PDA

View Full Version : Any Coders here at all?

arhunter
11-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Looking for php and AS3 code cutters...

s1nykuL
11-05-2010, 07:57 AM
I code sort of...

I learned 'C' about 15 years ago, the course taught me how to program and develop software regardless of language. The thing is, I never found a position as a programmer.

I have written applications in 'C', VBA, VB.net.

I am currently getting to grips with PHP and Javascript, both seem simple enough. The challenge is how one utilises these languages. I am not yet an expert, if it wasn't for the Internet I would suck I great deal more than I actually do ;)

I will have a go at any language, although I find ASM intimidating.

[XC] Oj101
11-05-2010, 08:05 AM
<?php

print_r("Yes");

?>

Deadeye550
11-08-2010, 04:28 PM
yeah, just not php or AS3, I'm a C++, C# guy

desnudopenguino
11-18-2010, 09:02 AM
I do some php and as3. what's up? I also do some c#, javascript, ruby, shell scripting, and baby eating.

Sam_oslo
11-18-2010, 09:44 AM
I've started writing Visual Basic, and then Pascal in good old days, but have been writing C and C++ for a good while too.

I've been writing a lot of C# and F# lately, but I don't come to this forum for SW. I talk only about HW and OCing in this forum.

[XC] Oj101
11-18-2010, 01:22 PM
10 PRINT "Oh I also did BASIC"
20 GOTO 10

Rinse, repeat

matt220
11-20-2010, 05:03 PM
I programmed space invaders from scratch in C# last year for my grade 11 Comp Sci final. So I am fairly fluent in any C based language.

ScottALot
11-20-2010, 07:24 PM
I did "RealBASIC" which was a combination of drag-and-drop placement and actual coding... I consider it mostly real coding, but the fact that I didn't have to do the basic things, like button placement, in code makes it less credible.
I also did some basic HTML, but nothing past those dull raw text and pic websites.

NEOAethyr
11-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Asm
Batch
Html
CSS
JS

I'm only just learning js.
I'm finding it useful to combine it with batch, soon I'll be getting back to working with hybrid batch/js files to work in wscript.
Handy for hiding your background dos windows that stop services and closes it's self down after you get done using them and so on...

Asm I'm pretty good at.
I stopped messing around with it over a year ago though, had probs with win7 keeping my file handles open and I couldn't compile over or chnage batch files that helped compile my programs.
I somehow managed to fix that recently though with some of my newer service removal tweaks.

I was learning how to use lba, and how to parse fat filesystems but never finished it off.
The idea was to integrate my os into the bios and have it able to dump diff stuff's into a file while still in the bios type of env before it get's modified by any os.

My os uses self modifiying code to find it's own entry ptr location so it can run in shadow ram regardless of what you may have in the system (addy can change).
That and so it can run in dos, windows as well as rom with the same compiled binary.

Html I'm ok at, I offen have to look back at diff src's though for info's for css.

That's about it though.
Last night I came up with an idea to use js and asm to come up with a dos replacement for win7.
Not sure if it's 100% possible but apperently I can do the majority of it in js (not java, js).

Right now, since yesterday, I've been working on a context menu/open command that can open rar files that have multipart video's in them using an avisynth script as the index file.
And I've got it working, but I'm touching that up and hopefully that will be done tonight.
It'll be nice to beable to rar those darn youtube documentaries that are in multple parts and beable to play them back in a single file :).

Next job to do will be to do the same for iso files kinda, to beable to play them back directly in mpc-hc without deamontools.
I need to beable to play back audio cd iso's without mounting them...

Khemikal796
11-22-2010, 12:07 PM
C/C++ coder at heart but stuck in VB.Net land making database front ends at work (Microsoft shop). I've managed to avoid any sort of web development so far, and I'm hoping to keep it that way.

s1nykuL
11-23-2010, 04:05 AM
C/C++ coder at heart but stuck in VB.Net land making database front ends at work (Microsoft shop). I've managed to avoid any sort of web development so far, and I'm hoping to keep it that way.

Web development these days is front end/gui programming for database access. Most blogs are Wordpress feeding data from Mysql to a web page dynamically created with php.

