PDA

View Full Version : Monitor flickering on white backgrounds!

Carfax
09-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Damn, my monitor is starting to flicker slightly on white backgrounds!:mad:

I've had my Samsung 305t Plus for about a year and a half now, and I love it dearly......but I've noticed that it's starting to flicker on white backgrounds.

At first I thought it was the drivers for my video cards, so I changed them and the problem was still there. Then I disconnected my SLI bridge connector, cleaned it, reconnected and still no change.

Finally, I removed all both of my 480s and hooked my monitor up to my GTS 250 which I use as a PhysX card. The flickering was still there. Last but not least, I checked the monitor cables themselves, switching out both the power and DVI and still the problem persisted.

So I'm 99.9% sure that it's the monitor thats at fault. Unfortunately, I don't have another monitor on hand to really be certain however.

It's not bad as yet, and is still very tolerable. But I know how these things work. The problem will likely proceed to get worse over time, until it becomes unbearable.

So anyone know of a way to fix this problem, if it is indeed fixable? I find it strange that it would affect whites only. There is no flickering as far as I can discern on colored backgrounds.....which is good.

I haven't contacted Samsung's technical support yet btw but I will. Likely they won't be of much help though, seeing as the monitor is not in production anymore..

I really love this monitor though. Paid 1300 USD for it, and it has the best image quality I've ever seen on a display. I hope I can fix whatever issue is causing it.

Carfax
09-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I just contacted Samsung's customer service, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be :)

My monitor's warranty is good up until November 2011, so even if I can't fix it, I can send it to them for repair or replacement. Unless I can't fix the flickering white backgrounds myself, I'll definitely do that.

In the mean time, I'm going to get a replacement monitor. Any suggestions?

Carfax
09-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Great, now the problem seems to have corrected itself. :confused: I no longer see any flickering at all on white backgrounds..

I guess I'll keep any eye on it, and before my warranty expires, I'll send it back to Samsung for repair..

*Edit* Nevermind, spoke too soon :rolleyes:

The problem seems to manifest in accordance with how long the monitor has been turned on.

Panther_Seraphi
09-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Something doesnt like heat.

Could be some caps coming close to their limit of electrical properties due to heat and getting older.

STEvil
09-20-2010, 03:10 AM
Try turning down the brightness or backlight.

likely a capacitor.

Carfax
09-20-2010, 05:36 AM
Yeah, this monitor does get pretty hot. It uses 130w, but believe it or not, thats pretty low compared to the S-IPS screens like the Dell 3008WFP which uses 250w :eek:

And turning down the backlight doesn't seem to remedy the problem when I use the monitor brightness control, but if I use the video card control panel, it definitely has an impact. Dropping the brightness down a few notches stops the flickering, although IQ is reduced..

Anyway, check this out (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400147275115&rvr_id=142809218399&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*I8&GUID=2f4fd6f712b0a0aad3a67076ff471f56&itemid=400147275115&ff4=263602_263622).

This guy is selling CCFL backlights for the Samsung 305T and the XL30 for 116.99 plus shipping..

He claims that problems such as dimming, flickering etc are caused by a bad backlight. I'm wanting to believe him, because the flickering is most noticeable on white backgrounds, which uses the backlight the most.

As long as Samsung will honor my warranty, I doubt I would ever buy such a thing, but at least it's another option.. I plan to hang on to my monitor for as long as possible after all ;)

Carfax
10-03-2010, 07:14 AM
I think the problem with my monitor is gone! :bounces:

I accidentally left my monitor on for a few hours (in stand by mode) after shutting my computer down yesterday, and for some reason, it seems that doing so fixed the flickering issue I was having!

I haven't seen any flickering at all, even after playing numerous games and opening multiple windows with white backgrounds.

I already called Samsung and set up a return shipment for repair, so I guess I may cancel it! Or I might wait a bit because the flickering could return.