PDA

View Full Version : Question about paint

mrtom82
11-05-2010, 06:21 AM
I am about to paint the side panel on my haf x but I have a question about the paint I an going to use. I will be using primer first then two colors- black for most of the panel and blue for flames, then a clear coat. My black is rustoleum lacquer, my blue is rustoleum general purpose and the clear coat is rustoleum lacquer. I would like to know if the clear lacquer will cause a problem over the general purpose blue. I am not worried about the black and blue because I am not going to put the blue on top of the black. I read somewhere that you shouldn't mix different types of paint, but I can't seem to find a blue lacquer so I have to use the general purpose.

This is the paint I plan on using:
Blue:
http://www.homedepot.com/Blues/Paint-Spray-Paint/Rust-Oleum/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgfZapz5Z1asZ1z13o7a/R-100670432/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Clear:
http://www.homedepot.com/Clear/Paint-Spray-Paint/Rust-Oleum/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgfZapz5Z1asZ1z135k1/R-100194482/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

NFC
11-05-2010, 11:13 AM
So yes and no, to answer your question.

As always, see if your satisfied with the last coat--the paint you chose is quite durable.

The lacquer spray works different than other spray paint. You need to _drown_ your panel in it, or it will appear dull and wavy. This a challenge because you obviously do not want drips, so lay your panel flat so gravity is not your enemy.

Also, the lacquer spray is not the best clear coat--it works fantastic for some things, like covering bare steel for protection and shine, or for wood, but it is important to know it has a very slight yellow tint to it. It may look amazing on your blue panel, but be sure to test it on some scrap.

I hope this helps.

anachlores
11-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah, just be sure to buy extra paint, cause you DO NOT want to run out 1/2 way through a coat, and to test the final paint job b4 you commit to the real thing.

Good luck and post pics!