PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on a stripped thread

AllAgainstPaul
11-03-2010, 08:14 AM
So a while ago I stripped a thread or two on one of the ports of my trusty old Black Ice Xtreme III Radiator. I overtightened and completely tore out a Bitspower compression fitting. However, I had in my possession old barb fittings with 4 or 5 full threads on it compared to BP's 2, so I used it instead.

Now I am planning on changing cases and would like the fittings to match. Can I use a Bastard file to remove the top two stripped threads, or is there a way to repair the damaged ones?

kinghong1970
11-03-2010, 08:49 AM
you can try to re-thread the top and ensure that it will fit the new fittings...

Conumdrum
11-03-2010, 01:01 PM
I'd buy a tap. BSPP G1/4 thread. Mcmaster Carr

affiliate13
11-03-2010, 01:46 PM
This might be a stupid suggestion.
But can you use some plumber PTFE tape around the fittings?

AllAgainstPaul
11-03-2010, 09:50 PM

Nope. When I stripped the threads it basically destroyed the first two threads. There is nothing for a fitting to latch onto until it is more than two threads deep into the socket.

And I looked into getting a heli-coil kit for fixing the thread, it would cost about as much as it would to buy a whole new rad.

Does anyone have any other ideas before I get a bastard file out and grind the socket down a thread or two?

Creekin
11-03-2010, 10:31 PM

There are no stupid questions....
Only stupid answers! :)

wez
11-04-2010, 03:02 AM
And I looked into getting a heli-coil kit for fixing the thread, it would cost about as much as it would to buy a whole new rad.

Does anyone have any other ideas before I get a bastard file out and grind the socket down a thread or two?

Grinding down the socket is probably the easiest and cheapest way. Just make sure you get it as flat as possible if you want to use o-rings again. Teflon tape will do the trick otherwise. :)
A tap that size will cost a lot as you noted already, and wont solve your problem if there are no material left to re-thread.

kinghong1970
11-04-2010, 07:41 AM
perhaps some pics would help get better replies...