PDA

View Full Version : 4chan attacks MPAA’s website with DDoS

phelan1777
09-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Members of the notorious 4chan image board have launched a coordinated a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack against mpaa.org,
(http://www.rlslog.net/4chan-attacks-mpaas-website-with-ddos/)

<><><Article><><> (http://www.rlslog.net/4chan-attacks-mpaas-website-with-ddos/)

www.mpaa.org <seems to be down lol

Serra
09-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I had never heard that the MPAA was hiring people to DDoS pirate sites. Now, I am against pirating because I am for respecting ones right to profit by their works and behaving legally*, but I will agree that their actions cross the line. That's vigilante justice, and vigilante justice is counterproductive. Heck, is it even legal to do that?

Now this reaction is itself vigilante justice... the question I have is whether the folks at 4chan would plan on stopping if/when the MPAA does. If so I could consider it a fitting (if incorrect) response, but if not then it really degrades into corporate terrorism IMO. There's a fine line there.

*I am not saying that I agree with all of the laws that pertain to digitial copyrights or anything else. Only that I believe in working in the system towards positive change, not picking and choosing which laws I feel should apply to me.

SoulsCollective
09-18-2010, 08:46 AM
INTERNET SUPERHEROES!

Do your part, Comrades! (http://www.partyvan.info/wiki/Main_Page)

zanzabar
09-18-2010, 10:10 AM
I had never heard that the MPAA was hiring people to DDoS pirate sites. Now, I am against pirating because I am for respecting ones right to profit by their works and behaving legally*, but I will agree that their actions cross the line. That's vigilante justice, and vigilante justice is counterproductive. Heck, is it even legal to do that?

Now this reaction is itself vigilante justice... the question I have is whether the folks at 4chan would plan on stopping if/when the MPAA does. If so I could consider it a fitting (if incorrect) response, but if not then it really degrades into corporate terrorism IMO. There's a fine line there.

*I am not saying that I agree with all of the laws that pertain to digitial copyrights or anything else. Only that I believe in working in the system towards positive change, not picking and choosing which laws I feel should apply to me.

i dont think that a DDOS is not illegal in india were the attacks on the "pirate sites" (even though they attacked linux and open distribution sites), if the MPAA or RIAA was found to tell them to do it then maybe they could but it would be hard if not imposable to prove, and even if it was i dont think that any actions would be taken as lobbyist groups never get in trouble

STEvil
09-18-2010, 02:42 PM

I dont disagree with you, but I see the DDoS as more of an internet soap opera. It doesnt do much in reality because it doesnt happen forever and there are ways around it.

Sn0wm@n
09-18-2010, 02:50 PM
ddos is real and its real damage .... ohh and its ilegal ....

masterg
09-18-2010, 03:09 PM
MPAA site is back up :shakes:

Hickeydog
09-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Well, what did the MPAA expect when they DoS-ed torrent sights? Not all torrents are illegal.

Sn0wm@n
09-18-2010, 03:16 PM
huh who's the mpaa ????

Hickeydog
09-18-2010, 03:18 PM
huh who's the mpaa ????

Motion Picture Association of America. Basically, they push for the most extreme anti-piracy policies. For instance, they wanted the government to be able to delete anything off of your hard drive that they felt might have been pirated. They also launched a series of DoS attacks against torrent sites, and 4 chan has responded by DDoS-ing their website. Like they couldn't have seen that one coming. :rofl:

Sn0wm@n
09-18-2010, 03:22 PM
do you have any proof that the mpaa.org launched a ddos attack on torrent sites???? or is it rumors only

saaya
09-18-2010, 03:26 PM
how can i help? :D

Hickeydog
09-18-2010, 03:36 PM
do you have any proof that the mpaa.org launched a ddos attack on torrent sites???? or is it rumors only

http://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-outfit-threatens-to-dos-uncooperative-torrent-sites-100905/

