PDA

View Full Version : Phobya G-Changer v1.1 + 1.2 ( Whats the diff )

Scubar
11-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Could someone please tell me what the difference is between these two versions as i cant see to find anywhere that lists them ?

Is the v1.1 just as good as 1.2 or is there an improvement.

Reason being is that i can get the 1.1 model right away for my build but 1.2 doesnt seem to have a ETA on when it will be in stock anywhere.

Church
11-10-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm guessing that phobya just like magicool is one of aquatuning.de sub-brands. Ask their rep here @XS (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/member.php?u=109999) via PM or email someone at their listed contact addresses, maybe they'll tell the diff.

Waterlogged
11-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Edit: Judging by the descriptions, the 1.1 has riveted sides (fan mounts) while the 1.2 is likely soldered/brazed (like most other rads).

I'm guessing that phobya just like magicool is one of aquatuning.de sub-brands. Ask their rep here @XS (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/member.php?u=109999) via PM or email someone at their listed contact addresses, maybe they'll tell the diff.

Is Magicool one of AT's "house" brands? If there's proof, can you please link?

I asked about Phobya's relationship with AT here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258633) and got answers that didn't exactly inspire a feeling of open and honest communications. :shakes:

millertime359
11-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I asked about Phobya's relationship with AT here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258633) and got answers that didn't exactly inspire a feeling of open and honest communications. :shakes:

I question that too as it seems anywhere u see AT banner, Phobya's is not far behind.

I really do wish that AT would actually properly address all these concerns instead of ignoring them or stepping around the issue. :yepp:

Scubar
11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Edit: Judging by the descriptions, the 1.1 has riveted sides (fan mounts) while the 1.2 is likely soldered/brazed (like most other rads).

Is Magicool one of AT's "house" brands? If there's proof, can you please link?

Excuse the ignorance but whats the difference between riveted sides and soldered/brazed ?

does it affect the design in anyway like thermal conductivity ?

Aquatuning
11-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Hey,

Rad versions are as follows:

v1.0 - first rad standard design silver sides
v1.1 - Standard design black sides
v1.2 - Optimised for low speed fans

Church
11-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Aquatuning: Optimisation = probably lower FPI? Can you post what FPI was for v1.[0,1] vs v1.2?
Scubar: if guess above is true, i'd probably try to get hold of v1.2.

Aquatuning
11-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeh ill get the exact details for you in the morning nps

Scubar
11-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Id also be interested in knowing the difference in FPI between the revisions as i do plan on keeping the fans at around 800-1000rpm.

coolmiester
11-11-2010, 02:02 AM
v1.1 - 11 FPI
v1.2 - 9 FPI

bentleya
11-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Have you looked at other rads? You can get a good deal on the PA120.3 in the uk. http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/ThermoChill-PA1203-360-Radiator-15mm_769.html.

Your from England so it's worth buying things made in England, keeps peopling in jobs ETC.

Scubar
11-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Ive decided to grab the Phobyas because they perform very close to the XSPC RX series in the rad testing that was done and they have dual inlet/outlets and the price of them is great.

Creekin
11-11-2010, 01:59 PM
dual inlet/outlets is a great feature.
any thoughts on why more rads don't have it?

bentleya
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I Can think of a few reasons, Firstly Cost, and most importantly the more complex the design, I.E. adding more inlets/outlets brings the chance of more leaks. What i'm trying to say is the least chance of leak points the better it is.

Church
11-11-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm guessing that because 95% builds suffice with standart inlet placement, and that 2nd set of them adds (including closing caps) ~ 10-15$ to price. It's simplier to satisfy needs of 95% with 10% cheaper products then could have been. This hobby already is expensive as it is, so in general cutting costs down imho is good thing.

Creekin
11-11-2010, 02:31 PM
nah i don't buy that,
the cost is negligible.
companies like HWL make quality kit and have multiple slightly diff models, I don't see why they couldn't add ports as a feature for more expensive models.
If phobya can do it anyone can! phobya is the cheapest nastiest wc gear i have ever seen!

coolmiester
11-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I Can think of a few reasons, Firstly Cost, and most importantly the more complex the design, I.E. adding more inlets/outlets brings the chance of more leaks. What i'm trying to say is the least chance of leak points the better it is.

Are you serious on this........my rads are going to leak because they got a couple of extra ports so you recommend i buy ones that don’t have this feature???

Scubar
11-11-2010, 03:12 PM
nah i don't buy that,
the cost is negligible.
companies like HWL make quality kit and have multiple slightly diff models, I don't see why they couldn't add ports as a feature for more expensive models.
If phobya can do it anyone can! phobya is the cheapest nastiest wc gear i have ever seen!

Funny that since the reviews i have seen show them to be of very high quality and the performance levels very close to that of the XSPC RX range of radiators which are currently the best available.

