PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play FF XIV?

Shaggy
10-08-2010, 01:51 PM
I know two hardcore FF XI players that were hyped, but lost the hype due to info they heard. Anyone play it or try it and can give a quick critique? The reviews I've read on game sites have been crap.

Also, I can't find a free trial, do they have one yet? I'd like a distraction from WoW until Cata comes out so I'm shopping around for a quick fix (or something better than wow if someone decided to pull their heads out of their asses and be original).

overclockedamd
10-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I bought it the day it came out and all i can say is ATM the game is crap! HORRIBLE targeting system literally half of the fight your trying to target the mobs. There are about 50 vendors in each city selling 5-10 items each so you have to run around for hours trying to find who sells what you need. There is no auction house only character "bazaars". These are just a few of the thousands of bugs and just flatout unpolished game system that was released. Its a nice base and with a few months of patching i see it being an amazing game. But they just jumped the gun and released a stale turd of a game. Lots of text is still in japanese. There are no intro guides to transition you into the game its just here..figure it out yourself GOOD LUCK.

On the good side the crafting system is ground breaking nothing like it has ever been done. The graphics are amazing. The CG is breathtaking. Its classic FF styling and spell/ability system. I really see this to be a AMAZING game within 3-4 months. I mean WoW even sucked for 5-6 months before it was patched and fixed up and now they have 12 mil sub's.

*edit* and its SLOWWWW everything takes FOREVER to load...NPC text Your spell rotation....just everything. The game should not have been released yet bottom line.

zalbard
10-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I strongly recommend not to bother with it.

Chickenfeed
10-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Played the beta, sucked big time. Cataclysm on the other hand is shaping up quite well ( also playing the beta )

alucasa
10-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Bought CE edition and played it until the public release on 30th.

I was sick of the game already by then. One of the worst MMORPG experience I've ever had.

Shaggy
10-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Damn, that bad eh? Guess I'll bite down for 2 more months til cata.

alucasa
10-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Well, I will try hard not to exaggerate.

The game was good when I started out. As with all newbies, I had no idea what the hell I was doing and was learning things.
The game was good while I didn't know stuff.

My first complaint came when I had to look for upgraded weapons and armors. NPC does not sell weapons and armors other than basic newbie weapons. They do sell some higher end stuff but at insane price tag.
It basically means players have to make them.

I suppose that was a good intent. I mean it was the same in FFXI as well. It builds solid crafting community.

Then ...
Well...,
there is no Auction house. There are market zones where players can place their own retainers that sell stuff for them. The problem is that each market zone has around 100 retainers and there is no search feature. And there are around 8 markets per city.

It would have been better if players named their retainers properly like "armor seller" but no. All retainer names are completely random. (and some name their retainers "blow job" and stuff, you know.)

After searching 2 and half hour searching for something I want, I told myself fuk and decided to craft things by myself only to find out that you need to learn literally all crafting professions just to be able to make stuff.
What makes crafting worse was that there is a certain lag between each action. This lag lasts 3 seconds. 3 seconds might not sound much, but look at this.

When I click crafting, my character will knee down. This takes 3 seconds. And then I have to wait another 3 seconds for crafting window. Once I place crafting materials, I need to wait another 3 seconds for next action. And then another 3 seconds for confirmation.
Some rumors say that this lag is intentional to slow you down, thus makes you level slower.

And for some freaking odd reason, you gotta be naked while crafting because failures during crafting damages armor way too fast that you will end up spending a fortune just to get your gears fixed after few crafting sessions.

(Takes a deep breath)

And you will spend one third of your game time running to other places because "Anima" that is required for instant teleport regenerates 6 points a day, and it takes 6 anima to teleport to another city.

And FFXIV's repair system makes you pull your hairs. And actually repairing stuff will make you want to throw your PC drown in bath.

This is just a tip of iceberg.

Shaggy
10-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Coming from UO I like a crafting system that is complicated out the ass. I love crafting and would prefer less competition in exchange for me putting a lot of time into it.

I mean the thing I don't like about wow is all the handouts the game gives retarded people. So maybe something with some depth could prove appealing.

KoHaN69
10-11-2010, 02:21 PM
It's quite innovative, but really buggy. Give it a try in a few months.

Dainas
10-11-2010, 09:13 PM
I leveled two jobs up to 75 in FFXI and know that game inside and out, its many downs and ups, however after trying the beta and seeing first hand my friends experienced with FFXIV I'm staying far far faaar away. I HATE pretty much everything made by blizzard, including the festering boil of stagnation that is WoW, but FFXIV is honestly a bigger pile of suck than even APB. You would have to be the biggest weeaboo apologist tool to go around saying you enjoy this game in the pathetic state they released it in.

Guild Wars 2 seems to me to be the one that could stomp blizzard into the ground once and for all -crosses fingers-