PDA

View Full Version : [Question] Best Soundcard 2010

ganzir
10-02-2010, 04:44 AM
Hello,

I'm looking for a new Soundcard, which I use mainly for Games, Movies and Music (listening to). Most times I use a Headset since I'm using VoIP applications. Which soundcard would you recommend for the field of application described above?

Thanks in advance.

Greetz
Ganzir

Bobsama
10-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Asus Xonar, but be aware that you'll see no practical difference with typical shoddy computer speakers.

crackhead2k
10-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Asus for under 300
LynxTWO B it about a grand. uses XLR
For even better - Lyne AES with Aurora Converter you can go 8ch or 16 ch.

You will need good speakers.
You can directly plug them into an amp.
You may want a preamp.

I hope this helps

Donnie27
10-04-2010, 04:53 AM
Hello,

I'm looking for a new Soundcard, which I use mainly for Games, Movies and Music (listening to). Most times I use a Headset since I'm using VoIP applications. Which soundcard would you recommend for the field of application described above?

Thanks in advance.

Greetz
Ganzir

Auzentech Forte. It has the best Game support since you named that first. It does the best job of making your headphones sound like surround sound speakers and ain't bad for music and movies.

FinBenton
10-04-2010, 06:07 AM
Got Forte + sennheiser HD600 and it sounds awsome but drivers crappy, crashes every now and then.

deshen
10-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Asus Xonar Essence ST. Lovin it!

pogiman
10-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Asus Xonar gives you really good components. Its probably the best value in soundcards out there. If you like to go to the extreme, you can get a Benchmark DAC1 USB. But hooking that up to computer speakers would be a waste.

STEvil
10-05-2010, 02:22 PM
TerraTec DMX 6fire.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/terratecdmx6fire/
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/terratec-dmx-6fire-24,410.html

There are lite and USB versions as well: http://www.terratec.net/en/products/DMX_6Fire_USB_2084.html

I want a USB one to plug into a netbook for use in my vehicle.

edit

The USB one is the best really.

RAW-Raptor22
10-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Just Kidding.

Actually I still use my Audigy 2 ZS and it is just fine for what I use it for (upscaling and outputting in 5.1), but I need to upgrade too.

Thread Subscribed. :)

Donnie27
10-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Just Kidding.

Actually I still use my Audigy 2 ZS and it is just fine for what I use it for (upscaling and outputting in 5.1), but I need to upgrade too.

Thread Subscribed. :)

Hey, I've getting the itch to build a remake of the old Air Suspension speakers for the seventies.

I heard a nice sound system with the sweet sounding but over price X-Fi HD

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_hometheater_hd.php

Sorry, it is the best sound card I've ever heard.:D The guy had the larger Old school Garrard Air Suspension set with a smaller Marantz receiver. Pure Analog sweetness!

From the Terratec review!

""The line-out of the Audigy sounds smoother and more pleasant in the headphones, but the highs are a little incorrect. The Terratec provides a sound closer to the original, but the headphones-out has considerable downsides. The Audigy will suit those who prefer listening to music, the Terratec will be a choice of those who process music."

X-Fi sounds better than the Audigy/s and the Auzentech X-fi sounds better that all of the X-Fi's except one.

There is no comparison for Games, X-Fi does the best Job for the most Games, EAX or NOT! X-Fi kicks A$$ with 24bit-192KHz DVD-Audio or better as well. That review did a great thing in pointing out how important source material is. It's why I laugh at Audiophile wanna be's at HeadFi and AVS when they rant about how they are Audiophiles and then talk about how good their CD-Audio sounds:rofl::ROTF:

An absolute damned shame DVD Audio was done in by Sony:rolleyes: I have a few discs and I hope some large group would re intro it sort of like Quadraphonic ended up being reintroduced as AC3 LOL! I have very nice 24bit/96KHz discs from the Eagles, Deep Purple, Sting, Alan Parsons and others.

pogiman
10-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Its one thing if you want to be able to utilize the special sound effects generated by games. The X-Fi will be much better in this respect. If you want absolute best sound quality, the X-Fi is not a good contender. (with one exception: if you do the opamp and capacitor mods) As an EE specializing in audio circuits, I know producing a clean analog waveform is no easy feat and surely ~$100 sound cards will not beat equipments costing tens of thousands. The reason why most people do not hear a difference is 1)they dont know what to look for and what to expect from better sounding audio equipment. 2)they have a weakest link in their setup, usually the speakers. 3)The ones who claim an amazing difference is under the placebo effect as our ears are limited in sound accuracy. Most opamps nowadays are very precise and going from decent to extremely good is a merely 20% difference in audio quality. To the untrained ear, this difference is barely noticeable. Some claims at HeadFi are accurately made by educated members and some just say what others say.

