PDA

View Full Version : Brand new MCP 655 start/stop issue

nightwoodwolf
11-06-2010, 03:04 AM
I just connected my loop for leak test and one if the pumps making engine noise ( more like vibrating ) start n stop every 5 seconds I disconnected it from the psu n the other pump is working great n very silent with speed 5, what would be the issue ?
Cheers

Church
11-06-2010, 03:58 AM
Some debris got in pump's impeller? Also maybe it's worth to dissassemble .. no signs of burnt pcb? And pump is connected to same loop and right, not opposite, direction? :)
If nothing helps, time to RMA probably.

nightwoodwolf
11-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Some debris got in pump's impeller? Also maybe it's worth to dissassemble .. no signs of burnt pcb? And pump is connected to same loop and right, not opposite, direction? :)
If nothing helps, time to RMA probably.

I was afraid to hear that "RMA, I couldn't wait till I get every thing assembled n now I'm doing leak test, been without a pc since 3 weeks or a bit more and now a brand new faulty pump:(

But If I open it wouldn't void the warranty ?

the_dope_chaud
11-06-2010, 04:33 AM
not on this pump. you wont get into the motor, just the impeller.

make sure the impeller housing is smooth, the ceramic ball at the tip is nice and round, and make sure the impeller is ok, complete and free of debris.

nightwoodwolf
11-06-2010, 05:04 AM
not on this pump. you wont get into the motor, just the impeller.

make sure the impeller housing is smooth, the ceramic ball at the tip is nice and round, and make sure the impeller is ok, complete and free of debris.

Man thx for explination n the image, I'll give it try after I get the water out of the loop .. Cheers

nightwoodwolf
11-06-2010, 06:42 AM
That was easier than I expected, however problem not solved and it is not the pump for sure,I investigated the pump (actuly both) and I connected the pump alone to the psu and it's working great, once, I mount it to the ek top you will hear the impeller hitting the ek top, now I'm pretty sure I screwed the base of the ek top properly, once I hold the ek top in vertical way it works fine, once I wiggle the top a hair then the issue is there again, not sure how to deal with this situation yet but I think something with the ek top creating the problem, cause both pumps works fine without the top

Church
11-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Ask Eddy_EK via PM for possible hints/help. He is very helpful fellow and one of main reasons why EK is so highly looked on :). Hmm, maybe some fater O-ring might help to distance pump&impeller from top? Dunno.

PiLsY
11-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Swap the top over from the other pump - that way youll know if its the pump or top. If its the top rma it :).

nightwoodwolf
11-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Swap the top over from the other pump - that way youll know if its the pump or top. If its the top rma it :).

i tried that, both pumps are fine, i even ran them without the top again and they are operating amazingly fast and silent, again once i mount them to the top one pump gonna make the noise ( doesn't matter which pump but whatever pump that is mounted close to the Out fittings hole is going to create the issues ) i just submitted an RMA ticket to EK explaining the problem, lets see what happens, thanks for suggestions and help everyone

p.s. i am so tempted to run the loop with one pump till i solve the problem cause i need to do some work, problem is i am a bit anxious running this big loop with one pump thinking it might be too much effort on single pump, this is the design of the loop and water blocks used if it matters.

Res --> MCP 655 Pump --> Black Ice Sr1-360 --> EK Supreme HF --> Black Ice Sr1-560 --> Koolance vid-nx480 GPU Block 1 --> koolance vid-nx480 GPU Block 2 --> Res

i am using 3/8' (1/2" OD) tubing

ScottALot
11-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Is the cap on the reservoir off?

nightwoodwolf
11-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Is the cap on the reservoir off?

no it is there. why ?

ScottALot
11-06-2010, 07:48 PM
try running it with it off.

EDIT: or did I misunderstand something and the pump doesn't function at all?

nightwoodwolf
11-06-2010, 08:02 PM
try running it with it off.