Looks like I was mistaken. They threatened to DoS (and knowing the RIAA and MPAA, I wouldn't put it past them do it) torrenting sites. I don't have any proof that they did. My bad. :shakes:

Jowy Atreides
09-18-2010, 05:01 PM
how can i help? :D

low ion orbit cannon

go research :cool:

masterg
09-18-2010, 05:53 PM
http://onlysoftwareblog.com/2010/09/film-firms-hire-aiplex-software-to-check-illegal-download/

The film industry has been trying its best to curtail piracy, if not eradicate it. The beginning of the year saw a joint front formed by Hollyood and Bollywood studios that was later named Alliance Against Copyright Theft (AACT).

Taking its task forward, the industry has hired Aiplex Software to deliver copyright takedown notices. If these are ignored, they have been given the right to bring out the big guns and hit the site with a denial-of-service (DoS) attack that host illegal torrents.

Says Girish Kumar of Aiplex Software, “Most films release on Friday morning at 10 am in India and by afternoon it’s on the internet. What we at Aiplex do is see all those links on the net. We find the hosting computer server and send them a copyright infringement notice because they’re not meant to have those links. If they don’t remove the link, we send them a second notice and ask them again to remove it. If that too doesn’t work, then a denial-of-service attack is sanctioned on the computer servers that is hosting the site.

Source:-http://www.indiantelevision.com/aac/y2k10/aac589.php

thats what they are doing from what ive found

m0da
09-18-2010, 05:54 PM

mpaa.org did not launch the attacks themselves.

mpaa.org hired Aiplex to DoS the torrent servers. Aiplex did it and admitted to doing it.

4chan/tpb fought back by DDoS'ing Aiplex. They took it down quite fast, and then they decided to go after mpaa.org.

read all about it here: http://torrentfreak.com/4chan-ddos-takes-down-mpaa-and-anti-piracy-websites-100918/

masterg
09-18-2010, 05:58 PM
mpaa.org did not launch the attacks themselves.

mpaa.org hired Aiplex to DDoS the torrent servers. Aiplex did it and admitted to doing it.

4chan/tpb fought back by DDoS'ing Aiplex. They took it down quite fast, and then they decided to go after mpaa.org.

read all about it here: http://torrentfreak.com/4chan-ddos-takes-down-mpaa-and-anti-piracy-websites-100918/

4chan didn't ddos aiplex, somebody beat them to it.

http://erictric.com/2010/09/18/4chan-initiates-ddos-attack-on-aiplex-mpaa-websites/

Movieman
09-18-2010, 06:00 PM
DDOS attacks aren't worth the time to do them.
It's like that guy in the Whale Wars soap opera with his tactics.
If he wanted to send a real message he'd ram the Japanese ships instead of these stupid games.
If the head of the MPAA came home to find his house burned to the ground then he'd get the message.
The MPAA is nothing but a terrorist organisation in the way they deal with people and one fights terorrism with terrorism.

Sn0wm@n
09-18-2010, 06:09 PM
http://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-outfit-threatens-to-dos-uncooperative-torrent-sites-100905/

Looks like I was mistaken. They threatened to DoS (and knowing the RIAA and MPAA, I wouldn't put it past them do it) torrenting sites. I don't have any proof that they did. My bad. :shakes:

you trust this source .... i hope not ... because trusting some sort of hackjob torrent news blog about something threatning torrents isnt un-biased ...

Serra
09-18-2010, 06:53 PM
The MPAA is nothing but a terrorist organisation in the way they deal with people and one fights terorrism with terrorism.

An eye for an eye just makes the whole world blind.
- Mahatma Gandhi (paraphrased)

Movieman
09-18-2010, 07:06 PM
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world blind.
- Mahatma Gandhi (paraphrased)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke.

