PDA

View Full Version : A new addition to the family

Ch@pS
09-29-2010, 11:43 AM
So after bugging a mate of mine to sell it to me for years, I finally have... a NAD 3140 Stereo AMP. :D

http://i52.tinypic.com/10g9utt.jpg

Bought for the relatively low sum of $45.(great deal in SA). You had to hit her for her to work every now and then, found that one random cable was making contact with the housing, moved the cable and problem went away. :D

At the mo all she has in her is my technics Turntable, and shes powering some Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s, but I'll experiment and see what sounds best. I will probably end up passing through sound via my NAD T741 and use the 3140 to drive my reach channels(heck or my fronts if it sounds better) for my HT/Gaming PC.

After a good polish, replacing fuses and cleaning contacts, I'm sure I'll have another great piece of kit bought for next to nothing to add to my collection. :D

Bobsama
09-30-2010, 05:19 AM
So after bugging a mate of mine to sell it to me for years, I finally have... a NAD 3140 Stereo AMP. :D

http://i52.tinypic.com/10g9utt.jpg

Bought for the relatively low sum of $45.(great deal in SA). You had to hit her for her to work every now and then, found that one random cable was making contact with the housing, moved the cable and problem went away. :D

At the mo all she has in her is my technics Turntable, and shes powering some Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s, but I'll experiment and see what sounds best. I will probably end up passing through sound via my NAD T741 and use the 3140 to drive my reach channels(heck or my fronts if it sounds better) for my HT/Gaming PC.

After a good polish, replacing fuses and cleaning contacts, I'm sure I'll have another great piece of kit bought for next to nothing to add to my collection. :D

Get the int.amp sent in for service or test it for a while with cheap loudspeakers. If you've had problems so far, there may be more wrong.

Nanometer
10-04-2010, 08:37 PM
just out of curiosity, why would you want this?

Ch@pS
10-04-2010, 10:51 PM
@ Bobsama - I will do, I have a guy whose gonig to look at it over the weekend.

@ Nanometer - Because when playing records, the 3140 sounds better than my T741 + external Phonostage. In addition it drives a pair of Denon overtures(25watt 16 ohm) I have as my rears perfectly well, and it gives me greater control of the sound. For example, my T741 can boost the rear channels by up to 10db, but even with this in place, the rears are still far too soft for movies etc. All I need to do is pass through the rear sound from the T741 to the 3140 and I now have much better sounding rears with enough power to balance the system. I'm still playing around though.