PDA

View Full Version : Static electricity

antipop
01-06-2004, 02:56 PM
I know that static electricity can kill your hardware in a second but i'd like to know if that ever happened to you. I killed many hardware but i've never killed one due to static electricity.

Keeper
01-06-2004, 03:15 PM
I toasted a mouse and sound card with one zap. Came home on a cold day, the heater was on all day and the house was dry; I reached for my mouse, and a three inch static spark attacked it, the PC crashed and wouldn't reboot..........I replaced the mouse and it booted with no sound and I had to reinstall several drivers to get it stable as well as a new sound card.

Just last month I zapped my flash drive while docking it, and every PC I docked it with crashed after that. I thought it was toast, till I docked it and then booted.......somehow that reversed the polarity and it came back to life.

Static is bad in the desert in the winter, I have a discharge chain in my office, but every once in a while I am in a hurry and forget to grab it as I come in.

antipop
01-06-2004, 03:21 PM
wow threee inch static is quite a lot, i guess that i never had a problem with static cause i don't live in a dry area

JBELL
01-06-2004, 03:47 PM
10 years in the desert ... dry as it gets ehre and no static issues yet! and yes I drag my socks on the carpet...

Techmasta
01-06-2004, 04:28 PM
No casualties from static electricity here. I think most people are taught to be overly cautious.

Keeper
01-06-2004, 05:01 PM
10 years in the desert ... dry as it gets ehre and no static issues yet! and yes I drag my socks on the carpet...

Liberals ain't got no juice :D

Silversink
01-07-2004, 11:26 PM
The colder the weather the more static is produced. I was once on a helicopter in cold weather and some dingleberry came running up to the chopper before the grounding wire on the wheel made contact with the ground. Anyway he touched the metal door release, and the guy literally flew 10'-15'. (I didn't know people could fly) Was kinda funny, he was ok and we all learned that Static electicity is not your friend.

Regarding computers, I have never had an esd problem.

antipop
01-08-2004, 03:51 AM
rofl that must have been fun to watch :D
Once i was in an exposition on electricity and the presentator made me touch a cap charge with 50000V (yes 50000) and it doesn't hurt at all, just a little pinch

Smizack
01-08-2004, 07:05 PM
I've worked on carpet floors for years. Never killed a thing from static.

SpudHo
01-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Lightning is static electricity, it can really pack a punch.

Here in the desert I shoot about 10-20 sparks out of my fingers pur day. I've learned to use my keys to shoot sparks out of instead of my fingers. As soon as I work on computers I take my shoes off (stay grounded) and touch something grounded (case) all the time.

CSOFT
01-08-2004, 10:03 PM
At work I'll zap the computers all the time while running, the only time I concern myself with static electricity is when working on a laptop.

Tedinde
01-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Killed a 9700 pro with some static. Just reaching in there to see how hot the BGA chips were while running.

Zap, screen corrupt. Never worked again, without lines.

SpudHo
01-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Lost 9700 ouch.

The worst I've ever done is shoot a big bolt from my forefinger into the usb port, hurt like hell, but the bh6 board didn't suffer.

mp3blast
02-06-2004, 04:24 PM
ive tried to break a video card with static electricity but i failed

i havent destroyed anything with static, its not really a weapon of mass destruction