I watched a utube video today sent to me in email.
There's this guy at a Alaska State Fair standing there holding a sign that says " Impeach Obama"
Now he's not screaming at people, or creating a disturbance but these "security guards" come over and do their Gestapo thing, then wrestle this guy who looks every bit of 60+ years old to the ground and handcuff him.
Then the cops show up and take the guy away. What law did he break?
We are guaranteed freedom of speech and freedom of assembly under the constiturion but it seems today that these "Rights" are being stepped on and no one is willing to take a stand against what is going on.
There had to be 500+ people there.
Where was the indignation that they should have felt?
Were is the anger that should be felt when people see their Constitutional rights being ignored?
Think on this a minute:
What would those 4 cops do if that crowd walked at them and physically took that man out of their custody? Shoot them all?
When the police break the law as they did in this video then it is not only the right but the duty of citizens to stand up and say ENOUGH!
Watch for yourself and judge:
http://vodpod.com/watch/4324079-man-assaulted-arrested-at-alaska-state-fair-for-impeach-obama-sign

STEvil
09-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Dont forget that the RIAA (and MPAA, as much as they want to be seen as different organizations and may present as such, they're basically in the same bed) want to put radio tuners in your cell phones so they can collect royalties.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/08/radio-riaa-mandatory-fm-radio-in-cell-phones-is-the-future.ars

masterg
09-18-2010, 08:03 PM
I dont know movieman, the article says its private property. if that is correct then he technically doesnt have that right. i dont think they should have threw him down and sat on him though. if it was public property yea thats unconstitutional. its a fine line

Movieman
09-18-2010, 08:18 PM
I dont know movieman, the article says its private property. if that is correct then he technically doesnt have that right. i dont think they should have threw him down and sat on him though. if it was public property yea thats unconstitutional. its a fine line

My understanding is it as a state fair so I "assumed" it was state(public) property..
If it was private property then you and I agree, he had to leave when directed to do so..

masterg
09-18-2010, 08:30 PM
yea, its just a fine line and its not getting any broader

STEvil
09-18-2010, 10:29 PM
The only fine line is before the video which we dont know. He could have been acting in an obnoxious manner... but I doubt it by the actions of the rented security.

What is on video is pretty clear: his rights were violated.

Movieman
09-18-2010, 10:55 PM
The only fine line is before the video which we dont know. He could have been acting in an obnoxious manner... but I doubt it by the actions of the rented security.

What is on video is pretty clear: his rights were violated.

I guess the things that bother me are the direction I see things going.
The police( not in this case, just bullys here) are tending to act less like police and more like a paramilitary force.
That is NOT what they are supposed to be.
Things like what we saw in the news the other day.
A young guy is standing on a sidewalk while his buddy is being tackled by the cops. ALL this guy does is get on his phone and call his parents to ask them to call in the state police to stop these out of control cops.
What happens? The cop tackles this kid? WHy?
Then we see that there is no control of these cops.
None are repremanded or released from the Police dept.
If they can't stand the stress then get the hell out of the job.
Then this taser crap. Used like cattle prods against the population and again, not the intent of the "tool" at all.
We need to stand up,confront these people and say "NO, that is enough of this crap"
I'm back to the point that had a few hundred of those bystanders at the Alaska state fair waded in the point would be made one way or the other.
Either the security people would have fled or they would have opened fire on the crowd but either way the point would have been made.
Sometimes blood has to be shed in the defense of liberty and not always in foreign wars but also here to let the people at the top KNOW that WE THE People will stand up for our rights.
(Steps off of soapbox)

STEvil
09-19-2010, 12:08 AM
I agree that more needs to happen when a police officer is abusing his power. Part of the problem in this is the courts. They would rather put you in jail for smoking a joint than reprimand an officer or PD for not going after known grow ops.

We have known meth/crack and grow houses where I live. The police are doing nothing.

[XC] Oj101
09-19-2010, 12:52 AM
I hope those two rent-a-cops get charged :mad:

slaveondope
09-19-2010, 01:06 AM
I hope those two rent-a-cops get charged :mad:

They wont.
Maybe a suspension at best if the people of the community involved spoke up loudly enough but Im sure they are too afraid of receiving the same fate as the man they would like to defend.

Thats the plan, to get everyone use to seeing it so we become more submissive.

Google "Police State" videos.

Movieman
09-19-2010, 01:10 AM
I agree that more needs to happen when a police officer is abusing his power. Part of the problem in this is the courts. They would rather put you in jail for smoking a joint than reprimand an officer or PD for not going after known grow ops.

We have known meth/crack and grow houses where I live. The police are doing nothing.

Options:
1) Call Police chief and ask why nothing is done.
record his response and if not what you want to hear send it to the local newspapers and TV stations
2)Call your political leaders
3) Make signs and stick them on the property..
"Crack House in operation right here..FU Cops!"
'The Cops in this town are :banana::banana::banana:s afraid to come after us"
"Want Crack? Come here. The cops are afraid to"
Psychology,piss off the police to get them to do what they should have in the first place..

[XC] Oj101
09-19-2010, 03:03 AM
In South Africa, where corruption is rife, they would've been ripped apart by the crowd. I saw red when they took him down :mad: Arrest him if it's private property and he's trespassing/not leaving when told to, but there's no reason to take an old man down like that. Disrespectful trash :mad:

saaya
09-19-2010, 03:03 AM
If he wanted to send a real message he'd ram the Japanese ships instead of these stupid games.
If the head of the MPAA came home to find his house burned to the ground then he'd get the message.
so your saying violence is the answer? :eek:

STEvil
09-19-2010, 05:02 AM
Options:
1) Call Police chief and ask why nothing is done.
record his response and if not what you want to hear send it to the local newspapers and TV stations
2)Call your political leaders
3) Make signs and stick them on the property..
"Crack House in operation right here..FU Cops!"
'The Cops in this town are :banana::banana::banana:s afraid to come after us"
"Want Crack? Come here. The cops are afraid to"
Psychology,piss off the police to get them to do what they should have in the first place..

already been done. :down:

Serra
09-19-2010, 07:37 AM
"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?
- Mahatma Gandhi

No-one is suggesting that nothing be done. There are, however, better ways to react.

Consider that India had been under British colonial authority, and under the terms of it people there were far more downtrodden than we are by the MPAA (I don't think it is even fair to use the two in the same sentence). Yet eventually the British were defeated in no small part by nonviolent resistance and demonstrations.

If the MPAA did do this or funded someone to do it (and to be honest I have yet to see any solid proof they did), they have broken laws and could be sued or prosecuted for having done so. In addition, there are further alternatives: boycott products they cover or work to create laws that undermine what the MPAA does.

I would further argue that in this case having pirates terrorizing large, influential companies is 98% more likely to result in greater copyright protections under the law and increased crackdown versus pirates, not the reverse.

n00b 0f l337
09-19-2010, 07:57 AM
so your saying violence is the answer?
The world has always changed, often over times of revolution and violence. Idealists and leaders have said peace can be maintained when people discuss and negotiate; when a group such as the RIAA and MPAA does not allow any room to negotiate, then violence is sometimes the answer.

Luckily for them, they attacked a large group of people who generally would rather stay in their comfy chair and throw another hot pocket in the microwave.

But they shouldn't shout up in arms when the hot-pocketeer's mobilize and DDOS them.

PaganII
09-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Long time ago there were attempts to ban record players and records as they " took food out of the mouths of live musicians". Before most of us were born. :)

W1zzard
09-19-2010, 12:32 PM

if done right and with the right botnet behind you, you can down almost any site

Kingcarcas
09-19-2010, 02:16 PM
They do ram the Jap ships :yepp:

stangracin3
09-19-2010, 02:47 PM
the MPAA site is pretty well :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed right now, takes ~1 minute to load past a white screen, god knows how long to completely load the page

H2O
09-19-2010, 02:54 PM
They went on to hit the RIAA as well.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/19/riaa-attack/