EDIT: or did I misunderstand something and the pump doesn't function at all?

both pumps functioning alright , but while i was testing i didn't close the fill port (inlet ) in the res cap, cause i filled and drained the loop few times ( HATE draining:down: ) after opening the the ek top and then the pumps i was thinking to close it once i finish, and oh well , i am not there yet

ScottALot
11-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Oh durp! I didn't see that you resolved the problem!

nightwoodwolf
11-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Oh durp! I didn't see that you resolved the problem!

no worries Scott, thanks anyway !! :up:

MrBean
11-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Hello Mate, I've the same issues with one EK top and my other 655 - ran fine for a short period, i.e. minutes, and then started with the noise, and pump stopped. Once I mount other tops, it's all well again.

I will look further into this, and get back to you!

nightwoodwolf
11-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Hello Mate, I've the same issues with one EK top and my other 655 - ran fine for a short period, i.e. minutes, and then started with the noise, and pump stopped. Once I mount other tops, it's all well again.

I will look further into this, and get back to you!

hmmmm interesting !! maybe i should look for other tops now !! it gotta be something with EK top for sure, thanks for sharing

Small update : i assembled the Pump again with its original part, ran the pump for few seconds, then stopped it. and it was silent you can almost hear nothing unless you hold it close to your ear, same with other pump, i guess it is very clear the issue is the EK Top

nightwoodwolf
11-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Guess what !! Swiftech don’t want to RMA the pump cause they think by mounting it to the after market top t his will void the warranty, nice, so if you buy a new products and it is faulty then they wont replace it cause you were investigating your own item, go buy a 3rd pump .. i cant believe this:mad:

Creekin
11-08-2010, 05:28 PM
i thought you said the pumps were both fine and it was the top that was faulty?
i can see their point, a 3rd party top could damage the pump, but it is a pretty sucky attitude, least they could do is look at it and send it back if they think you broke it.

nightwoodwolf
11-08-2010, 05:42 PM
i am sick of the situation and i have everything on my table and some on the ground starting from new water cooling parts to computer parts and none of ek or swiftech wanna comment about similar situation, now as i said when i put the pump in its original housing it seems to make some sound once you try to mount it in a different direction, the top is f**ked up as well, i spent alot of money and i believe either both or 1 faulty product is not doing great, you should hear the attitude i am getting from EK, i am surprised a big company talk to people very low like that, so frustrating really.

like it is easy for individuals to go buy another top with $US95 or new pump with $US 100+ and the cant step in and help their own customers, instead they give you attitude while you are asking nicely, how professional is that.

Creekin
11-08-2010, 05:53 PM
never dealt with swiftech, but dealt direct with EK many times,
2nd best customer service in the biz, next to Aquacomputer.

EK Eddy and AC Shoggy should both be sainted, both have gone above and beyond for me personally and I was a new customer with a single order.

Can't help but think maybe your frustration is getting the best of you, step back, take a deep breath, then throw it all out the window and go back to AIR!! :rofl:

u sound like your doing everything right, go back to the start and test it all one at a time.

nightwoodwolf
11-08-2010, 06:03 PM
never dealt with swiftech, but dealt direct with EK many times,
2nd best customer service in the biz, next to Aquacomputer.

EK Eddy and AC Shoggy should both be sainted, both have gone above and beyond for me personally and I was a new customer with a single order.

Can't help but think maybe your frustration is getting the best of you, step back, take a deep breath, then throw it all out the window and go back to AIR!! :rofl:

u sound like your doing everything right, go back to the start and test it all one at a time.
I'm not sure what you talon abou have you tried to talk to Gregor or whatever his name is, and do not assume anything and think you ppl here I addressed both ppl politly and I spent alot of money after saving for this so u have know idea what ur talking about, I've been without a computer for a month now not to mention my work is not getting done.

Sent from my iPhone

Creekin
11-08-2010, 06:22 PM
yeah ok Gregor is not as helpful as Eddy, i think thats more a cultural thing, don't forget their in rural Slovenia!

hey dont get mad at me! i'm just trying to help and like most ppl on a forum, interested to hear and share experiences...
first rule of pc building, have a 2nd working pc.

edit: i've just exchanged a faulty pump and faulty temp sensor in the last week. after spending over $2500 on parts!

I DO KNOW what i am talking about and i DO know your frustration.

I am having great difficulty understanding what you are talking about, not even sure if it is english.
but i will put that down to your iPhony keyboard and give you the benefit of the doubt

PLUS: u only mentioned the fault 3 days ago, so it has nothing to do with ur rig being down for a month :shrug:

nightwoodwolf
11-08-2010, 07:56 PM
yeah ok Gregor is not as helpful as Eddy, i think thats more a cultural thing, don't forget their in rural Slovenia!

hey dont get mad at me! i'm just trying to help and like most ppl on a forum, interested to hear and share experiences...
first rule of pc building, have a 2nd working pc.

edit: i've just exchanged a faulty pump and faulty temp sensor in the last week. after spending over $2500 on parts!

I DO KNOW what i am talking about and i DO know your frustration.

I am having great difficulty understanding what you are talking about, not even sure if it is english.
but i will put that down to your iPhony keyboard and give you the benefit of the doubt

PLUS: u only mentioned the fault 3 days ago, so it has nothing to do with ur rig being down for a month :shrug:

Yes i am frustrated and the last thing i need someone like you jump in the middle and make stupid comments saying “relax and breath” is that what you call help ? some guys here offered real solutions and seriously tried to help, and I’ve been waiting for these parts to arrive since a month including the days i was banging my head against the wall trying to make this stupid top and pumps to work cause i need to finish my freelance work from home so i won’t get in trouble for that, not that i need to justify for someone like you, and if you don’t like the way i talk or even this thread then do not offer your helpless childish comments and do not visit the thread, try to type and browse the forums from your phone and reply before making shallow stupid comments, why do you think i am posting here ?

And yes it is defiantly a cultural thing cause that who call himself gregor even gave me attitude before i even i buy their products so i didn’t judge the whole company cause of someone who have some issues, i am happy with the other EK parts i have it is just that damn top

Sent from my iPhone

nightwoodwolf
11-14-2010, 02:33 AM
finally i got my build up and running, and if you wonder how, allow me to share my experience with everyone, simply NO support what so ever from swiftech, i had to buy the 3rd pump which is now working with the other MCP655, and i have the faulty MCP655 sitting on my desk as a souvenir from swiftech, allow me to share my frustration and lose of money ( not only for the pump but for the delayed work }, what i got from this ? the pump is great and silent, but support ? NO ... brand new pump but no actual support

SPECIAL THANKS to Eddy from EK who was sending me emails instantly trying to come up with solutions and also offered a BRAND NEW TOP ( did you hear that swiftech ? ), i do believe part of business success is to have a happy customer and great support, and i am so happy with all EK parts ( quality, performance, and the sexy look ) for all the blocks and top, res .. etc etc, on top of that the great support

tet5uo
11-14-2010, 02:38 AM
Yeah I tried to RMA an MCP 655 and swiftech told me they don't do RMA to Canada... I was like O.o

nightwoodwolf
11-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Yeah I tried to RMA an MCP 655 and swiftech told me they don't do RMA to Canada... I was like O.o

i know the feeling ... and that was another thing in my case, i am from Australia .... that was an issue for them as well "NO RMA"

Creekin
11-14-2010, 03:19 AM
told ya Eddy was a legend! :up:

next time buy in oz and your retailer will do the RMA for you, and a GOOD retailer will swap your faulty part for a new good one and deal with the RMA himself. :)

nightwoodwolf
11-14-2010, 03:21 AM
told ya Eddy was a legend! :up:

next time buy in oz and your retailer will do the RMA for you, and a GOOD retailer will swap your faulty part for a new good one and deal with the RMA himself. :)

yes mate you are right, trust me i've learned my lesson and Eddy ROCKS :)

Creekin
11-14-2010, 03:35 AM

that's pretty lame! :down:
their in the USA right?
isn't Gabe on these forums?
PM'd him?

Are Laing any better?
I was thinking of getting a D5 to add to my loops ASXT, but the support from Aquacomputer has been so good, pre and post sale, that I'd rather deal with them, that way i am confident that if i have ANY problems, they will be solved quickly. :up::up::up:

mingbogo
11-14-2010, 08:44 AM
finally i got my build up and running, and if you wonder how, allow me to share my experience with everyone, simply NO support what so ever from swiftech, i had to buy the 3rd pump which is now working with the other MCP655, and i have the faulty MCP655 sitting on my desk as a souvenir from swiftech, allow me to share my frustration and lose of money ( not only for the pump but for the delayed work }, what i got from this ? the pump is great and silent, but support ? NO ... brand new pump but no actual support