Online shops are an html/css front end connected to a backend database. Again it is often php that pulls the data from the database backend and presents that data in a web page dynamically created depending on the result of the data query.

May I ask why you are so adverse to web development?

Just writing web pages in CSS and HTML is more like design work than coding and doesn't really require much, if any coding skill. I can understand why just tapping out HTML could be seen as boring, especially for a coder.

Adding some Java can make things interesting, but creating web pages by coding php is something entirely different. With php you have a very powerful and robust language in which to develop applications, not just database look ups.

I am new to php, I have only been coding with it for a couple of months so I have only really scratched the surface. I have coded a tagged photo database/gallery similar to Flicker and an app that allows the design of customised vehicle registration plates with real time screen update from user input...

http://www.propergander.org.uk/NotContent/screen1.jpg

It's spaghetti code at the moment. It was a learning exercise, the code is very messy but it works. I almost know what I am doing now. I am currently working with the missus on an commercial idea which will go live 2nd qtr next year.

[XC] Oj101
11-23-2010, 04:25 AM
Something I whipped out in about ten minutes of code time, quite a while with design (I hate design :( ) WCG PPD Calculator (http://infinityfx.co.cc/ppdestimator/index.php)

Yes, it's incomplete.

s1nykuL
11-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Oj101;4639046']Something I whipped out in about ten minutes of code time, quite a while with design (I hate design :( ) WCG PPD Calculator (http://infinityfx.co.cc/ppdestimator/index.php)

Yes, it's incomplete.

Seems pretty complete to me(CPU listing?), presuming that all you want that page to do is calculate ppd. I can't see the php of course.

I did try, although not to hard, to get your page to execute some php and javascript for me but it didn't. It also rejected nonsense input so I guess input validation isn't missing.

Particle
12-07-2010, 08:45 AM
There are quite a few programmers here, myself included. I absolutely hate web development though. I'm more into desktop apps and back-end systems.

s1nykuL
12-07-2010, 10:17 AM
There are quite a few programmers here, myself included. I absolutely hate web development though. I'm more into desktop apps and back-end systems.

I prefer coding over scripting too, though I don't mind web development. I can throw pages together pretty quickly, I find it's the design element (aesthetics) that's too time consuming. But providing there is a challenge I am up for it, I find easy boring.

MadHacker
12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm primary C++ but finding i have to do more and more in C#, but try to avoid it.
do mostly socket, data manipulation and database stuff. some GUI (test apps) but not much, mostly services
my last job i worked with video compression so did a lot with DirectShow as well.

Sniper
12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
18 years of C++ coding here. Also worked some in Java, C# and WPF. Back in the old days I did som Fortran, C and Pascal coding. I also try to avoid web development, prefer desktop apps.

aver
12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Im doing the old .net programming these days but have interest in it all

Calmatory
12-09-2010, 01:40 PM
C mainly with some asm for reverse engineering. Back to C++ and game programming later on.

poke349
12-12-2010, 05:49 PM
1 year of Java back in my high school days.

Since then, 4 years of C with cout/cin/endl. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I've never used the fancy C++ features outside of work/schoolwork.

I also read a lot of compiler generated assembly, but rarely do I write any myself.

El Mano
12-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Batch, C ANSI, HTML, SQL (it's a language after all :D ) VB and ASP.

And I like web development a lot :up:
SQL is fun, it's like solving a sudoku. I work with MySQL, PostgreSQL and MS SQL Server (and Management Studio).

Hey guys, why don't you like web development?

Edit: lol, I forgot BASIC and... LOGO ftw!!

Khemikal796
12-22-2010, 05:29 AM
May I ask why you are so adverse to web development?

The way we do programs here one, maybe two, coders do the entire project themselves along with one of our analysts. I have a VERY poor imagination when it comes to doing neat/cool/fancy web pages. Considering my mom is an artist it is weird I don't have more of an imagination when it comes to those kind of things. Coding the back-end functionality would be no problem, but the web page it self would look as dull/boring as it could get. Looking at a top/left justified site all day would put me to sleep, why would I force someone else to look at that? :D

NEOAethyr
12-22-2010, 06:08 AM
I don't mind web dev'ing.
It's just the quirks between diff browsers that can be a pain.

