PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Radiator??

hawk999
11-11-2010, 02:36 AM
I will buy a XSPC Rasa 750 Dual Kit should I clean the Rad and the Cpu Block?

give me tips how to clean it

tnx in advance

shazza
11-11-2010, 03:13 AM
I'd recommend cleaning the rad with hot water - you can rinse it with hot tap water, followed by a final rinsing with distilled water. Repeat until all you see is clear water coming out of the rad - probably won't take long.

You can rinse the block with distilled water as well. I would then hook everything up for external leak testing outside your case - this will further ensure everything is clean.

Also, check out the info in the guide in the sticky section (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54331) at the top of this page. Lots of good info in there, that applies to putting together a kit, since this is really just a set of components.

voigts
11-11-2010, 05:21 AM
ALWAYS make it a habit to crack open any new blocks and check/clean before installing as it is not unheard of for bits to get stuck in them on occasion from manufacturing. As for the rad, I use hot soapy dishwashing liquid water and shake it up good a few times before rinsing until clear. If I have a loop that has been in service for a while and it kind of yucked up for whatever reason, I'll squirt DOW scrubbing bubbles into just the rad, let it soak for about 5-10 min, then do the dishwashing liquid soapy hot water rinse thing. The scrubbing bubbles are great for getting out gunk in stuff you can't open. You just have to make sure you get it all out.

penguins
11-11-2010, 07:00 AM
New scrubbing bubbles ad: Even works on your Household Watercooling Radiators!

hawk999
11-11-2010, 03:25 PM
do i have to open the XSPC rasa blocK?

shazza
11-11-2010, 03:35 PM
hawk - there are people who always open a waterblock before using it. I will admit that I seldom open a CPU waterblock, but I do flush it with water, and also run leak testing outside the case, which flushes the water through the block.

So ... the answer is ... do what you feel comfortable with. If you're not comfortable opening the block, then just make sure you flush it before use, and also leak test before installing on your motherboard.

hawk999
11-11-2010, 05:42 PM
@shazza

ah ok... this is my first water build :)

penguins
11-11-2010, 05:48 PM
but eventually you'll have to open it anyway. and shouldn't you know what it should look like for reference? it's good practice : 0 it isn't like you'll blow it up or anything! it might take patience, but time is the only thing you have to lose.

shazza
11-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying "not" to open up a water block. I'm just admitting that I don't always do it. While I'm more than comfortable tearing them down and putting them back together now - I was scared to death on my first build and there was probably more risk of messing it up had I taken it apart. Just my experience :p: If you run water through one with a pump for 8-24 hours, there's a high probability you will have removed any stray particles loose in the block. If no leaks, you can also be reasonably sure the o-ring or whatever is sealing it is in place.

hawk999
11-11-2010, 07:37 PM
hmmm maybe if the kit will i arrive i will not open it but tear it piece by piece ^^...

tnx for the tips guys

Captain_Harlock
11-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Its been awhile now, but sometimes when a new block comes on to the market we find "problems" with them. And opening them to clean them is about the only option. The original Fusion (V1) is a prime example of needing to open up your block to do a spot check before you do anything. For some reason, they used two O-Rings in them that had lots of flashing on them. The flashing would come off and gum up the loop after a while. Caused all kinds of grief for lots of people. You had to take them apart and use an exacto or razor blade to clean off the flashing, then you could use it. The odd part was they kept making the V1 for its entire production run with those bad O-Rings. Wasnt until the V2 that they finaly stopped doing that. Anyway, its not that common to deal with now, so if you raelly dont want to mod your Rasa (I dont even know if there is a mod for it yet), then you should be good to go right out of the box. There hasnt been any complaints of junk in the loop from the Rasa and its been out a while now. But feel free to open it, as its a very simple little device and you would ahve to go out of your way to mess it up. Block, ring, body, and screws are pretty much all there is to it. I open all my blocks and give a good copper cleaning with some ketchup for five to ten minutes, as it helps to really get the residue off from the cooling stuff they use in cutting/milling the block. Its also a chance for me to double check the rings to make sure they arent twisted and leak prone before I hoop it up. But just just something I feel the need to do for me. I've yet to find any blocks that need me to open them, but I felt better after I did. OCD I guess, lol.

Church
11-12-2010, 04:24 AM
About the only drawback i see - in some waterblocks with more complex o-ring shape it might be PITA to put it back and keep in place for reassembling.

penguins
11-12-2010, 08:13 AM
@shazza, i know! exactly how i am now. and was. but if someone told me that it wouldn't blow up ( i didn't exclude the chance ) you can't possibly hurt anything as long as you don't try to! i woulda opened up my first koolance block just to do it!