PDA

View Full Version : urgent: scanner and cam wizard in xp not working

Ewok
01-08-2004, 10:52 AM
using XP pro SP1+ updates. Basically clicking 'add' in the XP scanner and camera control panel brings up an eggtimer for about half a second then does absolutely nothing.

the reason i need to fix this is ive just got a canon ixus 400 digicam, connecting it via usb, and its being detected as an unknown device and listed as 'digital still camera' and so its not comming up in explorer or working with the canon software which says it cant detect a cam. Also trying to install the canon WIA drivers just causes the install app to hang, which is also going to be related to whatever the problem is (but it doesnt need these drivers for it to work properly anyway).

I am certain the fact that that wizard is not working has something to do with why the cam isnt being detected properly so i need to know how to fix that, or problems associated with that to try and get the cam working. ive spend months configuring this xp install so i am NOT wanting to reinstall it.

its NOT a usb problem OR a cam problem as ive tried it on my dads crappy xp pro install and it worked first time, detected straight away and came up in explorer without any drivers.

searched microsoft, canon etc, cant find anything about the scanner and camera wizard refusing to start up AT ALL, or the cam being detected wrongly in this way.