PDA

View Full Version : Deleting RAID volume

Carfax
09-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Just curious, but I know that when you delete your RAID volume, you lose all the data..

Is that similar to a reformat in a way, or is the data still recoverable?

No, I didn't accidentally delete or lose my RAID volume. I deleted it on purpose, and I was curious as to whether I would still have to reformat afterwards to completely remove all the data. ;)

Carfax
09-18-2010, 04:08 PM
If you're planning on adding it back into another array then don't worry about it, the whole disk will be over-written when the volume is synced up again. When I remove a drive from an array and intend to use it as a single disk again, I usually do a single-pass zero of the whole disk just so that the OS doesn't get confused if it finds an old superblock/partition table/MFT.

Yeah, I just rebuilt another array so I guess I don't have to worry about it... Thanks :up:

Thats the quickest damn format ever! :D

zanzabar
09-18-2010, 05:59 PM
depending on your controller u can delete an array and then make a new one with identical settings and then no initialize it and it will recover. and the data would still be there until u wipe the drive but i dont think that raid0 would do u much good to recover since u would have to have all of the drives with none being used since u deleted the array.