You only have to look here to see the results for themselves.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250927

Creekin
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
reviews are just the opinion of some guy who didn't pay for it.
I bought a bunch of phobya parts, mostly fittings, 45s sli extensions etc.
I was so put off by the poor quality that i replaced them all with BP fittings, which i now hope won't leak.
eg: the 1/2inch ID 45 with a 5mm ID! :lol:

I'm sure they are a decent BUDGET wc supplier, but IMHO, wc is not a budget sport.
like playing polo with donkeys

MagisD
11-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I love the multi ports on rads....would been soooo much easier to bleed/route. But they haven't come out into a brand i'd buy.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

Creekin
11-11-2010, 07:53 PM
+1 ^
that's all I'm saying :)
thanks for putting it so nicely your MagisD :D

Scubar
11-12-2010, 02:17 AM
reviews are just the opinion of some guy who didn't pay for it.
I bought a bunch of phobya parts, mostly fittings, 45s sli extensions etc.
I was so put off by the poor quality that i replaced them all with BP fittings, which i now hope won't leak.
eg: the 1/2inch ID 45 with a 5mm ID! :lol:

I'm sure they are a decent BUDGET wc supplier, but IMHO, wc is not a budget sport.
like playing polo with donkeys

Im buying radiators that are priced competatively against the likes of Thermochill and XSPC so its definitely not considered Budget. Especially not since the fans alone for the radiators cost in excess of £100.

I have no budget on my WC setup i merely choose the best suited parts that perform the best and have some other handy features.

I dont need to spend extra money on Not having the extra inlet/outlets and decouplers and instead replacing them with patchy paintwork or 1/4 bspp fittings and hours of flushing.

Id be interested in seeing what setup you have Creekin because by the sounds of it you must have spent a fortune buying the best and most expensive parts from all over the world.

Pics ?

Creekin
11-12-2010, 02:30 AM
link in sig :rolleyes:

EK blocks direct from Slovenia
AC parts direct from Germany
Lian Li X2000
mobo/cpu/gpus/ram from Hong Kong
so yeah expensive parts from all over the world
so?

i applaud phobya for having dual ports, all i asked is why dont other brands.
i dont believe cost or leak factor is an issue, im sure cost is a little but not to a premium brand like HWL who have multiple rad lines with only minor differences.

my opinion is phobya is a budget line,
not here for a pissing match :shrug:

Scubar
11-12-2010, 03:38 AM
Looking at the link i wouldnt really class all of those things as expensive top quality parts. Least of all the system its cooling.

Next time before coming into a thread trying to defame other peoples choices i would take a look at your own, especially since the HW Labs SR1 rads gets beaten by the Phobyas in performance with Low RPM fans ( The extact thing the SR1 is designed for )

PS. The only reason i can see people have something against Phobya is because Aqua tuning distribute them yet lots of other places in the UK distribute them also.

Church
11-12-2010, 04:18 AM
Creekin: if you account all manufactured/sold rads, then 10% savings can sum up to high number. +Higher price .. it's also higher relative to competitor products = lost sales for price savy customers, or you price it lower with smaller profit margin, also not exactly wonderful decision for business.
As for HWLabs rads .. imho all of them are very and very different. High FPI GTX rads, even higher FPI but slim GTS rads, quiet fan optimised SR1, middle FPI but also slim older BI Pro line .. they all are very different performance and optimisation wise .. and only Pro ones have some similar performing submodels with difference being only in inlet placement (X-Flow).

Creekin
11-12-2010, 06:03 AM
yeah see thats what i don't believe churchy, this is an enthusiast market, ppl who are into it seriously really don't care about price, usually performance OR looks (as in my case)

and will happily pay extra for features, IF they plan to use them, those that don't have other options.
your listing of all the diff types, is my point, the X flow for example, really just a diff port position option, and the SR1 just a low flow, why not an X flow SR1? or a dual port version.

i'm sure it wouldn't be cheap or a big seller, but it can't be too hard to manufacture.

@scubar
i never said my parts were "expensive top quality parts" YOU did!
but if you don't think they are, then you mustn't know too much about the subject...
so you are saying the aquaero and the nickel plated res are not EXPENSIVE top quality parts? :rofl: i have never seen a more expensive res, you show me one that looks as good and i'll buy it.

I never said the system was "expensive top quality parts" either, never mentioned it, its 2 yo btw, still doing it's job nicely, and perfect for a build like this, FOR FUN :rolleyes:

I don't care much about performance, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the ASXT pump, i care more about looks and features like monitoring. This rig will essentially be a glorified TV! :eek:
But I care most about QUALITY, which HWL, EK, AQ, ASUS, LIAN LI, BP, CORSAIR, TYGON, ENERMAX, ATI all have, and IM(not so)HO Phobya don't.

Also I am in Oz, so I don't really follow or care about the whole aquatuning drama. When i complained to my retailer about the quality of the parts i received, he told me that Phobya was his "BUDGET LINE" and the quality is relevant to the price.

I didnt come in here defaming anyone's choices, i have said since the beginning I LIKE the product, just not impressed with the quality of the parts i have personally bought from this same manufacturer.
that is my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions..?

(... edited by shazza)

shazza
11-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Let's keep the conversation civil and to the OP's point. No reason to go at each other over this question.

If you don't care for Phobya products, that's fine. But - I don't believe Scubar asked for an opinion on that, so this isn't the place to rehash any issues people might have with Phobya or AT.

@ Creekin - I deleted your joke, because it was only going to lead to more squabbling.

Creekin
11-12-2010, 07:54 AM
who could squabble over "why did the chicken cross the road?" :D
it's obvious that he was trying to avoid Chuck Norris!
:rofl:

bentleya
11-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Are you serious on this........my rads are going to leak because they got a couple of extra ports so you recommend i buy ones that don’t have this feature???

NO, thats not what i am saying. What i'm saying is the the more things you have which have a chance of a leak the worse the design is. I mean it has more chance to fail. Not saying it will fail it just has a more chance to fail then those with only one inlet and one outlet.

Take Bleed screws for Example, Thermochill had them, Feser had them but both companies changed they designs to not included them due to leaking or chance's of leaking. I'm also not saying that is the only reason there got rid of the bleed screws, thats just what both companies have told me.

Thats looking at it from a manufacturing prospective.

I would recommend you didn't buy a Phobya product, but you don't have to listen to what i say, it's up to the person buying the product. "You can take a Horse to water, but you Can't make it Drink" ;).

Creekin
11-12-2010, 10:37 AM
thats a good point bentleya,
regardless of quality, it's just adding points of "potential failure" :up:

what if..the whole Plenum was removable, so you could swap in diff port options?? :D
it would obviously take some major re-engineering, but totally do able

Scubar
11-12-2010, 11:44 AM
NO, thats not what i am saying. What i'm saying is the the more things you have which have a chance of a leak the worse the design is. I mean it has more chance to fail. Not saying it will fail it just has a more chance to fail then those with only one inlet and one outlet.

Take Bleed screws for Example, Thermochill had them, Feser had them but both companies changed they designs to not included them due to leaking or chance's of leaking. I'm also not saying that is the only reason there got rid of the bleed screws, thats just what both companies have told me.

Thats looking at it from a manufacturing prospective.

I would recommend you didn't buy a Phobya product, but you don't have to listen to what i say, it's up to the person buying the product. "You can take a Horse to water, but you Can't make it Drink" ;).

although it does add an extra potential point of failure when you already have CPU, GPU, GPU, NB, SB, MOS, Pump, Reservoir already as points of failure adding a couple more is a very low percentage of the whole overall rig. Its like making Acrylic reservoirs. Thats even more of a risk than adding two extra inlet/outlet ports onto a radiator as its shown with the countless posts ive seen about Acrylic reservoirs leaking and cracking.

Im certainly going to give the Phobyas a chance and not just write them off because AT may be a distributor and because one person thinks they are "cheap"

Ive had Thermochills and also have XSPCs both with problems relating to quality. The Thermochill has to be flush 1500 times before being used and has stupid 1/4 bspp threads when every other manufacturer uses G1/4". The XSPC has the whole patchy paintwork problem. Both reputable companies but both have had very public issues concerning the quality of them.

bentleya
11-12-2010, 12:29 PM
@Scubar - It was in response to Creekin post about rad manufactures, so my reply is based on the that, not on how many other points of failure.

dual inlet/outlets is a great feature.
any thoughts on why more rads don't have it?

Waterlogged
11-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Im certainly going to give the Phobyas a chance and not just write them off because AT may be a distributor and because one person thinks they are "cheap"

It's not just that they are a distributor, they more or less are Phobya. They influence and decide the product line (mostly lower cost ripoffs for larger profit margin), based likely depending on how well those other manufacturers products sell.

rheydt
11-14-2010, 04:18 AM
I'm guessing that phobya just like magicool is one of aquatuning.de sub-brands.

as far as i know, magicool is an independent brand, and aquatuning is one of magicool´s distributors :)

Aquatuning
11-16-2010, 08:23 AM

This made me LOL, thats like saying a car should only have 1 wheel so there is less chance of getting a flat. :rofl:

In reality we are trying to improve the product to make it easier to mount/use and as you will shortly see others have gone down the quad port route aswell.

Scubar it will be nice to know your findings on the rad.

As for the rest of you one of the trusted US review sites currently have our rads undergoing testing so there will be more results to help you with your judgements.

millertime359
11-16-2010, 08:45 AM
This made me LOL, thats like saying a car should only have 1 wheel so there is less chance of getting a flat. :rofl:

Wow, no not really considering a car does need 4 tires to be functional. A rad only needs 1 inlet and 1 outlet. A second inlet and outlet is just for convenience. It isn't needed to make the rad functional. :yepp: