PDA

View Full Version : Why is my DDC 3.25 Leaking out of the bottom?

Monkeyface
10-21-2010, 02:20 PM
So my system has been up and running for a couple weeks now, and my DDC pump with an EK x top v2 have been leaking a TON out of the bottom of the pump in and around that thing thats on the bottom when you look, just that whole region. Could it be because my EK top is not screwed on enough, because I def feel like the screws are not that tight AT ALL, so would that cause it to leak in the bottom, because I think since its not tight enough the o-ring is not really doing its job.

How in the world can i fix this, because whenever I go to tighten the screws, they turn but are not getting any tighter, should I use bigger screws or something? Or try a different top?

defect9
10-21-2010, 02:24 PM
if they turn but don't tighten, have you checked to see if you stripped the threads?

Monkeyface
10-21-2010, 02:30 PM
I cant really see into the threads for the pump top.

And when I took the top off and just tried to screw them into the top without anything else, they went in pretty tight. but still not tight enough, I t was still so easy to turn em

Monkeyface
10-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Well I think I will just buy a new top then? What is the absolute BEST top?

millertime359
10-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Have you checked your fittings to make certain they are not leaking, how about the tubing?

I wouldn't buy a new top yet till you find out why and where the leak is coming from. Post some photos so people can get an idea of your setup.

Sadasius
10-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Pics please! :yepp:

skinnee
10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
did you remember to put the o-ring back in before putting on the EK top?

Monkeyface
10-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Yes it is almost pouring from the bottom. Yes the o-ring is in there, and no its not a fitting. I will have pics up in a min.

Monkeyface
10-21-2010, 03:40 PM
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac264/Wookie55/DSC_0061.jpg

Its coming from that thing in the middle, on the outside and inside.

Sadasius
10-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I would say the threads in the top are stripped by the looks of it. The screws look loose. Not enough pressure to seal.

zeroibis
10-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Yea those threads should be down in there! Just looking you can tell they are not all the same depth as they should be if they were in correctly.

Also I think the best top is the XPSC res top (something like that) at least this is what I use and have found it to be very good (I actually have 2 of them). :up:

Conumdrum
10-21-2010, 08:47 PM
The screws need to be restarted in the SAME exact pattern as the original screws. You put the screw in, you turn it ANTI CLOCKWISE till it seems to fall into place. It's done slowly by experianced techs and watercoolers. Then it's started ever ever so carefully, each screw with mom's loving care. In a cross pattern, and peeking at the seal as it's done. You get close, then you cross tighten a TEENY bit at a time till it's perfect. Perfect is derived from knowing whats right.

Being too retentive, being too perfect and too careful in watercooling isn't a word is our bible. Slow is good. Rush means leaks..........

If it's coming from LOL the thingy in the middle you got water in the electronics.

Sparky
10-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Yea those threads should be down in there! Just looking you can tell they are not all the same depth as they should be if they were in correctly.

Also I think the best top is the XPSC res top (something like that) at least this is what I use and have found it to be very good (I actually have 2 of them). :up:

Given there seems to be an awful lot of DDC pump deaths attributed to the XSPC top, I'd highly recommend not getting one. Get an EK or something.

Movieman
10-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Why is my DDC 3.25 Leaking out of the bottom?
Because you didn't buy a 655?:rofl:
Sorry, that was mostly for Sparky!:p:

Waterlogged
10-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Stop using the pump and top immediately or else you may wind up having to buy another pump.

It sounds like you most likely stripped out the threads in the top from over tightening. If you can put the screws in and the never stop turning with a screw driver, that's definitely the case.

Given there seems to be an awful lot of DDC pump deaths attributed to the XSPC top, I'd highly recommend not getting one. Get an EK or something.

The info I collected regarding tops/systems is still anecdotal at best and considering the lack of real help I'm getting on the subject...I may just have it rubbed out.

Sparky
10-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Why is my DDC 3.25 Leaking out of the bottom?
Because you didn't buy a 655?:rofl:
Sorry, that was mostly for Sparky!:p:

:rolleyes: :slap: :rofl:

Movieman
10-21-2010, 09:31 PM
:rolleyes: :slap: :rofl:

:buddies:

Waterlogged
10-21-2010, 09:33 PM
:buddies:

Not until I see a MCP35X cooling that SR2. :slapass: :p:

Movieman
10-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Not until I see a MCP35X cooling that SR2. :slapass: :p:

two 655's..One for a GTX560 for the cpu's,then one for a MCR320 for the board block..:p:

zeroibis
10-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Going over most of the facts in those threads though it appeared fairly clear to me that the top had virtually nothing to do with the pumps failure in those cases.

Sparky
10-22-2010, 06:12 PM
:shrug: Just seems too coincidental to me that the slew of DDC death complaints mostly disappeared after the 3.2. Then after this XSPC top became popular, I've seen threads start up again, and a common thread among many of them was the XSPC top. So I figure better safe than sorry. Just my opinion.

penguins
10-22-2010, 06:18 PM
thing is he's already using an EK top

stangracin3
10-22-2010, 06:24 PM
:shrug: Just seems too coincidental to me that the slew of DDC death complaints mostly disappeared after the 3.2. Then after this XSPC top became popular, I've seen threads start up again, and a common thread among many of them was the XSPC top. So I figure better safe than sorry. Just my opinion.

remember though, most of those pumps witht he XPSC top were going on 2-2 and a half years. compare to 1 for the EK v2