PDA

View Full Version : Algae in loop? I guess silver didnt work this time...

Elpy
11-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Heya,

So I finally took apart my loop yesterday so I could finally add rest of my stuff to it and finish the whole PC... And I was a bit sad to see what had happened inside it :(. Sides of the reservoir were slimy and there was a bit of slimy stuff inside the CPU block. And tubing looks like this:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6610/14909417217273273951364.jpg. The water was pretty white when I drained it out.

So the loop consists of EK SUpreme HF and EK HD5870 block, EK multioption reservoir, bitspower comp fittings, masterkleer tubing, Thermochill PA120.3 rad and a D5 with Ek top.

And I had a killcoil from chilledpc.co.uk there located in the outlet of the reservoir. Coolant was just normal distilled water.

Now unfortunately I dont really have the time to start cleaning these up that well because I need to have the PC up and running by tomorrow.. So I just cleaned them up in hot tap water, changed tubing and flushed radiator in hot tap water as well. And today before building the loop again I'll flush them all in distilled water once. However I have this feeling that the algae is still gonna start growing there slowly so do you think it would help if I put some PTNuke or mayhems biocide there?

When I originally built this loop about 6months ago, I had flushed the rad pretty well with distilled water but hadnt really done anything for the fittings/blocks.

Also what do you think would be the best way to clean radiator from this? I suppose ketchup would work okay for blocks and fittings... But rad is quite challenging.

woffen
11-22-2010, 12:44 AM
I have so much algae in one of my loops it's almost funny. The loop consists of:

TC 120.3 - DDC 3.2 - XSPC Dual Bay Dual DDC res - Killcoil from ChilledPC - Swiftech XT.

No idea why it's started growing but I guess I'm in for a huge cleaning.. The other loop sharing the same res (different chamber) is totally clear. Coolant in both loops is de-ionized water.

For cleaning the radiator I've used vinegar. Seems to get the most of the :banana::banana::banana::banana: out of there. Maybe not all though as this is the second time this loop get's growth. Only things changed are the CPU block and res.

Ogge_swe
11-22-2010, 12:57 AM
that is not alage, its flux. tc has it in their rads. its from the solder joints. tc dosent clean their radiators. you will have to flush it before use

Waterlogged
11-22-2010, 01:26 AM
that is not alage, its flux. tc has it in their rads. its from the solder joints. tc dosent clean their radiators. you will have to flush it before use

+1. . .could also be plasticizer residue, but most likely rad crud.

Elpy
11-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Hmm okay. If I remember right I flushed the rad twice with boiled tap water and then once with normal distilled water. And shaked it also. But I didnt really see any flux come out and though it was weird... So I guess that makes sense.

I have one PA120.2 rad that Im gonna put in the loop now. Any idea what would be the best way to get rid of the flux in it?

voigts
11-22-2010, 06:56 AM
The white film looks like plasticizer to me. Some tubing is better than others in this regard.

Hot soapy water should do the trick to clean out the rad well enough. If I have a rad that is on the cruddy side, I'll fill it with DOW Scrubbing Bubbles and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then do the hot soapy water shake with plenty of rinsing. I'm not sure that the equivalent of Scrubbing Bubbles is over your way, but I'm sure there is something like it.

scutzi128
11-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Thats good to hear its not algae as I plan to use distilled + a killcoil in my loop.

mingbogo
11-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Do we have any scientific proof that silver can prevent algae from growing in the water?

Church
11-22-2010, 10:54 AM
mingbogo: it's known since middle ages :), i'm sure articles like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver#Medical) could be easily found via google.

NaeKuh
11-22-2010, 12:46 PM

+1.

Algae is more hairy, unless u got cyanobacter, which is more reddish then anything.

Do we have any scientific proof that silver can prevent algae from growing in the water?

Ummmmm dates back from ancient china 2000BC.

:P

woffen
11-22-2010, 01:10 PM
If it really is flux in my case I'm never buying a TC rad again. This is the second loop this radiator is in and it's been cleaned with vinegar many times. Guess I need to tear it all down and start the cleaning once more.