Donnie27
10-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Its one thing if you want to be able to utilize the special sound effects generated by games. The X-Fi will be much better in this respect. If you want absolute best sound quality, the X-Fi is not a good contender. (with one exception: if you do the opamp and capacitor mods) As an EE specializing in audio circuits, I know producing a clean analog waveform is no easy feat and surely ~$100 sound cards will not beat equipments costing tens of thousands. The reason why most people do not hear a difference is 1)they dont know what to look for and what to expect from better sounding audio equipment. 2)they have a weakest link in their setup, usually the speakers. 3)The ones who claim an amazing difference is under the placebo effect as our ears are limited in sound accuracy. Most opamps nowadays are very precise and going from decent to extremely good is a merely 20% difference in audio quality. To the untrained ear, this difference is barely noticeable. Some claims at HeadFi are accurately made by educated members and some just say what others say.

Sure but no two of us perceive sound the same. Different aspects of sound reproduction affects us differently. There is no better or worse based on a number system or an amount. I played with 8 different Op-Amps on Prelude and to my ears the variance wasn't much more than slight but noticeable.

One was Hot, meaning it over emphasized the the highs. One seemed to loose too much of the mid range and add too much bass, another did a better job with those two but seemed to narrow the sound stage. One presented a sweet sound stage but didn't do as well with bass. NONE of them pleased me completely but I didn't think any of them sucked.

How did I pick one? I did all of the tests over with my system connected and adjusted. Two of them just about tied? I finally went with the Warm sounding very wide sound stage one. The only problem is that I removed some of the letters/markings so names of them wouldn't influence me.

The X-fi I was talking about is NOT the base model.

I'm looking for a new Soundcard, which I use mainly for Games, Movies and Music (listening to). Most times I use a Headset

Games are listed first and most of the time a headphone are used. X-Fi does the best 2 driver surround sound on the market. No simulated surround crap-o-la. That will put the X-Fi head and shoulders above the others. Now if that is music and movies, then games, great speakers/sound system then one of the others would move X-Fi to a 3rd or 4th choice.

pogiman
10-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Agreed. No opamp or discrete sounds the same and no two ears hear the same. I was just fed up with people comparing apples to oranges in audio applications. A reason I like the Asus is because they use good components and some allow the user to change the opamps, which is a plus. Most sound cards I've seen used mediocre amp which isnt unreasonable since their goal is to make profit. (Especially Creative) The Asus presents a feeling like you are getting your moneys worth buy using very good quality components.

@Donnie27: I hope I didnt offend you in anyway and I didnt mean to "attack" your post in anyway. I agree the X-Fi is perfect for gaming but I just wanted the OP to know more details before plunging in, "in case" movies and music mattered. And I also agree on your perspective on opamps. As stated, most opamps nowadays are very good and the differences are slight, but noticeable. However, not noticeable enough where people are ranting on forums how amazing "x" opamp really is.

STEvil
10-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Hey, I've getting the itch to build a remake of the old Air Suspension speakers for the seventies.

Sorry, it is the best sound card I've ever heard.:D The guy had the larger Old school Garrard Air Suspension set with a smaller Marantz receiver. Pure Analog sweetness!

X-Fi sounds better than the Audigy/s and the Auzentech X-fi sounds better that all of the X-Fi's except one.

There is no comparison for Games, X-Fi does the best Job for the most Games, EAX or NOT! X-Fi kicks A$$ with 24bit-192KHz DVD-Audio or better as well. That review did a great thing in pointing out how important source material is. It's why I laugh at Audiophile wanna be's at HeadFi and AVS when they rant about how they are Audiophiles and then talk about how good their CD-Audio sounds:rofl::ROTF:

An absolute damned shame DVD Audio was done in by Sony:rolleyes: I have a few discs and I hope some large group would re intro it sort of like Quadraphonic ended up being reintroduced as AC3 LOL! I have very nice 24bit/96KHz discs from the Eagles, Deep Purple, Sting, Alan Parsons and others.

I think I made a mistake by linking the older model review. Should try reading a review from the USB line which are 24/196. Also notice how poorly the audigy did in a couple of the tests :p

RAW-Raptor22
10-06-2010, 09:05 PM

The air suspension speakers are epic, I wish I had more of them so I could hook them upto a modern receiver and a system a with a sub or two to really hear them sing.

I still prefer CrO2 Cassettes... :p:

Kingcarcas
10-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Would you say Z-2300s are mid-range or just crappy PC speakers?

