz inserts 1 frames with every real frame (24 increased to 48) and 240hz adds 2 frames with every real frame (24 increased to 96).
When you ask 120hz vs 240hz it really comes down to how well the engine has been done and how well the prediction frames are generated (also known as interpolation), 120hz could look better than 240hz but 240hz tends to have a lower error rate but you should always let your eyes decide as different companies will have a different effect.

With plasmas its a totally different road, 600hz is the standard spec with current plasma's today but really this is called the sub field drive and what this does is repeats every image 10 times (60hz x 10 = 600), the effect from this gives the plasma a super fast response time of 0.001ms which removes any ghosting that results from high response time and this technology can only be achieved with plasma's.
So with the response time at instant this gives the best clarity with every frame but still not perfect, companies like Panasonic have its own interpolation software called intelligent frame creation which is essentially 120hz adding 1 predicted frame with every real frame.
Because the response time is already so good the interpolation engine does not need to be as advanced as LCD does and produces a brilliant sharp and clear picture which is hard to beat by any technology.

Hope this clears things up :)

ic, Thanks for a very informative read :up:

Nanometer
11-26-2010, 01:30 PM
good explanation DDan.

dinos22
11-26-2010, 02:10 PM
that makes sense thanks for that info Dan :)

me buys plasma next time LOL

[DANGERDAN]
11-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks :) it took me full 3 write ups to get it right haha :up:

RADCOM
11-26-2010, 02:54 PM
A very good and accurate explanation indeed Dangerdan!! I have a Kuro plasma and still love it's accuracy. My engineering colleagues in the BBC are all quite impresed with the G10 range:) All the ex Pioneer engineers now work for Panasonic.

[DANGERDAN]
11-26-2010, 04:52 PM
I am jealous that you have a Kuro nothing quite compares to those legendary tv's, i have the vt20/25 which was made by some of the people who worked on the kuro technology. But i am quite excited to see the 0 LED technology come soon as it will most likely be the end for perfection.

Cpl Ledanek
11-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm the fence myself myself.

My situation is that we are in dire need to replace a 10 yr old Mitsubishi projection tv, with serious conversion problem.

Why I'm putting up with it? We'll my situation is with a MIL that watches only two channels, 8hrs a day, and both channels have station ID's at the top right corner already burnt in on the screen.

I can't kick the obvious problem without losing the house.:shakes:

Another variable to this, we have 6 windows that has no light filtering (curtains), and the aluminum blinds only leave a nagging slit-reflection on the TV screen.

BestBuy says our two selection Samsung LED TV (650 and 7000 series) gets rid of the reflection problem.
Well for $2000, I don't want to find out the hard way.:rolleyes:

I read that Plasma are the way to go but, I read, bright rooms are Plasma's Achille's heels.

Is this true?

[DANGERDAN]
11-27-2010, 11:06 PM
You do need a dark room to get the full benefits of plasma technology so maybe going with LED will be best for you, i have experienced with samsung 7000 series 8000 series and 9000 series. 7000 are good with light rooms bright color but it only didn't work for me is because of the ghosting and bad frame cadence with my country's digital tv.

You have to weigh the negatives and positives for your situation, Ghosting vs color density loss due to bright room.

Cpl Ledanek
11-27-2010, 11:14 PM
;4645089']You do need a dark room to get the full benefits of plasma technology so maybe going with LED will be best for you, i have experienced with samsung 7000 series 8000 series and 9000 series. 7000 are good with light rooms bright color but it only didn't work for me is because of the ghosting and bad frame cadence with my country's digital tv.

You have to weigh the negatives and positives for your situation, Ghosting vs color density loss due to bright room.

thank you DangerDan

I should also include, I don't have HD channels due to Basic DirectTV.
I don't watch Sports TV but will watch action flicks on DVD or BLU-Ray.

[DANGERDAN]
11-27-2010, 11:40 PM
IMO Plasmas don't look as good with SD content then they do with LED LCD, it might be a good idea to go and take a look in some stores and compare some tv's, the shops are already so bright so you have the scenario testing already set. The only plasma i would recommend for bright rooms would be the (panasonic) vt20/25 it has a anti reflective sheet on the screen to prevent light interference for daytime viewing, the vt20/25 are a little expensive compared to the LED 7000 so you will have to weigh those options.

Nanometer
11-28-2010, 12:00 AM
One of my favorite mags and though they can be biased, their short article on flat screens is pretty accurate and still relevant with today's technology.

http://www.hometheater.com/advicefromtheexperts/407plasmavlcd/

koc
12-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Also plasma have amazing deep black level
I remember playing F.E.A.R with my old Sharp LCD Full HD TV , i can see in the dark corners and i never use the torch in game , but with my new Plasma TV , these corners become totally dark (very black) and i always use the torch to pass :)

Donnie27
12-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Also plasma have amazing deep black level
I remember playing F.E.A.R with my old Sharp LCD Full HD TV , i can see in the dark corners and i never use the torch in game , but with my new Plasma TV , these corners become totally dark (very black) and i always use the torch to pass :)

QFT! I own a LCD but a big fan of Plasma. I got mine months before the huge drop in Plasma Prices.:(

Nice work on info Dan!

http://www.thebestplasmatv.com/

On another note my next will be Plasma.

One shop has this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00392147E/ref=dp_olp_new_map?ie=UTF8&condition=new)one and I liked it as well as some of the more expensive models! I thought some of the other models that looked slightly better wasn't worth twice the price. More power to those who think they are though.

Rattle
12-10-2010, 11:10 AM
I looked at so many tv's LED and PLASMA, regular LCD's cant compare to a decent plasma and LED's are gimmicky and too expensive, I ended up with a 55" g20 panny and WE LOVE IT.

Nanometer
12-10-2010, 04:56 PM
You mean 54, =-p