PDA

View Full Version : Second Hand Receivers

aznsniper911
11-03-2010, 09:29 PM
So I am replacing an old Onkyo receiver that died and I am wondering how reliable are second hand ones? What should i look for? Is ebay a good alternative to craigslist?

Nanometer
11-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Buy re-certified onkyo if you really want to. The only thing I'd buy second hand are speakers since I can pretty easily test them and determine any shortcomings. If you're on a tight budget there's good things for under 400, and even sub 300.

Donnie27
11-05-2010, 07:45 AM
So I am replacing an old Onkyo receiver that died and I am wondering how reliable are second hand ones? What should i look for? Is ebay a good alternative to craigslist?

I've bought new, used and recertified receivers from EBay and been pretty lucky. I do look at reseller ratings, ask questions about updated, performance and warranty. If they say as is, I move to the next seller.

I agree, if you like Onkyo, look for one of the many Onkyo CERTIFIED resellers and Refurbish models can save you big bucks!

Hell Hound
11-06-2010, 10:21 AM
If you have access to a flea market or pawn shop go there,this is where the best deals are.:up:

aznsniper911
11-06-2010, 10:40 AM
If you have access to a flea market or pawn shop go there,this is where the best deals are.:up:

Hmmm I just checked and nothing much around here. So basically I wanted music in my bathroom. I already bought two Polk Monitor70 and just need a receiver to power them

Hell Hound
11-06-2010, 10:54 AM
What about the rest of the place,is there a system else where ?

aznsniper911
11-06-2010, 08:57 PM
What about the rest of the place,is there a system else where ?

I had some really old polk bookshelf speakers. Was planning on using all with the receiver in the bathroom

SBB
11-06-2010, 09:07 PM
As long as it's been looked after I wouldn't worry too much

I have a 10 year old sony still going strong :D

Sony STR-DB940, got it out a local paper for £80 ($120) a few years ago. It only has S-Video and Composite video connections, but I just use it as an amp - has 4 digital inputs and supports DTS/dolby 5.1 - everything I need :)

Donnie27
11-07-2010, 04:24 PM
I had some really old polk bookshelf speakers. Was planning on using all with the receiver in the bathroom

Bathroom and none water proof audio equipment don't mix. A friend pipes music in from another room and use some Alpine Marine speakers. Stream and moisture as a whole can wreck or cause havoc on almost any electronics. Again, thought there are Marine equipment that might fit the bill.

aznsniper911
11-07-2010, 11:51 PM
As long as it's been looked after I wouldn't worry too much

I have a 10 year old sony still going strong :D

Sony STR-DB940, got it out a local paper for £80 ($120) a few years ago. It only has S-Video and Composite video connections, but I just use it as an amp - has 4 digital inputs and supports DTS/dolby 5.1 - everything I need :)

Sounds like a really good deal you got out of that! I'm more concern about the quality of things since I'm on a budget and really wouldn't want anything to break

Bathroom and none water proof audio equipment don't mix. A friend pipes music in from another room and use some Alpine Marine speakers. Stream and moisture as a whole can wreck or cause havoc on almost any electronics. Again, thought there are Marine equipment that might fit the bill.

That is indeed true but I thought since there isn't a lot of moisture in the bathroom (Have two vents) that it should be okay. Originally I was going to keep it in my room however thought bathroom was more interesting.

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/product.jsp?quantity=1&itemUUID=2a6cce3840e199f403e55cc65dad609f
Any thoughts on that?

Donnie27
11-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Sounds like a really good deal you got out of that! I'm more concern about the quality of things since I'm on a budget and really wouldn't want anything to break

That is indeed true but I thought since there isn't a lot of moisture in the bathroom (Have two vents) that it should be okay. Originally I was going to keep it in my room however thought bathroom was more interesting.

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/product.jsp?quantity=1&itemUUID=2a6cce3840e199f403e55cc65dad609f
Any thoughts on that?

True and maybe I'm just overly cautious.

Ch@pS
11-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I own 2 second hand recievers, a Nad T741 and a Sony STR-K1500, both still work just as good as they day I got them and I've had both for a while now. Common sense and a bit of luck will get you a good second hand amp at a good price :)

aznsniper911
11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
So I was trying to narrow it down to a little above $300 or less and so far I got these following choices:
Well my speakers just shipped from Newegg so I have to deicded by tonight. The following list is what I been looking at so far:
Onkyo TX-SR508
Denon AVR-1611
Harman Kardon AVR1600

Donnie27
11-10-2010, 06:30 AM
So I was trying to narrow it down to a little above $300 or less and so far I got these following choices:
Well my speakers just shipped from Newegg so I have to deicded by tonight. The following list is what I been looking at so far:
Onkyo TX-SR508
Denon AVR-1611
Harman Kardon AVR1600

I like Harmon Kardon for Good Sounds but make sure it is updated. Folks have complained about Hand-Shake or Compatibility Issues via HDMI.

""Harman Kardon uses a proprietary auto-calibration software with a slick-looking transparent, conical microphone. In some ways, it is similar to Pioneer's MCACC in that while it uses a single position, it measures a wide variety of very loud noises from each speaker. Like Onkyo, Harman Kardon allows for crossovers to be set according to individual speaker, unlike Pioneer or Denon that use a global crossover.""

Miss-use! The THX and Home Audio Guide advises users to use 80MHz when ever possible. That's the crossover point Movies are mixed at globally so not matching fluxes everything up. Slight adjustments for the settings is should be just that, SLIGHT!

Also Onkyo sounds good as well, I used to like it for its LOUDness more than sound. But each of us experiences sound differently one mans sweet sounds are another man's noise. Lately I've been liking them for their sounds must be my hearing:shrug:

Without making this too long, I'd personally go with the Onkyo of these 3. But as always try to find a place to hear them in action.