Donnie27
10-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Would you say Z-2300s are mid-range or just crappy PC speakers?

Before going off topic again, Full range speakers or 5.1 Speakers that cover the whole range are a must. Too much of the sound goes missing or not played loud enough or etc... when computer speakers are used.

How about Low Mid-Range? I think we all might say something sucks too often. Just because something is not as good, doesn't mean it sucks, it is horrible and etc.................. Likewise, you DON'T need to spend a ba-zillion dollars for great sound but that's STRICTLY my opinion. More power to those who believe you do and often do spend large sums of money on this stuff.

The air suspension speakers are epic, I wish I had more of them so I could hook them upto a modern receiver and a system a with a sub or two to really hear them sing.

I still prefer CrO2 Cassettes...

Sure but you can't take advantage of them unless you're using a modern receiver in Stereo Mode. Even then, many do exhibit that punch of the Old School amperage monsters of the past.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/nib-sealed-tdk-ma-110-metal-cassette-76893685

One of my favorites and I used the normal bias tapes for everyday normal recordings. I only used High-End MA for High End source material, it didn't improve old records or etc..... Remember, I have 10" Reel to Reel and use a Phase Linear Noise Reduction Range Expansion unit.

One other thing over looked here and deserves it own thread. Feeding those old Amps Higher Dynamic Range sources that are easier and more affordable today.

Mescalamba
10-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Auzentech HTHD or Bravura, depends on needs. Thats from those "regular soundcards".

Lynxes seems pretty good.. (http://www.lynxstudio.com/).

Heh and Creative Audigy 2 ZS.. that soundcard was something, still happy with it and Kx drivers in my HTPC. Though, Bravura is same level and slightly better (not from sound point of view, but from what it can do..).

Donnie27
10-07-2010, 06:45 AM
I think I made a mistake by linking the older model review. Should try reading a review from the USB line which are 24/196. Also notice how poorly the audigy did in a couple of the tests :p

Again, Audigy is not X-Fi=P

Thank you but I did read it. I like Terratec but wouldn't use it for gaming. I agree with the conclusion made that it was better suited for recording or etc... than gaming as the OP asked. The question was;

I'm looking for a new Soundcard, which I use mainly for Games, Movies and Music (listening to).

I merely tried to answer the question.

Donnie27
10-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Auzentech HTHD or Bravura, depends on needs. Thats from those "regular soundcards".

Heh and Creative Audigy 2 ZS.. that soundcard was something, still happy with it and Kx drivers in my HTPC. Though, Bravura is same level and slightly better (not from sound point of view, but from what it can do..).

No KX problem with X-Fi to worry about though. Then the 3rd party drivers from DanielK, YouP_Pax and others are even sweeter. My wife's computer still has an Audigy 2ZS installed and it is connected to the same receivers as my Main Rig. X-Fi sounds better in Analog and for games, Digital as well.

Agreed. No opamp or discrete sounds the same and no two ears hear the same. I was just fed up with people comparing apples to oranges in audio applications. A reason I like the Asus is because they use good components and some allow the user to change the opamps, which is a plus. Most sound cards I've seen used mediocre amp which isnt unreasonable since their goal is to make profit. (Especially Creative) The Asus presents a feeling like you are getting your moneys worth buy using very good quality components.

@Donnie27: I hope I didnt offend you in anyway and I didnt mean to "attack" your post in anyway. I agree the X-Fi is perfect for gaming but I just wanted the OP to know more details before plunging in, "in case" movies and music mattered. And I also agree on your perspective on opamps. As stated, most opamps nowadays are very good and the differences are slight, but noticeable. However, not noticeable enough where people are ranting on forums how amazing "x" opamp really is.

No biggie and no offense taken! I just advised two different uses to go with Asus after X-Fi's caused them problems on their setup. NOTHING is perfect and compatibility problems do happen to Creative, Asus and anybody else. X-Fi isn't a universal across-the-board best, even for me. When some one asks for help building a computer, we ask "What will you be using your computer for?" Well, sound cards are the same IMHO!

I bold-ed what you said to add a QFT! Or SMFT! So Mutha F%#$ing True LOL! Most of the folks I know are split on what sound cards used and I've not heard a bad sounding system with any sound card these folks are using. mainly due to the rest of the system, most of us have multiple computers, with multiple configurations.

If my HTPC didn't have a Prelude X-Fi left over from my main rig, I'd have an Asus whatever installed. I'm not using one in my main because I game too much. Most of the time I listen to Music in my Den though. I had an Asus card for a total of 2 hours, another bud bought it from me before I could install it. Sounds great in his HTPC.

Last but not least, the state of Computer sound is great, hell, even mobo continues to get better. ADC, Op-Amps and DACs are the only real thing separating mobo sound right now. Like the Acer Tube Amp Mobo, some will eventually do something about that problem and better than the X-Fi FX thingy:up:

RAW-Raptor22
10-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Sure but you can't take advantage of them unless you're using a modern receiver in Stereo Mode. Even then, many do exhibit that punch of the Old School amperage monsters of the past.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/nib-sealed-tdk-ma-110-metal-cassette-76893685

One of my favorites and I used the normal bias tapes for everyday normal recordings. I only used High-End MA for High End source material, it didn't improve old records or etc..... Remember, I have 10" Reel to Reel and use a Phase Linear Noise Reduction Range Expansion unit.

One other thing over looked here and deserves it own thread. Feeding those old Amps Higher Dynamic Range sources that are easier and more affordable today.

Thats definitely true, something that I do... :)

Those blank tapes are sweet, I wish I had some. I just use the high quality, normal bias, 90 minute Sony tapes, and they have a ton cheap at the Target by my house... :p:

I have quite a few of the old school CrO2 late 80s cassettes and they sound nice except the ones that have been left in a car or whatever over the years. I like them cause I can listen to them in my car still. (I dont have a CD player, nor do I want one)

STEvil
10-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Again, Audigy is not X-Fi=P

Thank you but I did read it. I like Terratec but wouldn't use it for gaming. I agree with the conclusion made that it was better suited for recording or etc... than gaming as the OP asked. The question was;

I merely tried to answer the question.

I agree, but also should the headphones used to make the review be taken into consideration? The review being referred to is still the old one as well.

Donnie27
10-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Thats definitely true, something that I do... :)

Those blank tapes are sweet, I wish I had some. I just use the high quality, normal bias, 90 minute Sony tapes, and they have a ton cheap at the Target by my house... :p:

I have quite a few of the old school CrO2 late 80s cassettes and they sound nice except the ones that have been left in a car or whatever over the years. I like them cause I can listen to them in my car still. (I dont have a CD player, nor do I want one)

Being a big guy in a small truck, my Auto Sound options are limited. Not to mention I'm not in it long enough to make use of it. I'd love to have a smaller version of what STEvil has:D

Anyway, one thing I always did was use a weather proof Cassette Case. I have about 300 cassettes and used to have a 450, many are 20 to 33 years old. I've messed up less than 5 and one of those was purchased 1978 LOL! I always had a group of about 10 cassettes that were my "Traveling Tapes" that was constantly recorded over and used my vehicles. Most of the others never left the house.

Funny as hell! I was going through an old box in the attic and found my 8 Track to Cassette adapter:rofl:

I agree, but also should the headphones used to make the review be taken into consideration? The review being referred to is still the old one as well.

Absolutely!

RAW-Raptor22
10-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Being a big guy in a small truck, my Auto Sound options are limited. Not to mention I'm not in it long enough to make use of it. I'd love to have a smaller version of what STEvil has:D

Anyway, one thing I always did was use a weather proof Cassette Case. I have about 300 cassettes and used to have a 450, many are 20 to 33 years old. I've messed up less than 5 and one of those was purchased 1978 LOL! I always had a group of about 10 cassettes that were my "Traveling Tapes" that was constantly recorded over and used my vehicles. Most of the others never left the house.

Funny as hell! I was going through an old box in the attic and found my 8 Track to Cassette adapter:rofl:

Absolutely!

I wish I had one, I have about 40 tapes plus ones I have dubbed and they are all in my glovebox. My oldest tapes are from 1975 through 1978... :p:

I have original:
Bob Seger - Night Moves
Bob Seger - Live Bullet
Eagles - The Long Run
Eagles - Hotel California (everybody has that... :p: )
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors
Marshall Tucker Band - Carolina Dreams

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, those are all from '75-'78...

It actually sounds half decent in my car because I guess it was one of the first to have the interior designed with sound quality in mind. :)

Donnie27
10-08-2010, 09:52 AM
I wish I had one, I have about 40 tapes plus ones I have dubbed and they are all in my glovebox. My oldest tapes are from 1975 through 1978... :p:

I have original:
Bob Seger - Night Moves
Bob Seger - Live Bullet
Eagles - The Long Run
Eagles - Hotel California (everybody has that... :p: )
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors
Marshall Tucker Band - Carolina Dreams

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, those are all from '75-'78...

It actually sounds half decent in my car because I guess it was one of the first to have the interior designed with sound quality in mind. :)

Just score a set of HPM 500's Crossovers. I've got the wood, the Mid-Range Speakers and two 10" woofers. Tweeters and or Horns are still needed!

RAW-Raptor22
10-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Just score a set of HPM 500's Crossovers. I've go the wood, the Mid-Range Speaker and two 10" woofers. Tweeters and or Horns are still needed!

For sure, I havent ever built any speakers before, how does it work to ensure they still sound good?

Bobsama
10-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Just score a set of HPM 500's Crossovers. I've got the wood, the Mid-Range Speakers and two 10" woofers. Tweeters and or Horns are still needed!

I'd recommend regular tweets: I've found horns to be harsh with voices. Not saying a tweet can't be the same, but even "laid back" horns had sharpened "s" sounds.

RAW-Raptor22
10-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I'd recommend regular tweets: I've found horns to be harsh with voices. Not saying a tweet can't be the same, but even "laid back" horns had sharpened "s" sounds.

Yea, the horns in my rear channels are like that... :p:

lowfat
10-09-2010, 12:26 PM

Can't recommend the HTHD. You are better off going w/ a Forte if you are looking for a good quality analog card.

And if you want to use HDMI then spend the $200 on a more capable videocard that can bitstream.

My vote still goes for the Asus Xonar D2X if you don't care for EAX.

Donnie27
10-11-2010, 06:19 AM

QFT! I'am leaning more towards tweeters than Horns but the only horn I looked at is Warm with this crossover and not as Hot. I think I'll go with the old 15" woofers CS-922A I have currently connected to my Bass Guitar AMP. Will start a new thread!

http://www.forodvdmania.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31760&start=3150

My recreation will look like on of these. Please note that both of the Pioneer models are 4-way and there's NOTHING quite like Ribbon tweeters though Planars come close! The CS-922A is on the left in the Pic.

dexster
10-11-2010, 06:37 PM
+1 for auzentech x-fi forte

Donnie27
10-12-2010, 04:18 AM
For sure, I havent ever built any speakers before, how does it work to ensure they still sound good?

One of the sets tweeter will be a 50W Soft Dome. The 3-Way Crossovers are from a set of Pioneer 500's. So these are tweaked for Bass Reflex. The X-Fi Prelude seems to like either Sealed or Ported so that shouldn't matter much.

I might add Pots so I can adjust the highs at the speaker level as well.

RAW-Raptor22
10-12-2010, 07:30 AM
One of the sets tweeter will be a 50W Soft Dome. The 3-Way Crossovers are from a set of Pioneer 500's. So these are tweaked for Bass Reflex. The X-Fi Prelude seems to like either Sealed or Ported so that shouldn't matter much.

I might add Pots so I can adjust the highs at the speaker level as well.

Thats pretty cool, sounds you get alot of control over what your speakers sound like that way. :)

I'm thinking about building a sub (to add to my 4.0 system, not my quad matrix), what should I do?

Donnie27
10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Thats pretty cool, sounds you get alot of control over what your speakers sound like that way. :)

I'm thinking about building a sub (to add to my 4.0 system, not my quad matrix), what should I do?

Considering how cheap subs are, you might want to skip building one. The funny thing is that DIYer parts like the Plate AMPs prices went up. I got mine for $99 and it is Now $139 at Parts Express. Their 12" all-a-rounder is only $140. Not in the same league as any of the Monster Subs but can shake the room LOL!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

It is a very good starter Sub. The cabinet is such that you can update to a better Dayton AMPs and their Titanic Subwoofer. Or any other better Sub if you like.

I found a set of AR 78LS Crossovers I'm going to use for my Higher power system. $32 shipped:)

RAW-Raptor22
10-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Considering how cheap subs are, you might want to skip building one. The funny thing is that DIYer parts like the Plate AMPs prices went up. I got mine for $99 and it is Now $139 at Parts Express. Their 12" all-a-rounder is only $140. Not in the same league as any of the Monster Subs but can shake the room LOL!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

It is a very good starter Sub. The cabinet is such that you can update to a better Dayton AMPs and their Titanic Subwoofer. Or any other better Sub if you like.

I found a set of AR 78LS Crossovers I'm going to use for my Higher power system. $32 shipped:)

Wow, not bad at all. Im satisfied with the bass from my KLHs (front) and Van Scams (Rear, I think they used Subs as Woofers... :p:) but I know it would sound tons better with a dedicated LFE... :)

Massive
10-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Greetz
Ganzir

Games and movies I think X-fi still the best choice.

For music things actually different.

For those who like to hear mp3 only I think X-fi is still the best thing to go, as it had the crystalizer feature which I think is very good on make mp3 quality more clearer.
But for those of you who like to hear audiophile cd, soundcard who use Crystal and VIA Envy HD, like Xonar and Onkyo can give more "true sound", I mean "true" because it produces sound which give more closer to the original sound. And both of the Xonar and Onkyo give you different sound character as well.

So you have to choose yourself base on your primarily use.
I use my self because I bought soundcard for gaming and movie, since I hear music on my other device, so I bought an Auzentech Prelude (X-fi chip), which I think one of the best soundcard with X-fi chip.

And FYI, if you hear sound on your speakers a lot, It is a lot more worthed to buy a good speakers than buy a good soundcard, so don't try to use good soundcard on lousy speaker as you completely destroy your purpose on buying the soundcard :D

ScottALot
10-13-2010, 05:21 PM
I've heard nothing but good things from these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010&cm_re=asus_xonar-_-29-132-010-_-Product

SBB
10-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I've got the Asus Xonar D2X hooked up to a pretty good mid range amp+speakers (Marantz 6003 + Morduant Short Mezzo 1s) and it sounds fantastic, has proper Burr-Brown DACs on it which make a big difference!

I had an X-Fi titanium before it and had loads of driver problems, including one where if I left the PC on for a day or so the audio output just turned to white noise and I had to reboot! So I definitely wouldnt recommend creative products ...

The Xonar on the other hand, no problems whatsoever

Donnie27
10-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Cooler Master HAF 922M
Corsair TX 750W
Gigabyte X58 UD3R-Pro motherboard
i930 at stock speed
Scythe Angle B cooler
2 1TB Samsung (Maxtore) HDD's
6GB of OCZ 1333NHz DDR3
Gigabyte 1GB GTX 460
X-Fi Platinum (PCI version) with I/O drive
MS KB and Mouse
Windows 7/64 Pro and Vista Ultimate 64Bit.
Connected to two Harmon Kardons. One newer 247 and the other an Old School Harmon Kardon 730 twin AMP. Diyer Mains, Center and Rear. The Sub is a 12" 500W JBL SB-120.

The STX sounds better but there's no way in Ha-Lll the Xonar sounds better, for anything IMHO!

lowfat
10-15-2010, 08:34 AM
I've got the Asus Xonar D2X hooked up to a pretty good mid range amp+speakers (Marantz 6003 + Morduant Short Mezzo 1s) and it sounds fantastic, has proper Burr-Brown DACs on it which make a big difference!

The Xonar on the other hand, no problems whatsoever

It is a great card. The D2X / D2 are still my favourite soundcards out there. You really can't beat its sound quality for analog output.

RAW-Raptor22
10-15-2010, 01:31 PM
How much better are these new soundcards to an Audigy 2ZS? Is it like night and day, or is it something one would have to really listen for?

I know it was a huge upgrade from Realtek 889 integrated to the Audigy 2ZS...

Donnie27
10-18-2010, 11:16 AM
How much better are these new soundcards to an Audigy 2ZS? Is it like night and day, or is it something one would have to really listen for?

I know it was a huge upgrade from Realtek 889 integrated to the Audigy 2ZS...

The X-Fi creates more sounds and has a easier time producing those sounds. This can easily be seen with Games where you here more multiple effects simultaneously. Asus can show 128 voices but then only do some of the 64 but more than 32. Audigy 2 ZS can only do 64 and one Environment instead of 4 like the X-Fi.

We tested this with the first Half-2 since it didn't feature any kind of EAX and had its own Home Spun engine. It did much better Elevation and Occlusion that that game's engine did. The other cards just tried but couldn't. Sure Xonar's great for music.

NO, IMHO, no sound card sounds night and day better. It's more like Morning to afternoon hehehe! Mine comes down to the sending analog Signals to Old and New school receivers that doesn't require much help. If anything, this can be over done. You know how I feel about some folks talking Product A sucks because they like product B LOL!

But as you full well know, once you go Old School Power AMP and Monster Speakers, you'll not look at most New School stuff costing less than $2K the same way:D

Donnie27
10-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Cooler Master HAF 922M
Corsair TX 750W
Gigabyte X58 UD3R-Pro motherboard
i930 at stock speed
Scythe Angle B cooler
2 1TB Samsung (Maxtore) HDD's
6GB of OCZ 1333NHz DDR3
Gigabyte 1GB GTX 460
X-Fi Platinum (PCI version) with I/O drive
MS KB and Mouse
Windows 7/64 Pro and Vista Ultimate 64Bit.
Connected to two Harmon Kardons. One newer 247 and the other an Old School Harmon Kardon 730 twin AMP. Driyer Mains, Center and Rear. The Sub is a 12" 500W JBL SB-120.

Oh, I forgot to add that I'm having no Sound Card Driver problems. Though I have worked on a Couple of systems that did. Now I'am still finding left-over ATI drivers that seem to cause some Video and sleep wake-up Problems.

My X-Fi started life in an Asus A8N 16X and AMD 3500+. It moved to a Conroe E6600 and Gigabyte P35, E8400 and Gigabyte & Foxconn P45, Q9550 and Asus P5Q. These and now in the system above with ZERO driver problems.

RAW-Raptor22
10-18-2010, 04:03 PM
The X-Fi creates more sounds and has a easier time producing those sounds. This can easily be seen with Games where you here more multiple effects simultaneously. Asus can show 128 voices but then only do some of the 64 but more than 32. Audigy 2 ZS can only do 64 and one Environment instead of 4 like the X-Fi.

We tested this with the first Half-2 since it didn't feature any kind of EAX and had its own Home Spun engine. It did much better Elevation and Occlusion that that game's engine did. The other cards just tried but couldn't. Sure Xonar's great for music.

NO, IMHO, no sound card sounds night and day better. It's more like Morning to afternoon hehehe! Mine comes down to the sending analog Signals to Old and New school receivers that doesn't require much help. If anything, this can be over done. You know how I feel about some folks talking Product A sucks because they like product B LOL!

But as you full well know, once you go Old School Power AMP and Monster Speakers, you'll not look at most New School stuff costing less than $2K the same way:D

Agreed, haha. :)

Looks like im in the market for a sound card next paycheck. :up:

Thanks Donnie, this Audigy 2ZS has served me well. :)

Donnie27
10-19-2010, 04:17 AM
Agreed, haha. :)

Looks like im in the market for a sound card next paycheck. :up:

Thanks Donnie, this Audigy 2ZS has served me well. :)

Yes, the Audigy 2 ZS doesn't suck and that's why I still have one in my wife's computer. Some folks will notice a bigger difference than others. Everyone's experiences are different.

RAW-Raptor22
10-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Yes, the Audigy 2 ZS doesn't suck and that's why I still have one in my wife's computer. Some folks will notice a bigger difference than others. Everyone's experiences are different.

Yep, I'm perfectly happy with it. :)

Its actually not much better than my OLD SB AWE64 Gold and thats an ISA card. It was actually the first soundcard to do 64 voices at once. :p: (though it did kind of cheat to accomplish this)

The AWE64 was decent at outputting analog stereo and had built in RCA outputs so I didnt have to use a minijack to 2x RCA adapter. :)

Trader88
10-19-2010, 09:20 PM
My vote is the Asus Xonar whichever model that fits your need. I'm using D2X which seems to be the best all around model. Excellent driver and best all around sound for games movies and music to me.

avddreamr
10-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Sadly the differences between the soundcards if they manifest itself will only manifest it self with speakers that are far beyond the quality that you would typically find hooked up to a computer, and none of them are made by Logitech.

If you have a good pair of headphones, there is something to be said for picking up a forte or an st/stx, but if you are strictly after sound quality and are on a budget, put all your money into a set of self amplified studio monitors, if you are going to be listening near field.

KRK's are reasonably priced on the used market.

After you get a great set of speakers, then you may want to invest in a soundcard, but not before, you might as well go after what's going to make the largest change in sound quality, first.

that being said... i have xonar stx.

Donnie27
10-20-2010, 04:17 AM
Yep, I'm perfectly happy with it. :)

Its actually not much better than my OLD SB AWE64 Gold and thats an ISA card. It was actually the first soundcard to do 64 voices at once. :p: (though it did kind of cheat to accomplish this)

The AWE64 was decent at outputting analog stereo and had built in RCA outputs so I didnt have to use a minijack to 2x RCA adapter. :)

Yes, I know many of them featured a 4 watt AMP as well, something they're just now copying.

Other specs!

http://www.jlaenterprises.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_34&products_id=273

It says Six watts but I think it is either 4 watts or the 6 watt figure is Peak.

RAW-Raptor22
10-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes, I know many of them featured a 4 watt AMP as well, something they're just now copying.

Other specs!

http://www.jlaenterprises.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_34&products_id=273

It says Six watts but I think it is either 4 watts or the 6 watt figure is Peak.

Yep, mine has one. Audio over headphones sounds better through the AWE64 than it does directly plugged into my 2ZS, however the ZS sounds better when the headphones are connected through my Kenwood amp. :)

IIRC there were two audio out minijacks in addition to the RCA plugs, one minijack was amplified and one was a preout so you had options. :)

My AWE64 is still working great in my old K6 computer that I mess around with when I am bored or feel like playing some old school games... :p:

Donnie27
10-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Yep, mine has one. Audio over headphones sounds better through the AWE64 than it does directly plugged into my 2ZS, however the ZS sounds better when the headphones are connected through my Kenwood amp. :)

IIRC there were two audio out minijacks in addition to the RCA plugs, one minijack was amplified and one was a preout so you had options. :)

My AWE64 is still working great in my old K6 computer that I mess around with when I am bored or feel like playing some old school games... :p:

There are different versions of that card. I have to "De-Tune" my analog out on my Old School receiver while blasting it on the new one.

We both know wayyyyy the hell too many folks are spending tons of money and wasting their time with expensive little tiny tin can amps when a good old school receiver's headphone out would CRUSH many of them (many, not all). for almost one tenth the cost. Then add to that they are more flexible and able to match almost ANY listening tastes:rolleyes:

I had one jerk who'd never tried it, try to downplay it as some kind of Placebo effect:rofl: My Harmon Kardon can blow up a set of Sennheisser HD-600 LOL!

The only negative is some of the old school receivers will color and mess the Creative CMSS3D effects this wouldn't matter with cards like the Xonar because they do a crappy Job of it anyway.

RAW-Raptor22
10-20-2010, 04:30 PM
There are different versions of that card. I have to "De-Tune" my analog out on my Old School receiver while blasting it on the new one.

We both know wayyyyy the hell too many folks are spending tons of money and wasting their time with expensive little tiny tin can amps when a good old school receiver's headphone out would CRUSH many of them (many, not all). for almost one tenth the cost. Then add to that they are more flexible and able to match almost ANY listening tastes:rolleyes:

I had one jerk who'd never tried it, try to downplay it as some kind of Placebo effect:rofl: My Harmon Kardon can blow up a set of Sennheisser HD-600 LOL!

The only negative is some of the old school receivers will color and mess the Creative CMSS3D effects this wouldn't matter with cards like the Xonar because they do a crappy Job of it anyway.

Ha. Like when I was using my old 1973 Sanyo 2+2 Stereo amp and reciever, I think the damned thing still has tubes in it... :p: :D

I liked the Sanyo because it was just straight powerful amplification, no extra Dolby Surround computer wrangling. I actually have use a code to turn that off on my late 90s Kenwood. With the Kenwood, I pass straight 4.1 (recoded from stereo using CMSS) to the receiver and it just amplifies... :p:

I know my Kenwood and my Sanyo would blow up my HD465s no problemo, they would blow up my KLH 3 way stand ups no problem, haha. :p: :shakes:

The Sanyo is better at making loud noises, boomy bass, and powerful mids. The Kenwood is better at making a detailed high end and more sophisticated bass, though I have to fiddle the settings to make the mids sound good.

Donnie27
10-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Ha. Like when I was using my old 1973 Sanyo 2+2 Stereo amp and reciever, I think the damned thing still has tubes in it... :p: :D

I liked the Sanyo because it was just straight powerful amplification, no extra Dolby Surround computer wrangling. I actually have use a code to turn that off on my late 90s Kenwood. With the Kenwood, I pass straight 4.1 (recoded from stereo using CMSS) to the receiver and it just amplifies... :p:

I know my Kenwood and my Sanyo would blow up my HD465s no problemo, they would blow up my KLH 3 way stand ups no problem, haha. :p: :shakes:

The Sanyo is better at making loud noises, boomy bass, and powerful mids. The Kenwood is better at making a detailed high end and more sophisticated bass, though I have to fiddle the settings to make the mids sound good.

Then your hearing is close to mine because those are my same observations of my old Sanyo with built in 8-Track. I'd thought it sucked until cassettes made it sound better. Then when I connected the first DAT (Digital Audio Tape) to it, I was blown away.

Speaking of Boomy bass, get your hands on one of those Magnavox Consoles:rofl:

Anyway, the best sound card for cheap computer speakers might not be the best for a full blown systems. What great for games might suck for Music and what's great for Music could suck for Movies and so. I'd pick the sound card for the Job and I'd NEVER use a Xonar as a Gaming card=P Sorry Asus Fans, my none problematic X-Fi/s have spoiled me with GREAT sound effects during games. As well as ASIO, 24-96 and even 24-192:up:

Last but not least, I still can't see paying that much for any card costing more than $125=P The card might have $40 in hardware on it. Less stuff than a $35 Motherboard on ANY and ALL of them=P Hell no, that goes for the Xonar STX, Creative HT-HD, Auzentech HDAV and the rest of the overpriced Crap! But as long as Schills, Fans and the Sheep who following them buy them, they'll never have a realistic price:rolleyes:

Johnny87au
11-23-2010, 02:28 AM
Forte wins!!