PDA

View Full Version : Can i Powdercoat DDC ?

ultimeus
09-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Hey guys, I was thinking to my build, and looking pictures, I wonder if it's ok to paint/powder coat the impeller and Ddc chassis?

As somebody tries already ? I can't see that blue impeller anymore.

Waterlogged
09-28-2010, 10:47 PM
If you don't mind throwing the balance off on the impeller, sure, go ahead. ;) You'd likely also melt it in the process of curing the powder coat.

Zeus
09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
The housing and impeller are plastic. No way you can powder coat plastic. Painting is possible but i would not risk painting the impeller. If the paint comes of it will end up in your water-- bad idea. I don't think the paint will stand the force of the water for a long period anyway.

How about a top that's not translucent?

ultimeus
09-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Hmm what I was thinking, thanks waterlogged

Dyes could be a solution if done with acid, not in boiling water maybe.

ultimeus
09-28-2010, 11:00 PM
The housing and impeller are plastic. No way you can powder coat plastic. Painting is possible but i would not risk painting the impeller. If the paint comes of it will end up in your water-- bad idea. I don't think the paint will stand the force of the water for a long period anyway.

How about a top that's not translucent?

I forgot plastic can't be powercoated :)

If I don't want to hide my pump it need to have a acylic top,

I don't like so much white acetal (grey-white theme build)

Huww
09-28-2010, 11:28 PM
I wish you could choose the color of your impeller on a ddc just like I wish you could choose the color of the connectors on a motherboard.

Only in my dreams :(

Waterlogged
09-28-2010, 11:45 PM
I wish you could choose the color of your impeller on a ddc just like I wish you could choose the color of the connectors on a motherboard.

Only in my dreams :(

Heh, this sounds a bit like a guy I knew down in Pensacola, Fl back in my hardcore gaming days. His dream was for a modular MoBo, he wanted to be able to pick all the slots, I/O ports and chipsets for the perfect MoBo and when a better chipset/I/O port/slot came out...all you would do is replace that on the MoBo.

ultimeus
09-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Heh, this sounds a bit like a guy I knew down in Pensacola, Fl back in my hardcore gaming days. His dream was for a modular MoBo, he wanted to be able to pick all the slots, I/O ports and chipsets for the perfect MoBo and when a better chipset/I/O port/slot came out...all you would do is replace that on the MoBo.

I've think the same thing a million time. :rolleyes:

Manufaturer have to go that way

Church
09-29-2010, 12:23 AM
WL & ultimeus: .. extra connector for each "component/part of motherboard" .. i see motherboard's price doubling or trippling, more then offsetting ability to get only needed parts. +common connector type for all parts will mean it will be overkill in bus bandwith for many components not requiring that many, and possible lack of bandwith for some more powerful ones. As an analogy you don't need pcie x4 for serial port, yet for one or two gpus it might be bottleneck. More problems - getting later on market unlike vendors making common designed motherboards, +need to redesign those connectors for nextgen hardware requiring even more bandwith. Take this together with relatively short life of PC parts these days before they are considered outdated / due to upgrade. Then there is problem of ensuring compatibility/interconnectibility of all possible parts/combinations (including made by other vendors) - analogy of common PC HW vs Apple - later one can spend way less on testing/debugging, and result usually is way more stable and less hindered by bugs.

ultimeus
09-29-2010, 12:38 AM
WL & ultimeus: .. extra connector for each "component/part of motherboard" .. i see motherboard's price doubling or trippling, more then offsetting ability to get only needed parts. +common connector type for all parts will mean it will be overkill in bus bandwith for many components not requiring that many, and possible lack of bandwith for some more powerful ones. As an analogy you don't need pcie x4 for serial port, yet for one or two gpus it might be bottleneck. More problems - getting later on market unlike vendors making common designed motherboards, +need to redesign those connectors for nextgen hardware requiring even more bandwith. Take this together with relatively short life of PC parts these days before they are considered outdated / due to upgrade. Then there is problem of ensuring compatibility/interconnectibility of all possible parts/combinations (including made by other vendors) - analogy of common PC HW vs Apple - later one can spend way less on testing/debugging, and result usually is way more stable and less hindered by bugs.

The best for me will be changing plastic parts like pci-e, sata connectors, ram, etc to desired color. Making semi-modular like this everyone could choose his fav manufacture/ or best need with his personal color scheme.

Super OT: I'll kill my mom for a white pcb motherboard, and I know I'm not the only one ;)

Church
09-29-2010, 03:44 AM
Super OT: I'll kill my mom for a white pcb motherboard, and I know I'm not the only one ;)
Paint it white with some spray paint :), just close slots and alike with duct tape :)
(And don't blame me for anything that might go wrong. I never tried that and haven't anybody seen done that, it's just a quick idea of mine :) . And i'm guessing you won't be able to RMA it)

ericFX1984
09-29-2010, 05:04 AM
plasticoat might work, but I would only do it with a new impeller or one that has not been used with anything other than water

Waterlogged
09-29-2010, 09:28 AM

Hey, you don't have to explain the logistical nightmare to me, I beat him over the head with much of the same info. ;):D

Church
09-29-2010, 10:37 AM
I'd love to get reasonably priced expansion card with modern connector and all-in-one with all that legacy stuff in single card though. Something like one compact low profile pciex1 card with lppt/2*serial/2*floppy/2*pata/gameport. As common bus gets upgraded to whatever will be next after pcie, or when usb gets obsoleted by lightpeak one might add to these 4*usb ports/firewire and update card connector type.
I don't like current implementations of such cards (usually they are made for only one of those old legacy interfaces, meaning that you need to overpopulate with big pile of such cards to get more then one type of legacy interface, even though higher bandwith bus like pcie might handle all of them through one connection; then as it's niche product sold in small volume it results in overly expensive premium priced ware). Limitations of these current legacy cards make me rather forget about old hardware and try get by without it.
If someone ever makes such all-in-one pcie card for $50, that for shure would make into my buying list. But i doubt to see it ever realised and being reasonably priced at that.

ultimeus
09-29-2010, 12:29 PM
plasticoat might work, but I would only do it with a new impeller or one that has not been used with anything other than water

Thanks, I might give a shot

Stealth42o
09-29-2010, 03:05 PM
You can chrome plastic...... I suppose. :shrug: