PDA

View Full Version : More problems with my EK multioption reservoir (picture included)

matari
10-27-2010, 01:03 AM
A few weeks ago, I came to this forum moaning about my leaking EK Multioption Reservoir Rev 2. I decided just to buy a new reservoir since EK had released a newer version, X2. I had several issues with mounting reservoir, but I was finally able to get it mounted. I leak tested with distilled water for well over 24 hours. No leaks to be found. So I filled it up with Thermochill EC6 (flame away) and proceed to bleed my loop for another 24 hours. Again, I found no leaks. My computer has been running continuous (excepted for reboots to bios for overclocks) for about a week. I have been running prime95 for about three days, when I noticed that the coolant in my reservoir was a bit lower. The reservoir starting to leak at the bottom.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2h5mner.jpg

The first thing I wanted to blame when I saw te leak was my coolant. However, I have been using this coolant for several months; the O-Ring on my CPU block and compression fittings are fine, so I find hard to believe this was caused by the coolant.

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1450052.png

Creekin
10-27-2010, 02:57 AM
it looks like the base is not on straight, may even be cross threaded.
the gap between the base and the tube looks alot bigger on the left than the right.
where all the coolant is coming from...

did you remove it at any time?
i'm sorry to say but it looks like operator error, either you took it off and put it back wrong, or you didnt take it off and reseat it when it was new.
either way, your fault.. :(

Tackleberry
10-27-2010, 03:00 AM
Contact EKWB support about this issue. They ll give you their opinion about it.

Hellfire-PC
10-27-2010, 03:07 AM
it looks like the base is not on straight, may even be cross threaded.
the gap between the base and the tube looks alot bigger on the left than the right.
where all the coolant is coming from...

I agree...this looks like the base is slightly off...

Elpy
10-27-2010, 04:21 AM
Thte picture might just lie a bit. Yes it looks like it wouldnt be straight but there is also not liquid on the right side while there is on the left side, possibly making it look like it isnt straight.

Well anyway just contact EK. We cant really do anything for you here. It's clear that the res it otherwise correctly fitted and so on so this is just a case of RMA. Bad products happen :shrug:

matari
10-27-2010, 04:34 AM
The previous poster is correct; the reason one side looks bigger is because it is only that part that is leaking. If I screwed the cap on off skew, then the probability of not leaking prior to this point is approaching 0. I have not drained the loop yet; the leak has not even made it to the bottom of the case. Once I drain the loop, I will post some new pictures.

Creekin
10-27-2010, 05:16 AM
maybe it is a badly made thread , if so i would rma it, but it "looks" like its just askew and you could possibly fix it by reseating and some thread tape.
it's a great pic, but all we have to guess from. :)

what are the white lines on the left on the thread?
is it air or marks in the base thread?

the water on the left makes it look like the acrylic is missing a piece...

matari
10-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Here is a new picture with some of the coolant still leaking. The water inside the reservoir is now close to ambient, and it appears that the leaking has stopped.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2920lxk.jpg

Creekin
10-27-2010, 07:08 AM
doesn't look as bent in this shot,
is there an o ring in those res?

is that air in the thread?

Waterlogged
10-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Guys, first pic is an optical illusion.

matari, 2 things.

1. Try tightening the res, the reason the res never leaked through all your leak testing is because the water wasn't being heated up enough to create pressure. Once you added the heat from the CPU, the pressure raised within the loop and found a weak point.

2. I can see o-ring on that BP fitting in the pics, this tells me that this might be the next spot to leak because with the way most of the fittings are designed today, your not supposed to be able to see any of the o-ring when tightened properly.

zacrobmer
10-27-2010, 07:42 AM
I had the same issue with my Ek 150 but the leaks started immediately and tightening did not fix the issue. As a quick fix I used plumbers tape on the threads and the leak stopped. I contacted EK and they were quick to sent me a new set of supposedly thicker o-rings. I just received them a couple of days ago.

On my res it appears that the cut out the oring sits in is almost too deep, the oring barely sticks out. I have not used the new orings yet to see if they fix the issue, I have not had an excuse to empty my loop to replace them.

EK will take care of you if you contact their customer service.

matari
10-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Ok, I removed the reservoir from my system. The O-ring was in good shape, so I cleaned it. Here is the picture...

http://i53.tinypic.com/2zje2av.jpg

I am not bleeding the system. I will see what happens when I stress the system again.

Sadasius
10-27-2010, 04:02 PM
I own this res and it is a good res but if there is a nick in the delrin at the bottom of the o-ring or a nick in the acrylic at the top of the o-ring then it can leak. Check for nicks that can route fluid past the o-ring. Water goes into my threads as well but then stops there and never leaks past the o-ring. I remember someone else had the same problem as you and he had a rather large nick in the delrin that channeled water past the o-ring.

matari
10-27-2010, 07:23 PM
no dice. it is still leaking after tightening the bottom.

Rosche22
11-08-2010, 12:38 PM
I have just about the same problem as you with the reservoir leaking. After awhile it lead to cracking. I have 2 multilink tubes one of which has longer threads and had no issues. The other tube is the leaking one and has been replaced once and had the same problem. It could have been in the same batch. Ek is sending me new tubes and o rings, and I am wondering if you ever solved your problem. And how? Thanks man

matt220
11-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Do you think you can still RMA? It might be your best option.