SPECIAL THANKS to Eddy from EK who was sending me emails instantly trying to come up with solutions and also offered a BRAND NEW TOP ( did you hear that swiftech ? ), i do believe part of business success is to have a happy customer and great support, and i am so happy with all EK parts ( quality, performance, and the sexy look ) for all the blocks and top, res .. etc etc, on top of that the great support

Yeah that has been my experience as well. That is fine with me, as I will spend my money on EK stuff from now on whenever possible. I don't like to blash any particular supplier with just one or two undesired incidents but some of them are just too arragant to do business with to begin with. Good luck!

Waterlogged
11-14-2010, 08:53 AM
IIRC, neither Swiftech nor Laing will do an RMA on a pump that has had the top replaced, period. It doesn't matter what country you live in. The reason for this is that you are altering the pump from it's original design specs and making it do something which it has not been designed to do.

penguins
11-14-2010, 08:56 AM
I don't think it's fair to badmouth swiftech for Clearly having a no rma for pumps that have been tampered with warranty. They've never changed that warranty, it's an obvious one too. I know that hardly anyone ever uses the stock top, so it's almost a given that someone will buy the pump then buy a top and use it, but this is Watercooling!!! We're used to no or voided warranties!! buck up!( not money lol )

also Ek are not from a native english speaking country, so before you discount Gregor( whom i've had pleasant talkings with before ) as being rude, maybe he wasn't just using colourful language and is more straight to the point.

Eddy_EK
11-14-2010, 09:08 AM
I am sure Gregor wanted to help, but obviously saw no other way how to solve this, but sending back for our test.
And what was found the product was without any problem.

nightwoodwolf
11-14-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't think it's fair to badmouth swiftech for Clearly having a no rma for pumps that have been tampered with warranty. They've never changed that warranty, it's an obvious one too. I know that hardly anyone ever uses the stock top, so it's almost a given that someone will buy the pump them buy a top and use it, but this is Watercooling!!! We're used to no or voided warranties!! buck up!( not money lol )

also Ek are not from a native english speaking country, so before you discount Gregor( whom i've had pleasant talkings with before ) as being rude, maybe he wasn't just using colourful language and is more straight to the point.

Sorry to disappoint your WRONG analysing but I used a carful language with a professional approach so do not assume without knowing what happened , i didn’t say Gregor was rude but maybe short more than needed, yet i didn’t judge the whole company ( EK) cause of just one person , but when i messaged Eddy, who wasnt only continuing replying and answering my questions, but the guy tried endlessly offering solutions and at the end even without seeing the pump, he understood my needs and situation and offered a new top cause i told him i am gonna buy another pump and see what happens, he said if you still have problems i will send you a new top, thats why i was impressed by the great support from EK and i stated that loud and clear couple of times if you read the other posts

On the other hand, i didn’t say anything bad about the D5 Pump, read back, i said it is great pump, great performance, very silent even on speed 5, and i talked to Gabe yes he wasn’t short or anything, he wasn’t mean or anything as well , he made a comment about me living in Australia would be hard as well cause they don’t deal with RMAs out of the U.S , but his final solution was go back to performance-pcs, send it back to them and then they will send it back to us and we will look at it but we wont RMA “ I was thinking whats the point then !!!“ performance PCs replied with the following

“ While we can setup an RMA and send this to Swiftech to test, we do not cover any shipping in either direction for International RMA's. This is all mentioned in our store policies. This cost of 2 way shipping plus the fact that Swiftech may deny the RMA due to the pump top change may make this not worthwhile to send back. “

And let me tell you shipping in either direction from Sydney to PPC would cost almost as much as a new D5 pump actually using the slowest shipping method

So I mentioned that to Gabe then no reply !! ,,, I needed to finish my work so I bought a 3rd pump to solve my problem, and it is working now

I don’t appreciate some ppl here when they jump in the middle assuming that the customer is being rude without knowing the problem very well or how did we approach these companies and what kind of good or bad support we got

Finally I got a new pump from PC CASE GEAR here in Australia ( Thank you Creekin :up:) , they are located in Melbourne , I ordered the pump 12 pm and got it the other day 9 am, very happy with the services.