PDA

View Full Version : CLeaning WC parts

M.Beier
11-07-2010, 10:39 AM
A bit stupid question, therefore I hope for a swift answer, as it is simple...

I am rebuilding my WC, and would like to clean it.... Just for the colour, additives and so on.... SO what is the trick...
Boiled water, or a bit of demineralised water?

Conumdrum
11-07-2010, 11:56 AM
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592874

That should get you in the right direction..........

M.Beier
11-07-2010, 12:18 PM
blowing clean?
Isnt that just drying it with air?
But normal water will be harmful towards Cu, my question is rather; Is boiled water good? Or do I need to use demineralized?

closetredneck
11-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Nice. I remember you posted those links before Conumdrum....

I tore down my build today and thought I was going to have to go searching for them, but alas here they are close at hand.

Conumdrum
11-07-2010, 11:30 PM
blowing clean?
Isnt that just drying it with air?
But normal water will be harmful towards Cu, my question is rather; Is boiled water good? Or do I need to use demineralized?

Yes, I have a small air comperssor, nice to have, not needed.

Yes, normal water you drink is fine on copper. Geeze, it's only going to be there for a while.:rofl:

Watercooling isn't laboratory stuff dude, it's a sink and common sense............ :shrug:

Boiled water is hot, it helps break up any junk in the rad. It also kills anything wanting to make fun in your loop. :up:

Common sense goes a long way.

ZX2Slow
11-07-2010, 11:39 PM
I dissemble my blocks and scrub out the plastic bits with dish soap and the copper parts I cover in ketchup and a sprinkle of salt (no really) to get them looking shiny and new.

modboxx
11-14-2010, 10:10 AM
For copper take a small pot and fill it with water one small bottle of white vinager and two table spoons of salt and just let it boil for a while, blocks will be like new afterwards.

Looker
11-14-2010, 09:46 PM
The other thing that works well is tabasco ;)

matari
11-14-2010, 10:41 PM
It is not a simple question; there is a lot more too it than most guides will get into. If you use premixed coolant or dyes I would flush your system out (several times) with distilled before removing the loop. Most premixed coolant leaves a nasty residue when dried. Then follow the the links above.

M.Beier
11-14-2010, 11:28 PM
I flushed it with 2-300ml demineralised, pump and one more component.
Im happy doing so, because turned out that the Feser push-on fittings had too small o-ring for my res top on DDC-1T. causing a leak....

All blocks have been cleaned of dirt by being seperated manually, however, cleaning fittings and radiators this worked well.....

One of my fittings has a crack from me tightening hard, however, dont think it is a fatal one.

matari
11-15-2010, 03:00 PM
I should have clarified what I meant by ‘flush.’ After draining your loop of coolant, I would fill it up with distilled or deionized water and run the pump for an hour or so. Repeat that until the water is mostly clear of coolant.
I do not recommend taking apart your GPU and MB blocks; they can be a pain in the ass to get back together.
To clean my CPU block, I just use tap water (from sink with low pressure) and toothbrush. Then rinse I rinse with distilled or deionized water. If you have oxidation in your CPU block, ketchup seems to clean it well.
For my radiator, I use the boil method and flush with tap water (from sink with low pressure).
If you are only going to clean your equipment 1-2 times per year, just toss your tubing in the garbage and use new.
I would not use a cracked fitting. At the most, it will cost 20 USD to buy a new one. Use cleaning chemicals at your own risk, and if you do make sure you rinse your equipment well.