PDA

View Full Version : Questions with EK multioption rev 2

matari
10-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Recently, I purchased an EK-Multioption RES 150 revision 2 to replace my XSPC single 5.25 bay reservoir (pain to bleed). About an hour after I installed the EK-Multioption res, the clamps broke. I have done some research and it appears that the clamps breaking is a common problem and EK might be willing to replace them. So I decided to leak test the res outside my case. I flipped it upside down so that I will have more options to plug into the top of the res. After a few minutes, the res started to leak out the bottom. I took the piece off and made sure the O-ring was there and it was. I tried a second leak test with similar results. Also, I noticed that water gathers around screw threads inside the res. If I were to use distilled water and silver, I am willing to bet I would get algae in that area. I really like this reservoir, but with all the trouble I have had with it, I am not sure if it is worth the effort. Any suggestions…?

mav2000
10-05-2010, 12:46 AM
I had the same issue with mine, with the res leaking out of the top...I asked Ek and they sent me new O rings and now I dont have that issue any more. I would also suggest you tighten it up a bit, after a through cleaning of the res threads.

Tackleberry
10-05-2010, 12:49 AM
These problems with clamps occured when EK used acrlyic clamps. It was being switched to nylon material (black) and problems disapeared.
Where exactly did it break?

Screw thread must have a minor loose tolerance so no big deal if a few drops get there, as long as it doesnt leak IMO.

matari
10-05-2010, 01:09 AM
the clamps broke on side. I will take some pictures later. The O-ring on the top piece (now my bottom) is very small and does not compress if tightened. If try to tighten it anymore I will strip the threads. I really think the o ring needs to be bigger for it not leak.

mingbogo
10-05-2010, 02:48 AM
EK should have put the threads on the inside so that they are not visible with a few drops of water getting thru. However, this is more of a looks issue, which has nothing to do with the leakage presented in this thread. I thought there was a thread not too long ago here talking about the same problem, which the user fixes this leakage problem by removing a small machining defect in the threads so the o-ring compresses correctly. :shrug:

schoolslave
10-05-2010, 07:06 AM
I also had problems with my EK res leaking.
I ended up just screwing the top on harder, there's still water in the threads but it hasn't leaked - yet.

matari
10-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks for all the help

On further inspection, you can easily see that the threads on the smaller POM piece (top) are larger than the big POM piece (bottom). So either I need a larger O-ring for the small POM piece or a new small piece with the thread machined correctly. I almost want to make the assumption that EK never intending for this res to use upside down. Either way I do not feel like waiting multiple weeks to get replacement parts. How are the Bitspower and Iandh versions of this res?

Waterlogged
10-05-2010, 09:19 AM
The design of threads that are used with an o-ring are such that they allow whatever is in that system (whether it be gas or liquid) to actually reach the o-ring. They are there only to hold the pieces together, not seal, that's the o-rings job.

matari
10-05-2010, 09:36 AM
My original assumptions are correct then? The reservoir was never meant to be used upside down? If I use the reservoir the correct way and fill it up into the fill port line, then the reservoir does not leak. It only leaks when I turn it upside down.

Waterlogged
10-05-2010, 10:34 AM
My original assumptions are correct then? The reservoir was never meant to be used upside down? If I use the reservoir the correct way and fill it up into the fill port line, then the reservoir does not leak. It only leaks when I turn it upside down.

Not sure how your drawing that conclusion, it can be mounted however you want to mount it. You just may need to tighten it a bit tighter if you don't want to wait for Eddy to ship a bigger o-ring.