Sideroxylon
11-22-2010, 01:53 PM
That looks like plasticizer to me also.

TC rads are notorious for flux. It can be a huge pain in the ass to clean them up. But it's hard to compete with their build quality and performance. The new revision of their rads are supposed to be much more user friendly.

Keep in mind that silver works great but it takes a while for the silver ions to build up to toxic levels. I usually use some type of biocide to keep me safe till that happens.

Stewie007
11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
If it really is flux in my case I'm never buying a TC rad again. This is the second loop this radiator is in and it's been cleaned with vinegar many times. Guess I need to tear it all down and start the cleaning once more.

I've always heard about how great TC radiators were. Does TC do the manufacturing? It smells like typical corner cutting to me. I've never had a problem with flux in radiators. That's a quality control blunder.

asura
11-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Ummmmm dates back from ancient china 2000BC.
:P

Hate to seem like a smart-Alec, but it goes back even further than that, there's evidence that Egyptians were using it in 3000(ish) BC, at which point it was more valuable than gold within Egypt, later it devalued and gold retained the top spot. It almost defiantly goes back even further than that, as silver wasn't native to Egypt and had to be imported, one can safely assume that the Egyptians didn't discover it's antimicrobial properties but were taught about it by the traders that sold it to them.. but I don't know who those traders where and that's the earliest example I know of...

mingbogo
11-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Cool thanks folks for the insight!

zer0kewl
11-22-2010, 09:12 PM
always clean and flush your radiator first on first time usage.

i remember when i put my system together then had flow issues and took apart block my whole apogee XT block destroyed by a huge clunk off big black goo.
now if learned 2 things.
never use uv dye's
and clean radiator first on first time usage.

Elpy
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
always clean and flush your radiator first on first time usage.
I mentioned that I did that but nothing came out. Did the same yesterday with my PA120.2 and didnt really get anything out of there...

@voigts will try the soapy water next time. I wish I had more time for this but just had to get it back together asap :D

The tubing was just basic masterkleer so I guess it could be plasticizer. Not sure. I would buy primochill but I havent found 7/16" ID 5/8" OD primochill anywhere in EU. Only in USA :/... If anyone knows where you could find some in EU, please tell me :).. I've found only other sizes than this.

usz
11-23-2010, 04:12 AM
I am having exactly same issue with my 2 loops, each containing 120.4. I was advised before that the problem is related to flux, but even after flushing rads 10 times each with boiling water and shaking them pretty hard, the problem still reappears :shrug:

NaeKuh
11-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Hate to seem like a smart-Alec, but it goes back even further than that, there's evidence that Egyptians were using it in 3000(ish) BC,

chinese history actually documents silver being used to test food for its state.

They would dip spoons and chopsticks in to see if it would tarnish to show a presence of bacteria.

I dont know if the egyptians did this.

Never went too deep into egyptian history minus its all cursed.

@voigts will try the soapy water next time. I wish I had more time for this but just had to get it back together asap :D

We usually dont recomend soap because it leaves film.
Also soap can flake, and part of what u can see could be from a soap film left over in coolant.

rad flush... or just connect it to a tube, and let about 3 gallons of tap water run though it.

kinghong1970
11-23-2010, 11:01 AM
iirc, so did the korean royalties and the social elites... i guess they were big on poisoning each other to get to the throne... lol?

asura
11-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Poison eh, scary biscuits! If memory serves, this was several years ago that I read about it, the Egyptians were far more innocent in their use of silver, silver was found in food stuffs, and it's believed it was used to aid in the preserving of food, not sure of the details, whether it was filings, or silver nitrate, or what, but that's my general recollection.

Regardless of details, it is a fascinating metal.

NaeKuh
11-23-2010, 12:17 PM
now if someone will make a water block out of unobtainium...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

Trice
11-23-2010, 09:21 PM
IF you look at the stuff coming out, it will have a blue tint at first, but if you look CAREFULLY you will see little metal reflections when you rinse it. I hate my TCs for that, but it doesnt really do anything other than look yucky.