The special defines or whatever they were for each browser type is nice though.
If ie is off by a certain margin in diff things, you can fix it without breaking other browsers, same goes for mozilla and probably the rest as well.
But some hosting sites don't allow it, a crappy example, but a good one at the same time would be the old myspace.

Web hosting is another draw back.
You can design a decent site, but finding a decent, reliable host is another prob.
A big prob I think, you can find out of 300 hosts maybe 2-3 good ones.
So you get your page up, and it goes down in a month :\.
Stuff like that.

But otherwise I don't mind it.
If you get sick of it all together, stop and try again a few months later.
Re-writing from scratch a few times, eventually you'll get the hang of it and you probably won't mind it so much.
But good luck finding a host that's free that is reliable :(.

I wanted to put up a good website, for games and hardware, news and etc, just whatever.
As well as a forum for these things, as well as an irc server for a channel.
The irc thing, well, that would apperently have to be in house, there's no outsource for any irc host out there as far as I can tell.
Money money money, for a connection that is decent enough to pull it off.
A 20megs connection may do, but you'll have to have the rights to put a web site up and so on.
Doing so without permission from your isp, is well, just asking to be cut off from your isp sometime or another.
So the business connection is the way to go.

Html and css I don't have any probs with.
Javascript I barely know and php, I don't know at all.
So I can put up a page and stuff, but adding comments to a news page or making a forum, is something I don't know anything about yet.

s1nykuL
12-22-2010, 07:29 AM
The way we do programs here one, maybe two, coders do the entire project themselves along with one of our analysts. I have a VERY poor imagination when it comes to doing neat/cool/fancy web pages. Considering my mom is an artist it is weird I don't have more of an imagination when it comes to those kind of things. Coding the back-end functionality would be no problem, but the web page it self would look as dull/boring as it could get. Looking at a top/left justified site all day would put me to sleep, why would I force someone else to look at that? :D

That's what I find time consuming... Website aesthetics. I usually look around for innovative sites to get ideas (yes I copy ideas) then build several versions before committing to a particular design. All the image processing takes time too. It is a good feeling however when the client says "brilliant", or after building a site from a verbal description "that's just what I wanted".

s1nykuL
12-22-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't mind web dev'ing.
It's just the quirks between diff browsers that can be a pain.

Yes, I code for Firefox and then hack the code for IE6&7.

Web hosting is another draw back.
You can design a decent site, but finding a decent, reliable host is another prob.
A big prob I think, you can find out of 300 hosts maybe 2-3 good ones.
So you get your page up, and it goes down in a month :\.
Stuff like that.

I resell hosting, I have an excellent provider. php based hosting starts at around $50 per year including domain name registration. Not the cheapest, but I have been using and recommending them for almost 15 years. They must be doing something right.

I am lucky, not all do here in the UK but my ISP allows the setting up of a web server on the account with a free static IP address. There are no caps or limits, at least none that I have reached yet, although traffic to/from that particular site is not very high. My LAMP server is under my desk, an old recycled Athlon XP system running a security help site and blog. It's setup as my home page here on XS.

Gimmpy224
12-28-2010, 10:48 AM
C++, java, PHP, javascript, vbscript, powershell, c#, BASIC (dosnt count IMO), assembly, some perl.

only 22 ^_^ I use them mainly for automation at my job and for writing software.

I HATE doing web work.

Particle
12-28-2010, 02:09 PM
I hate web development mostly because I'm not artistic. Making a layout that looks good means trying to discern first what people think looks good and then looking at similar styles in products people have already made. It doesn't come to me naturally, and I rather dislike the whole process. If it's a drudgery, I'm not having fun. If I'm not having fun, why bother? I also dislike web development because the platform is a lot more limiting. Postbacks and such...bah. I'd rather have a real program with a real UI layer. It's much less frustrating.

