PDA

View Full Version : Ripping DVDs

SoberWarlock
11-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but it's generally about media.

I am organizing a bunch of my media from DVD's to video files. My main goal is to set video files to be iPod compatible with resolutions of 640 x 480 with best quality/space ratio. I found out about handbrake and configured my settings for that nicely.

As for ripping DVD I use DVDShrink as it's free, simple, stable, fast, and gets-the-job-done. I have this feeling I am not getting full quality though because it's not so technical. DVDFab 8 came into mind and I tried out the "Free Version" and I can't find settings to rip DVD in TS_Audio/Video folders. I have Nero but it only can burn the DVD to a .iso image file and I was wondering if that is a good option? What are advantages and disadvantages for burning DVD content to .iso image files:confused:

Hell Hound
11-06-2010, 10:26 AM
You will be limited to vlc player or mounting before watching,which would suck.

Nanometer
11-06-2010, 08:51 PM
That's not true, just install TTS codecs and almost any player will work, including windows media player. I use TTS files all the time and I dont have vlc installed.

SBB
11-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Handbrake should let you rip the DVD disc directly to an encoded file in the app itself - no need for more tools

josh1980
11-06-2010, 10:25 PM
What TTS files are you talking about? I tried googling it and all I got was text to speech, which I don't think is what you are talking about...

SoberWarlock
11-07-2010, 05:14 AM
Handbrake should let you rip the DVD disc directly to an encoded file in the app itself - no need for more tools

I want exact replica of DVD ripped to my Hard-Drive. I just found out about RipIt4Me which is a program that requires both DVDShrink & DVD Decrypt and acts as a guide to rip dvds using the two programs you have to install seperately. It works great, does the job I wanted, and no problems so far. :D

What TTS files are you talking about? I tried googling it and all I got was text to speech, which I don't think is what you are talking about...

I think he means free codecs like K-Lite or CCCP. Which has the option to come with a player but the codecs are actually installed in your PC so any player are associated with those codecs. Unlike VLC which packs it's own codecs (Which suck btw) and doesn't install it so other players Won't be associated with VLC's codecs.

josh1980
11-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Oh. I already install k-lite, and I can't seem to watch ISOs any way besides with VLC...

Serra
11-08-2010, 04:15 PM
There is only one right answer to this question - SlySoft. Go check out their website. It's not freeware, but the prices are good, the build quality is excellent, the GUI's are so easy even my wife can use them, you get free support, and they have a full suite of products for most jobs you may want.

I bought all of their products one day before they went to a per-year model (which they do sometimes come off of) a few years ago and have not regretted it once.

Angmaar
11-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I just use DVDShrink and watch it with VLC.

Nanometer
11-08-2010, 09:09 PM
My mistake, I meant VTS. My carelessness at work haha.