Elpy
11-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah I noticed the metallic reflections when I just filled it up and looked at the thread. I flushed it directly from tap with hot water (the water from my tap is freaking hot) for a little while and then just flushed once with distilled once. Will see if it helped at all.. If not, just gotta clean it up after a while.

But thanks for the help. Relieve to atleast know it's not algae. I can live with the flux but certaintly makes me a bit disappointed in TC :P

Trice
11-23-2010, 10:42 PM
I had the 120.2 Im selling under the sink for 10 minutes and it still has some stuff in there. You really need to shake the hell out of them.

Aphex_Tom_9
11-23-2010, 11:26 PM
I am having exactly same issue with my 2 loops, each containing 120.4. I was advised before that the problem is related to flux, but even after flushing rads 10 times each with boiling water and shaking them pretty hard, the problem still reappears :shrug:

what brand of tubing are you using?

usz
11-24-2010, 02:30 AM
what brand of tubing are you using?
At the moment I use Tygon R-3603 and before I used clear DD-TFC tubing.

MrToad
11-24-2010, 05:44 AM
+1 for plasticizer leech on the OP's picture...

I had the same issue with Tygon R-3603, which is one of the reasons I stopped using it altogether... The plasticizer not only precipitated on the walls of the tubing, but also on barbs, blocks, radiator walls... It was an utter mess.

And the time I slipped two drops too many of Petra's nuke in the coolant it really went beyond ridiculous... After a month it looked like I was pumping reformed milk through the loop...

Wolf132
11-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Only way to clean thermochill radiators is to hook the pump/radiator and run hot water threw it for like 2 days and change the water a couple of times. Once you do it, you are golden though. :)

NaeKuh
11-24-2010, 11:43 AM
that tubing looks like primochil

Now unless they completely changed the production processes, its plastcizer free.
Trust me, i still have around 50 foot of primo tubing in storage.

Elpy
11-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Nah it's not primochill. It's masterkleer. I would had bought primochill but cant find the right size in EU... :/. I need 7/16" ID 5/8" OD but when I last checked, only saw that sized primochill in US. And not sure if I wanna order from there if the customs would cause hassle.. Never ordered outside EU.

edit: or actually looks like aquatuning might have it.. Their description is messed up though because it says that it's 16/13mm and then it says that 7/16" ID.. However 7/16" is 11mm and not 13.. Sent them a message to check which one it actually is.

millertime359
11-24-2010, 01:30 PM
edit: or actually looks like aquatuning might have it.. Their description is messed up though because it says that it's 16/13mm and then it says that 7/16" ID.. However 7/16" is 11mm and not 13.. Sent them a message to check which one it actually is.

After seeing this thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261499) a few weeks ago, I suggest you make 100% certain what size tube that is before ordering. The OP hasn't replied again, but I hate to see another thread like that.

NaeKuh
11-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Nah it's not primochill. It's masterkleer. I would had bought primochill but cant find the right size in EU... :/. I need 7/16" ID 5/8" OD but when I last checked, only saw that sized primochill in US.

if its masterkleer 100% sure its platicizer then.

brammers
11-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Looks exactly like the flux from my two PA120.3s - and I RINSED them before I installed them, 60C hot tap flush, everything!

Had to scrub the tubing and res after a couple of months (Tygon 3603) to get rid of the white coating. It took that long to "rinse" the rads out fully.

Once you clean or replace the tubing and get it out of everywhere else, your loop will be clear for long periods of time.

My loop is still crystal clear and I haven't changed the water in 2 years...

Distilled, a little G11 for a blue tint and some PT Nuke. No problems.

J

Elpy
11-24-2010, 10:43 PM
After seeing this thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261499) a few weeks ago, I suggest you make 100% certain what size tube that is before ordering. The OP hasn't replied again, but I hate to see another thread like that.
Yes saw that thread. Havent had problems with other tubing with aquatuning earlier. I think it's just a mistake they have with the description and therefore asked to check which size is correct.

if its masterkleer 100% sure its platicizer then.HMm ok.. I'm actually kind of leaning towards flux now. Especially since the water was all white when I took it out. Oh well, maybe it's both. Are there any other plasticizer free tubing than primochill? In case I cant find primochill from here.