I'll tell you what I've really had the most fun in lately: HDLs. I love Verilog, as quirky as it may be. It lets me do nifty things. :) They say it's as hard as assembly, but I don't see it. Sure, you're working at a lower level than even ASM, but it's somehow easier to visualize what's going on. I just don't think of programs in terms of CPU instructions. Now, I can make a UI in hardware using no microprocessor on the other hand!

NEOAethyr
01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
I've been messing with a program called AutoHotKey for the last 2 days.
I used it to replace a program called opera launcher.

You can do some neat stuff with it.
I'm using it to redo the starting position of a program and resize it, also to remove the titlebar.

In opera I got my own min and close buttons on a toolbar, so I'm able to remove that unsightly titlebar that no longer has a use :).

Right now I've got to redo some code to check for program titles that already exist, for some reason this isn't working and it thinks it never exists.
Another thing I want to do is instead of removing the titlebar in some programs, like mpc-hc for example, I would replace it with something better.

I don't know, it can do alot of stuff though.

Here's my 2 examples:

Mpc-hc, the exe renamed to mpc.exe and the ahk file compiled to mpc-hc.exe.
Oh and the ini file renamed to mpc.ini, it's mpc's ini file.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;; Defines

Debug_Mode = 0 ;Disabled
;Debug_Mode = 1 ;Enabled
;Debug_Mode = 2 ;Enabled, Extended Mode

;; Misc Defines

SetTitleMatchMode, 2

Loop %0%
{
GivenPath := %A_Index%
Loop %GivenPath%, 1
LongPath = %A_LoopFileLongPath%
}

;; Main

if 0 = 0
{
if Debug_Mode = 2
{
MsgBox, if 0 = 0
}
else if Debug_Mode < 0
{
}
IfWinNotExist, mpc.exe
{
if Debug_Mode > 0
{
MsgBox, if 0 = 0: IfWinNotExist
}
else if Debug_Mode = 0
{
}
Run mpc.exe
WinActivate, Media Player Classic Home Cinema
WinWaitActive, Media Player Classic Home Cinema,, 2
if ErrorLevel
{
}
else
{
; WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A
; WinMove,,, -3, -3, 1864, 1086,,
}
}
else IfWinExist, mpc.exe
{
if Debug_Mode > 0
{
MsgBox, if 0 = 0: IfWinExist
}
else if Debug_Mode = 0
{
}
Run mpc.exe
if ErrorLevel
{
}
else
{
}
}
}
if 0 > 0
{
if Debug_Mode = 2
{
MsgBox, if 0 > 0
}
else if Debug_Mode < 0
{
}
IfWinNotExist, mpc.exe
{
if Debug_Mode > 0
{
MsgBox, if 0 > 0: IfWinNotExist
}
else if Debug_Mode = 0
{
}
Run mpc.exe "%GivenPath%"
if ErrorLevel
{
}
else
{
}
}
else IfWinExist, mpc.exe
{
if Debug_Mode > 0
{
MsgBox, if 0 > 0: IfWinExist
}
else if Debug_Mode = 0
{
}
Run mpc.exe "%GivenPath%"
if ErrorLevel
{
}
else
{
}
}
}

Opera, renamed opera.exe to oper1.exe.
And then modded oper1.exe and opera.dll, all ansi type of strings, instances of opera.exe were replaced with oper1.exe.
The the script file was compiled and named opera.exe.

Loop %0%
{
GivenPath := %A_Index%
Loop %GivenPath%, 1
LongPath = %A_LoopFileLongPath%
}

if 0 = 0
{
IfWinNotExist, Oper1.exe
{
; MsgBox, 0 = 0 NotExist
Run Oper1.exe -newwindow
WinActivate, Oper1
WinWaitActive, Opera,, 2
if ErrorLevel
{
return
}
else
{
WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A
WinMove,,, -3, -3, 1864, 1086,,
}
}
else IfWinExist, Oper1.exe
{
; MsgBox, 0 = 0 Exist
Run Oper1.exe -newwindow
WinActivate, Oper1
WinWaitActive, Opera,, 2
if ErrorLevel
{
return
}
else
{
}
}

}
if 0 > 0
{
IfWinNotExist, Oper1.exe
{
; MsgBox, 0 > 0 NotExist
; Run Oper1.exe -newwindow "%GivenPath%"
Run Oper1.exe "%GivenPath%"
WinActivate, Oper1
WinWaitActive, Opera,, 2
if ErrorLevel
{
return
}
else
{
}
}
else IfWinExist, Oper1.exe
{
; MsgBox, 0 > 0 Exist
; Run Oper1.exe -newwindow "%GivenPath%"
Run Oper1.exe "%GivenPath%"
WinActivate, Oper1
WinWaitActive, Opera,, 2
if ErrorLevel
{
return
}
else
{
}
}
}

The mpc code doesn't do anything.
Because I found that if I'm not running resident in mem, if I fullscreen then take it back out of fullscreen the titlebar will show back up.
So in my current exe ver of it, I don't mess with the resizing or titlebar.
Certain files, seem to ignore the window resize, the zoom gets applied and I can't resize it with the code above, it's wierd, funny that the titlebar goes away though still.
At the moment I think I'm gonan try to replace mpc's context menu using this type of code, either that or replace the titlebar with a new type of one.

The opera code...
Works great, better then opera launcher.
At the moment, it can't redo the pos and resize new windows.
Opera ver's past v10.10 can't open in new windows unless you use the cmd line to doit.
Which is fine by me.
But at the moment, I can only resize the 1st window.

I open a mht or htm file on my drive, if I tell this code to run oper ain anew window, I get 2 windows.
One is my homepage, the 1st window.
The 2nd is the url passed to opera from the cmd line.
It's this 2nd window that gives me a prob.

If I setup the code to add a new page from an opera toolbar, with the url passed through it "%u", it works 100% with the above code (plus a tiny bit more code I removed from the above, the -newwindow cmd line thing).

So I'm pretty close to fixing up opera v11 to the point where it's cross compatible with the config of my v10.10.
Making it usable in xp/2k and 2k3.
Soon I think anyways.

Lots more to work on.
Nice litle program though, very handy for scripters.
I'm sure one could replace the exe's it compiles with your own someday if you did enough decompiling to figuer out how they worked.
But for now, this will do for me :).

I believe it's possible to replace the start menu button with this or remove it.
I haven't tried yet though.

It's kinda odd that the desktop has a titlebar...
^^, it does..., and you can keep removing it too, really messes up the icon and wallpaper view on your desktop.
Experimented with that when I made a script that stayed resident and toggled it's code with the win+t keys.

Edit:
Hmm, those scripts were from last night, not quite the exe's I'm using now.
Close though.

danielkza
01-13-2011, 11:48 AM
@NEOAethyr:

If you liked AHK, try AutoIt. It's got a much saner language: I can't stand AHK's syntax. The included libraries are awesome too. Only con is that it is not open-source.

NEOAethyr
01-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Cool I'll check it ;).

I know that ahk's syntax could turn out to be a pain, reminds me of vbs/js, supposedly I have to put spaces in quotes and remark quotes if I use them literally in strings...
Stuff like that can be a real pain, so far I haven't had to much of a prob with that yet.

Thanks danielkza, I'll check out AutoIt later on tonight :).

frazieje
01-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the board. I'm a coder of Java,Python,C++,C# professionally. I also use Ruby, PHP, and some others on my own time.

I'm really surprised by how many of you are against working with the web. At my job, 80% of the work I do gets used through some sort of web interface. Java EE utilizes full-fledged Java to provide enterprise applications in a distributed fashion over the web or other network. These distributed and service oriented architectures are the way of the future. Soon the lines will be blurred and the code you write for the web can be used as console app and vice versa.

As for those of you that hate the 'design' or 'aesthetic' aspects of the web, that's why at work we have graphic designers :)

SewerSide
01-24-2011, 06:46 PM
you speak the truth.
ever been to http://www.reddit.com/r/programming ?

frazieje
01-27-2011, 12:42 PM
you speak the truth.
ever been to http://www.reddit.com/r/programming ?

I haven't. I'll check it out.

masterg
01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
i code C, C++, C#, Assembly : PIC, x86....