PDA

View Full Version : College and High School people, please help!!

lkiller123
10-28-2010, 07:29 PM
I know this is not really relevant to the section, but you guys are the most helpful (and educated) people on the Internet..

Does High School quarter grades matter? I just started as a Sophomore with a good solid 3.8GPA from last semester.

I screwed up this quarter, a D in English Honors, 2 Bs (maybe a C for one of them), and 3 As.

All I wanna know is, will the grades go on the transcript, or to put it in another way, will the colleges see my quarter grade?

Movieman
10-28-2010, 07:32 PM
I know this is not really relevant to the section, but you guys are the most helpful (and educated) people on the Internet..

Does High School quarter grades matter? I just started as a Sophomore with a good solid 3.8GPA from last semester.

I screwed up this quarter, a D in English Honors, 2 Bs (maybe a C for one of them), and 3 As.

All I wanna know is, will the grades go on the transcript, or to put it in another way, will the colleges see my quarter grade?

I don't think they will
I think they just see your grade point average (GPA) but then it's been over 35 years since I was in a college classroom..:p:

stangracin3
10-28-2010, 07:38 PM
at my high school they only put semester grades on the transcripts

lkiller123
10-28-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't think they will
I think they just see your grade point average (GPA) but then it's been over 35 years since I was in a college classroom..:p:
I sure hope they will stay that way :D

I think mine does that too. I just wanna make sure quarter grades will be invisible to the colleges.

Bobsama
10-28-2010, 07:41 PM
They may, but most are more interested in final grades for your classes. Showing improvement is important. They'd rather someone who started with C's as Freshmen and worked up to A's as Juniors in core classes. I'd think that'd be preferred to having straight B's.

trn
10-28-2010, 07:41 PM
I would say ask your administration office and i'm sure they would be able to tell you. This sort of thing is going to be dictated by state laws so it will probably be a bit different for everyone.

lkiller123
10-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Whew, that makes me loosen up a bit

Sad thing is, English Honors don't even count as the "high GPA" class, they call it Honors because it is simply harder on us; I knew this just after I started school.:rofl:

Well don't laugh at me for sweating it too much, the school I am trying to get into will be something like UC Berkeley and UCLA, and people in my school are getting real heated up about their grades. I will need to stay up to the competition just to get into the school of my choice.:shrug:

Otis11
10-28-2010, 07:58 PM
The question is how does your school calculate your GPA? If it affects your GPA it will show up on your transcript (They show why your GPA is what it is)

My high school gave us a grade every 6 weeks, but the only thing that affected GPA was the semester grade, and therefore that was the only grade that mattered. Also, 1 bad semester is not going to kill you, just means you have to try harder next semester. No reason to freak out, but it might be worth talking to your instructor. I've had an instructor pull me from a C to an A - special circumstances, but still, it wouldn't have happened if I didn't ask.

Final thing to remember - There are ways to do anything and everything you want, you just have to be willing to do what's required. No matter what has happened, you can change what will happen.

Edit:Gongo I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the AP thing. Through AP tests and taking tests at my university before I started college (which I was only prepared for because of the AP classes I took) I started college just a few credits shy of being a Junior. All my younger friends and friends younger siblings I tell to take as many hard classes as possible, it'll prepare you better. Also, doing so gives you a better chance of getting into honors programs. :up:

DimmuKlokSC2
10-28-2010, 08:21 PM
From my experience the only thing that mattered was your GPA, the difficulty of the classes that you took, and the scores on the big tests such as SAT.

lkiller123
10-28-2010, 09:13 PM
My school resets the grades after the semester ends. The quarter grade stays until the end of the semester; I can assume that the grade won't really show up, right?

Also in addition to the APs I took, I am taking some classes the local community college, and they actually count for college credit. Do they help?

RAW-Raptor22
10-28-2010, 09:41 PM
At my school they only put Semester and final grades on the transcript, the quarter is more or less a progress report.

The_Beast
10-28-2010, 10:02 PM

Same here

[Ion]
10-28-2010, 11:41 PM
My school resets the grades after the semester ends. The quarter grade stays until the end of the semester; I can assume that the grade won't really show up, right?

Also in addition to the APs I took, I am taking some classes the local community college, and they actually count for college credit. Do they help?

I don't think those count. I've had about half a dozen classes through community colleges and the like, and they are all on different transcripts and are part of different GPAs :(

D_A
10-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Outside courses are often taken as "extracurricular activities" rather than counting towards your GPA. They might not count that way but you should always include them in your college applications to support your character.

WhiteFireDragon
10-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Whew, that makes me loosen up a bit

Sad thing is, English Honors don't even count as the "high GPA" class, they call it Honors because it is simply harder on us; I knew this just after I started school.:rofl:

Well don't laugh at me for sweating it too much, the school I am trying to get into will be something like UC Berkeley and UCLA, and people in my school are getting real heated up about their grades. I will need to stay up to the competition just to get into the school of my choice.:shrug:

you got some fierce competition applying to those schools. that D is really going to hurt, but good thing it doesn't count yet until the very end of the semester. you still have time to pull it up, but it's gonna be a tough one. and 3.8gpa is a pretty normal thing for those schools, you have to stand out in some other way. hope you're banking on a really good essay haha. the year i applied to UC schools was during the budget cut, where acceptance rates were all screwed up. grad school admission is fairly similar to undergrad admission, except it's highly tailored to the major/program. just started my grad program, and it makes undergrad look like elementary school haha

Otis11
10-29-2010, 08:16 AM

;4604018']I don't think those count. I've had about half a dozen classes through community colleges and the like, and they are all on different transcripts and are part of different GPAs :(

The college classes probably won't count toward your GPA, but they will (at some schools) count for your college GPA once you're in (if your school accepts them).

Basically, study hard, pull them up and don't fret about the past. All you got is what's in front of you. :up:

lkiller123
10-29-2010, 03:57 PM
yyou have to stand out in some other way.a

I will aim for a 3.8 GPA, not counting AP classes. This year I am only taking AP Comp Sci, but I will be taking three or four APs next year.

I am in the school orchestra as well as the school's physics team. Both are ranked among the top of the nation.:p:

I am an avid athlete - I am one of the star runners in my school as well as a club swimmer.

I crunch, of course:D

Not too shabby huh:cool:

All you got is what's in front of you. :up:
From now on I will work my ass off, for reallls.:yepp::p: