PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding changes to loop.

cesthree
10-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Using the following in an HAF 932.

The radiator is mounted in the top using 3x Panaflo 38mm fans (high speed) pulling air through the radiator out the top.

The following are listed in the order they are in the loop.

DD CPX-PRO
MCW80
Apogee XT
MCR-320QP

There is a Bitspower Y-fitting between the radiator outlet and the inlet of the pump. All of the fittings are Bitspower/DD Fat Boys. I am using Feser 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD UV blue tubing.

Straight distilled with a silver kill coil.

I cannot find a flow calculator that has the MCW80 in it; I am thinking that I might need a better radiator and/or pump to keep my temps under control.

I have an i7 875k @ 3.8Ghz and an EVGA GTX 480 being cooled by this loop.

Maybe those blocks have too much restriction for my CPX-PRO?

Thanks for any help; as you can see I am a big fan of Swiftech products. Maybe a MP655 would suit me better?

My temps are decent; I would like some more headroom for pushing my CPU as in games it reaches ~65-66C (30C Ambient, it's a hot room with two OC'd rigs playing simultaneously).

So, what' do you think? Any insight, questions, comments welcome!

Conumdrum
10-23-2010, 06:02 PM
I'll tell you what needs changed right away. That is a old CPU block, it was made BEFORE the i7's came out by at least a year. Wayyy old. Thats your CPU temp problem. You could also really need more rad. You ever figure out your loops heatload? Figure out the theroretical DT yet?

http://www.overclockers.com/guide-deltat-water-cooling/

No one has done flow rates on the 80 to add to a flow calculator and untill someone updates one, your outta luck. It's a free flowing GPU block I hear.

zanzabar
10-23-2010, 06:12 PM
i vote more rad, i would go 2 fans for the cpu and atleast 2 for the 480 if not 3.

your pump should be fine (the 18W cpx is about the same as a sped 4 or non vario 655), a new block would get a couple of C but more rad should help the most even a 1 fan.

i have a p120.1 with a 1090 and a 4890 (a little over if not half the power consumption of the 480) and im a fan to little to clock things were i want so your in the same boat

cesthree
10-23-2010, 06:15 PM
I'll tell you what needs changed right away. That is a old CPU block, it was made BEFORE the i7's came out by at least a year. Wayyy old. Thats your CPU temp problem. You could also really need more rad. You ever figure out your loops heatload? Figure out the theroretical DT yet?

http://www.overclockers.com/guide-deltat-water-cooling/

No one has done flow rates on the 80 to add to a flow calculator and untill someone updates one, your outta luck. It's a free flowing GPU block I hear.

The XT came out around the same time as the Lynnfield if I remember correctly; def after 1366 and it works well with that system; not worried about the block.

Both the XT and MCW80 have high restriction. I can barely blow through either one, the MCW80 being more restricted, especially when compared to my old D'Tek Fuzion V2 and an MCW30 I used to have. Those two felt like they had no restriction.

I guess I'll have to investigate a different rad, but I'll most likely op for a new pump if I get a larger rad = more restriction too.

Thanks!

zanzabar
10-23-2010, 06:17 PM
the XT is not vary high restriction but its micro pin so it preforms like an old style high restriction, same with the mcw80 its about the same restriction as the mcw60 v2

Conumdrum
10-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Ohh my bad, bad, bad. I saw the pump and thought it was an OLD cpu block. Your block is fine, your just underraded.

Figure out the DT and you'll see what I mean. You got 550 watts under load. Loud HS/HP fans. 7.5 DT is okay, but some chips run hot. Can you drop the voltage for 3.8? You could double the rad and lose 3-4C.

Rad adds just the teeniest bit of restriction. BUT, yea, the head pressure on that pump isn't great, could be affecting the flowrate. More pump and rad if you want to drop temps somewhat and maybe lesser fans.

PiLsY
10-24-2010, 04:28 AM
You need more rad as conundrum says. In high ambients your rads will perform noticeably worse.

I run a cpx-pro, 2 x ek 470 full cover blocks, chipset block, Apogee XT, PA120.2 and PA120.3 single loop. Flow is enough not to suffer for temps, you need that second rad. Remember the Apogee XT and gfx blocks work great at really low flow.

I get highest gaming temps in BC2, (this is a 950 at 4.4ghz with the 470s at 850/1900/1900) CPU:64/62/60/62 GFX:core 53/52 pcb 39/39.

Im using Zalman F3s at full speed in push pull on both rads. Dont really notice the noise but im half deaf by now anyway. I used to use 120mm EHE deltas at full speed and sleep in the same room back on the northwood/xp days :lol:.

cesthree
10-24-2010, 09:26 AM
It's going to take me a minute to read through all that information, and apparently while DT can be measured, not one place did that article state how to do so. Some type of thermal sensor in the loop? More searching, I get it.

Sometimes it would be great for less ambiguous explanations; this way popularity could be achieved in the thing you are explaining.

Anyways.

The only room I have is to fit a 120.1 type radiator inside the case, if I want to add another rad and keep everything inside the case. I do want to keep everything inside. I am thinking that I will look into a new 120.3 type radiator.

The Thermochill looks nice, especially with the 15mm fan spacing. I believe that will have the same spacing as my Swiftech MCP 320 QP? I also like the XSPC RX360; price is nice and it' freaking thick.

So I guess I'll start there. A new radiator. I hope I don't need to take a chill pill; I might end up deaf.

You know, I remember those P4's being loud even with air cooling.

Conumdrum
10-24-2010, 09:59 AM
It's going to take me a minute to read through all that information, and apparently while DT can be measured, not one place did that article state how to do so. Some type of thermal sensor in the loop? More searching, I get it.

Sometimes it would be great for less ambiguous explanations; this way popularity could be achieved in the thing you are explaining.

Anyways.

The only room I have is to fit a 120.1 type radiator inside the case, if I want to add another rad and keep everything inside the case. I do want to keep everything inside. I am thinking that I will look into a new 120.3 type radiator.

The Thermochill looks nice, especially with the 15mm fan spacing. I believe that will have the same spacing as my Swiftech MCP 320 QP? I also like the XSPC RX360; price is nice and it' freaking thick.

So I guess I'll start there. A new radiator. I hope I don't need to take a chill pill; I might end up deaf.

You know, I remember those P4's being loud even with air cooling.

Replacing the rad won't help a lot. Your already doing very well with the rad you have and the HS fans you have. You need more rad.

On the article. It states DT is the difference of your stabilized water temps vs air temps, room temps or air your using for the rad. You measure it by measuring the two temps. What the article does is help you decide on how much rad you need to cool xx temps. How you decide to use that info is up to you. It's helped countless others to learn and decide. Ambiguity to some people, others are able to use the info, understand and move on it.:shrug:

You need more than a 120x1. Sorry that your case won't hold it all inside. Physics doesn't care that it won't fit.:rolleyes:

Ohh are you using case air to blow through the rad or room air? Thats usually 2-4 C inmprovemnt depending on your case air flow, how much heat the parts in the case make etc. :up:

cesthree
10-24-2010, 11:27 AM
So I have these three Yate Loon medium speed 120's in my old HTPC case just doing nothing, right.

Bolted them on the bottom of my radiator to push; temps dropped ~5-6C overall in BC2. Pretty stoked for a "free" upgrade. lol. No louder than it was; I run my Panaflo's at 1500 RPM using my MFC-2.

We'll see what happens when I get some more monies. I might upgrade the radiator, add a radiator, upgrade the pump. Maybe nothing at all.

Thanks for all of your input and help. I am pretty stoked right now.